AMC 9 - 83.0W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bluemaxxx

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Ok ... using my BirDog Ultra I nailed 83.0W.
My location is southern Saskatchewan Canada.

I have a 1.2 meter dish with a KU LNB.
My FTA receiver is a Nano Premium.

BirDog readings are:
- KV AMC 9 (S: 197 out of 200 --- Q: 77%).
- From behind the LNB (not the dish) - I skewed to the east abit to bring the above S and Q).
- KH AMC 9 - was not able to receive any S and Q ??

Went into menu setup and the settings - configured to AMC 9 (4444 / 11735).
No colour bars to indicate S and Q. ?

I know I'm at 83.0W as you can see from the above KV BirDog readings.

Retro Network on TrackSat = 11735 H --- but I get no S and Q on the BirDog when I go to KH AMC 9 only on KV AMC 9 (S: 197 out of 200 --- Q: 77%).

It appears I require a KH reading on the BirDog - but unable to get??

Any help is much apprieciated.

Make sure you have the correct LNB settings in the Nano, then Blind Scan - see what comes in.

Lak7:

Thanks for your response.
I believe the Nano Premium receiver adjusts to the correct settings when a particular satellite is selected.
There is a search option - But I don't recall seeing a blind scan option for this unit?

I'll have to check when I get home.

well the birdog like any other meter could have a wrong parameter programmed in the KH listing therefore no signal detected. I think I recall that exactly happened to me recently on that same bird since it is so close to my true south I use it as reference.

you can enter a custom tp info with the birdog to confirm. use the NBC feed (11975 H 4939) or Tuff TV (11735H). Double check my SR on lyngsat or the list here.

I am sure the blind scan will also tell you which bird after seeing which channels come in.

you can change the type of scan from All Channels to Blind Scan (on the antenna settings screen). BTW that is a very nice PVR receiver , on the Cuban mux over at Hispasat 30W is able to record 1 channel while watching another one on the same mux. Some PVR receivers do not do this "normal" task well.

For the 11735 transponder, use a symbol rate of 4440, not 4444. That should get you RTV and TuffTV. For the NBC Colour bars, 11775 H 4232. I just tried this just now and did not get anything when I tried 11975 H 4939.

RTV/TuffTV
11735 H

NBC Colour Bars
11775 H

Sorry my bad on the SR. I was going by memory that is why I said double check my SR. Thanks for clarifying Larry.

Initially when I first setup my dish to get RTV from AMC 9, I had a hard time myself because I typed in 4444 and not 4440. As Lak7 points out, "From my experience - FTA is not Plug N Play - you must set everything yourself"...Very True indeed.

I will take the advise given and apply it when I get home.
I will post my results.

Thanks all for your input.

So far I am only able to scan in "News12/Enco" and it repeatly gets stuck on scanning at "Tp 12139Mhz 30000 sps H".

I've entered 4440 - I think I need the service numer to enter also.

Is anyone else running a Nano Premium at this bird?

What model Ku lnb? Just want to confirm it's not a single polarity model.

Thats a good point ...
The LNB is old with basically no lettering on it.
I'm just waiting to hear from the guy I got the dish and LNB to get some confirmation on the type of LNB it is --- obviously it is KU but ... more info needed at my end.

FYI:
I tried Coolsat 4000, VS 9000 and CNX Nano = same results.

I will post information and results soon - I haven't given up - I'm all around it.

While I"m waiting to hear from my friend - what KU LNB would be the best choice to purchase to receive AMC 9 83.0W properly?

Thanks again.

what KU LNB would be the best choice to purchase to receive AMC 9 83.0W properly?

If $$ is not a problem the I always recommend the Invacom QPH-031. Many have had good success with the Spitfire LNB that the sponsors sell. The SL1 and SL2 from Sat AV should work well for you also.

If $$ is not a problem the I always recommend the Invacom QPH-031. Many have had good success with the Spitfire LNB that the sponsors sell. The SL1 and SL2 from Sat AV should work well for you also.

Ok ... I have this LNB... I recall last year I wasn't able to even get any S/Q on my BirDog --- thats why I replaced it. I wasn't aware that the Invacom QPH-031 LNB would bring this bird in (AMC 9)?? I didn't think it was KU in anyway?

I will try again with my Invacom QPH-031 LNB.

That said ... I will also purchase a SpitFire KU LNB also ---
It appears to be a very good LNB to use to bring in 83.0W AMC 9.

Here is a bit of information I found surfing around regarding the SpitFire KU LNB:

OK. I just started testing this LNB last night so there will be much more info and test results that I will report here on this LNB but I wanted to let you know my initial findings. I was bored and it was 1AM last night and tracieok said i should watch some old cheesie horror movie on 83.0W RTN so i decided what the heck and went out in the dark with my First Strike FS1 Meter and aimed a dish at 83.0W.

I was using my 36" Fortec with an old but very good Techsat Tracker 0.3dB LNB. I worked on this set-up with my FS1 Meter and quickly found the sat but no matter how much i worked i could get around 78% signal and 24% quality. I just couldnt get it any better and using the FS1 believe me i know how to max a dish and LNB.

So I decided to grab the Siptfire Elite. I put it in place of the other LNB, remember i already had the dish peaked, and signal went down to 72, but quality jumped up to 55% which was a huge jump over the old LNB. 55% is pretty good on 83.0W, a notoriously weak satellite.

So thats is my first initail test with this LNB. More to come in the next couple of days, but I am damn impressed so far.

A bit of an update ...
Tweaked Q to 84% from 77%.
S = 197 out 200.

No word from sat friend regarding KU LNB on my 1.2 m dish.
I've order a SpitFire LNB - this may help - as I am not sure of the current LNB I'm using - but certainly appears to be a KU ... but ...
Have tried various blind scans and changed Tp's / SR's ec
tc.

I provided 5 pictures of my current Nano Premium set up.
Still testing ...

Please review the uploaded pictures - maybe you can see something I can't that is keeping me from recieving RTV / TuFF.

1 - My LNB.
2-5 is the step by step set up.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    368.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 173
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Last picture appears to be a single polarity lnb and a feedhorn. twist the whole shebang 90° in the holder to get the other polarity. When/if replaced with a LNBF you'll get both H and V. Nice to use if only one polarity is wanted/needed. My spitfire died about 3 weeks ago, after being used for about a year, but it did work good. Back to some generic Ku LNBF's so some weak, barely locking, TP's are now unusable for me. Oh well, almost all were of the itinerant variety anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts