amc-18 (105W)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KennyR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
W W WV
Looking for advice- if skew or focal distance would cause the channels on amc-18 (105W) - 3920 V 30000 to work at night and not during the day. sun on dish dosnt make a diff.
Openbox S-9, G-Box, 92" uni-mesh, bsc621-2 lnb, 100ft quad shield rg-6. thanks for any help.

Skew and Focal length, not being optimum, could cause reception problems. When the sun is above the horizon, the "noise floor" may rise enough to overwhelm your received signal. Another contributing factor could be not being aimed at the"Center of the BOX" but off to the location where the satellite is during the night time hours. Have you tried peaking the skew and FL? That's where I'd start. Another thing to try is to aim the dish when you notice the Q dropping? In an attempt to get it back. Had a similar conversation here http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/255501-now-its-here-now-its-gone.html

Thanks Fat Air. that center of the box "is" hard to find, I haven't tried adjusting skew and fl again yet, 105 and 137 is the only problem sats so far, Extension cord and 5" tv time again soon.

Maybe, just maybe, you'll see an improvement throughout the whole arc when the feed is set for optimum. I don't doubt it. I actually don't like my Openbox for "tweaking" as it appears too easy to get a Q reading of 70. Then, it takes A LOT to get an indication of any more improvement. I know there are TP's, that peaked, are a 70 on the Openbox, and only indicate 60 on the 9200 or 3500. A little tweaking will show itself as an improvement with the 9200 of a few, to many, points of Q, where the Openbox Q, if already registering ~70, doesn't change. Putting it simply, I'm glad I had the 3500 and 9200 to "tweak"the BUD in with.

Last edited:
I agree with you Fat Air, I have a Mercury II that hangs out with my 5" tv when trying to adjust the dishes. where my lnb is right now i peaked for the nbc mux on 72w, ku works good there 72Q, 101w and a few others, no luck with 125w pbs. c-band across the los on most tp's are 72 Q to 85 Q (S-9, mercury is less). I have the black uni-mesh cover over the lnb housing, do you think heat build up could be a issue there?

Well electronics, as it heats, generates more noise. So it could be a factor. I've not used feed covers since the late 80's, just seal all connectors well.

thanks, I will try that as well. tweaked my 36" fortec this morning, leveled the motor instead of the pole this time worked, (I have the 2" pipe on a 6 bolt colar pipe 10' up) got nbc mux 72 Q now with it same as the bud,was in the 50's, so now i can work on the bud and recheck center, skew and optimize the fd for c-band and hope that fixes my problem.

To Fat Air, thanks for your help and advise. After fooling with the lnb some with no improvment its back where it started from pretty much. I picked up this dish local, about 6 mile away so I assumed,(never assume anything I know) that the polar axis and declination were on. I was wrong by 2 deg. I was viewing the arc from 72w to 137w 70's and above Q on all. but after adjusting axis and dec.close to what it should be I am now watching cars tv at this time. I know I still need to fine tune and probably adjust east west a little with the little tv, I was using the squak meter this evening and it was getting late.every Improvement makes this hobby all the more worth while.

Maybe, just maybe, you'll see an improvement throughout the whole arc when the feed is set for optimum. I don't doubt it. I actually don't like my Openbox for "tweaking" as it appears too easy to get a Q reading of 70. Then, it takes A LOT to get an indication of any more improvement. I know there are TP's, that peaked, are a 70 on the Openbox, and only indicate 60 on the 9200 or 3500. A little tweaking will show itself as an improvement with the 9200 of a few, to many, points of Q, where the Openbox Q, if already registering ~70, doesn't change. Putting it simply, I'm glad I had the 3500 and 9200 to "tweak"the BUD in with.

I hate my OpenBox S9 for finding and tweaking on C Band or KU... I will use anyone of the other receivers I have instead. I agree that the readings on Quality on the OpenBox are abnormally high and almost phony...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts