Amc 4

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hhhmmm

Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Good evening

I work for a small cable company in Northern BC and we want to put RTPi on our system

I am using a 76cm Starchoice Oval dish with a Starchoice LNB ( I think it should Work)

The reciever I am using is a Commercial Reciever
Tandberg tt1220http://www.goamt.com/products/Tandberg/TT1220.asp

Here is link too the technical specs of this reciever
http://www.tandbergtv.com/public/site/Primary/productdocs28/TT1220_v10.pdf

I was hoping that one of you PRO's could tell me if this reciever will work ,I suggested to the higher ups that we should just use a regular FTA reciever ....but you know how management is ...

I have been playing with this for last couple days with no luck

Even hooked up a DTV reciever to make sure i was on right bird (thanks too ever posted that handy info )

anyways i hope someone can give me a hint or a suggestion

Maybe this might help also

Details
Latitude: 54°10'N (54.167)
Longitude: 128°35'W (-128.583)

Maybe my dish is too small ???

Last edited:
:welcome to the forum !!!

You can check AMC 4 footprint here: http://www.ses-americom.com/americom/siteSections/satellitesAndTeleports/coverageareas/kuband/amc4/
I use two round Primestar dishes for F1R ku and AMC 1 ku here in NE Alabama. I would recommend a dish that is designed for one satellite with a lo of 10.750 lnb. IF you're using a SC dish with two satellite feed lnb, might cause you a problem finding the signal. you have the 22khz tone (questionable) and multi-switch to deal with which the commercial DVB receiver would not be able to operate like a residential FTA reciever. I use a Manhatten DSR 1500 for The Sportsman Channel and fixing to swap out my Power Vu on The Pentagon Channel to a Manhatten. The Manhatten does not have the blind search feature but it locks in real good. RPTI tech support may be able to help you with that receiver or a Power Vu, if you want to use a commercial receiver. Make sure you have your contracts in place for carriage and you never know, they may actually supply you a reciever already set up. I started carrying America One at the first of March, which supplied me with a SA D9850 already set and we get the feed for free, nothing out of pocket. Of course ever programmer is different.

Last edited:
Living so far south, I'm not very familiar with the StarChoice dishes, but arent some or all StarChoice LNBFs stacked? That might be one problem. The commercial receivers will only work with a simple LNB(F) that has no switches or stacked frequencies. Also, they will not switch polarity on a voltage-controlled LNBF (13v Vertical, 18v Horizontal).

Do you have access to a spare commercial dish, or have a commercial dish already aimed at 101w? If not, you could always find something like a 1 or 1.2 meter Channel Master with a single, fixed polarity Norsat LNB. The larger sized dish will also help with rain fade.

Last edited:
Tron, some are stacked and some unstacked. I know when you activate a SC receiver, they need to know that. I have the newest one they offered.

Do you have starchoice 60E or 75E model?

Starchoice should work but not recommend unless you have the 75E(75cm) model also skew is and issues with starchoice dish if not skewed properly it wont even pickup amc4 at all in some case's.
Seeing your company can afford comercial receiver i would at least get 1 meter or at least 76 cm dish with standard ku band you will be a lot happier with that then starchoice dish.
I used a starchoice 60E for little while and ran faide on that thing was a pain when it started rain it was a one way to no signal fast but with bigger dish you will be in better shape. With 60E use to get 45-60% singal quality peaked this no good when it started to raining.With 76cm dish i get around 75% signal quality but 1M wineguard signal it 90-99% singal quality.
You notice bigger dish is better like everyone mention's but it's to decide how important that Rtpi is to you.

RtpiFan :)

Some of the SC LNB's are stacked (the "lightbulb one") and the rest are unstacked (the 2 beer cans and the new quad)

I am using a 75e dish for SBS6 but I notuiced I get better signal quality if I use the LNB B (the one with the 22k built in) since its at the sweet spot

WOW!! you guys are Awesome!!
So many replys allready ...I just woke up ..sat down with first coffee and logged in here

I will give a more detailed reply when I get home from work today
but have couple quick comments

1) I am using a non-Stacked LNB (the little flashlight looking one,Dual feeds on it)

2) Dish Size is a 75e I think (30inch)

3)As for the footprint http://www.ses-americom.com/americom/siteSections/satellitesAndTeleports/coverageareas/kuband/amc4/ I am located right in the middle of the grey and yellow line ,right on the west coast ,on the mainland accross from Queen charlette Islands (Kitimat BC)

4) as far as I know this is the reciever that was sent too us from our carrier . But that is the Bosses problem lol I am the little guy on totem pole.

I sure would like to get this channel on air soon ..this is a small town and has a very large portuguese population ..and they all know RTPi is coming ..so I get bugged almost everyday lol

Anyways I will let ya All know how it goes today .I am schedulaed all day today to get this going

I will give a more detailed reply when I get home from work today
but have couple quick comments

1) I am using a non-Stacked LNB (the little flashlight looking one,Dual feeds on it)

2) Dish Size is a 75e I think (30inch)
I wonder how big that LNB is? Stacked LNB is the bigger flashlight one (the holder is 50mm). The Non stacked would be a 40mm holder. If you could take a picture of it, that would be awesome!

3)As for the footprint http://www.ses-americom.com/americom...s/kuband/amc4/ I am located right in the middle of the grey and yellow line ,right on the west coast ,on the mainland accross from Queen charlette Islands (Kitimat BC)
You should be fine in Kitimat.

I sure would like to get this channel on air soon ..this is a small town and has a very large portuguese population ..and they all know RTPi is coming ..so I get bugged almost everyday lol
I’ve seen the news from Kitimat on Star Choice (well its for Terrace & Kitimat). Didnt know it was such a large Portugese population.
One thing you might want to try when setting it up (or at least aiming the dish) is there is a really strong transponder on there (3 Angels)
11822 freq
H polarity
5700 symbol rate
2/3 FEC

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thought I would check in before heading out door :)
I wonder how big that LNB is? Stacked LNB is the bigger flashlight one (the holder is 50mm). The Non stacked would be a 40mm holder. If you could take a picture of it, that would be awesome!

It Is the 40mm LNB I am using (Dual Feeds) I think the bigger LNB (50mm) just has a single feed and you use a Power passive splitter to go to multiple recievers

’ve seen the news from Kitimat on Star Choice (well its for Terrace & Kitimat). Didnt know it was such a large Portugese population.
One thing you might want to try when setting it up (or at least aiming the dish) is there is a really strong transponder on there (3 Angels)
11822 freq
H polarity
5700 symbol rate
2/3 FEC

As for the portuguese population i have been told its the 2nd largest outside of Toronto

I will try this :) thank you very much

Well it took me awhile Today ...But I have SUCCESS!!

but I hope no clouds pass over me till new bigger dish comes in :) I used 30 inch today

I managed to get signal for RTPi :) though not the greatest I think ..( hard to tell becasue the reciever has no signal meter to speak of .) just a green light actually

I got ahold of spectrum anylizer and that put me onto it not not to long of time

I used these settings to find signal
11822 freq
H polarity
5700 symbol rate
2/3 FEC

Thanks a million Iceberg ..then once I got signal I use the rtp settings and all was good :)

should be a few happy people around here when they surf there channels tonight ..to bad I cant speak Portuguese though as RTP showed some BOOBIES lol

anyways thanks for all the help and support
I hope i can repay the favor someday :)

hhhmmm said:
..to bad I cant speak Portuguese though as RTP showed some BOOBIES lol
Hmmm.... OKAY. Might have to watch this occasionally :D

Glad its up and running! On the commercial receiver, quality might be referred to as "BER", or Bit Error Rate. The lower the better in this case.

I assume you did fine tune the dish a little bit? I know 3 Angels is pretty strong, so you may get that really good but RTPi may be weaker (without a meter on the receiver its tough).

Glad its working for ya :)

Glad its up and running! On the commercial receiver, quality might be referred to as "BER", or Bit Error Rate. The lower the better in this case.

I definatly will check out the BER thing I did see that on one of the sub menus ..So low # is good huh
I assume you did fine tune the dish a little bit?

Well I did as much as I could with the anylizer ..But one thing I didnt do was too stick my toungue out and tilt head to left while fine tuning ..to many people were watching (Kidding)

hhhmmm...
just an offtopic post. I found the site for your cable company and this is just a general thing. I really wish US cable companies had the "basic" package like Canadian cable companies do.

Here we get our networks, couple public access channels, church channels, etc for 15-20 a month. (Our cable we get WGN & TBS in basic). Canada you guys get so much more in basic

I noticed you have both E & W nets in basic + TSN, MMM & Much Music all in the basic price for about $7 more than what my cable would be for basic...damn...wish I could get something like that :)

Sorry guys ..for not responding I went on holidays for week or so ...went and seen MOM :)

mmm.... OKAY. Might have to watch this occasionally

this is what reciever said on it other day for BER (post V) 1.2 -1.6
Bit Rate 4.151
Doesnt mean squat too me lol but ..it still seems to be working and we even had 4 inch of snow other day ...that wet sh!tty stuff too
hhhmmm...
just an offtopic post. I found the site for your cable company and this is just a general thing. I really wish US cable companies had the "basic" package like Canadian cable companies do.

Here we get our networks, couple public access channels, church channels, etc for 15-20 a month. (Our cable we get WGN & TBS in basic). Canada you guys get so much more in basic

I noticed you have both E & W nets in basic + TSN, MMM & Much Music all in the basic price for about $7 more than what my cable would be for basic...damn...wish I could get something like that

Well ya could always move up here ...always could use GOOD sat guys up here
the ones around here dont have very good reps :)

Our system is maxed out here anyways for channels ... most of my system here is 500mgh and the channels past 61 can get pretty fuzzy at times ...hopefully that will change soon .Company is running fiber now ...so hopefully we will be digital soon

here is our company website www.citywest.ca

thanks too all for helping and making me feel welcome here to this wonderland :)

hhhmmm said:
Sorry guys ..for not responding I went on holidays for week or so ...went and seen MOM :)

this is what reciever said on it other day for BER (post V) 1.2 -1.6
Bit Rate 4.151
Doesnt mean squat too me lol but ..it still seems to be working and we even had 4 inch of snow other day ...that wet sh!tty stuff too

Well ya could always move up here ...always could use GOOD sat guys up here
the ones around here dont have very good reps :)

Our system is maxed out here anyways for channels ... most of my system here is 500mgh and the channels past 61 can get pretty fuzzy at times ...hopefully that will change soon .Company is running fiber now ...so hopefully we will be digital soon

here is our company website www.citywest.ca

thanks too all for helping and making me feel welcome here to this wonderland :)

Your BER is not very good and is in direct relationship with the FEC rate at 4.1 Bit rate..What is the Eb/No? Your margin should be in the 6-8 Range at least..You also have the ability to set threshold alarms to indicate Weather degradation or other incidences pointing to signal reduction....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)