American Sports Network launches 24/7 broadcast network on January 11th

Will this effect HD availability in markets who have had ASN for a while? I am thinking of my old home in NC with Sinclair locals. I can't imagine this being successful if it's a SD subchannel. I hope I will continue to find many ASN games in HD on the RSN channels on the Directv Sports Pack.

Will this effect HD availability in markets who have had ASN for a while?
probably not as most affiliates are subchannels which are SD only

I hope I will continue to find many ASN games in HD on the RSN channels on the Directv Sports Pack.
they will still be. This seems like filler for Zuus Country. They will still have the part time affiliates across the country that will show the games in HD (or SD if only available)

Cool. Sounds kinda like an ACC Network with many more affiliates and more content. Another "What if" for the ASN:

Do you know if ASN does blackouts? For example, in my DMA our ACC Network is football-only and on MeTV. When they're airing games, the ACC Network feed in ESPN College Extra (Directv ch 788 to 799, HD only) is blacked out. Beyond unacceptable. HD ACC Network is one of the main reasons I "moved" to Boston before the creation of the ECE group, and looks like I need to "stay" there to keep HD. If any of my locals ever added ASN on a subchannel, would they black-out the ASN HD feeds on the RSNs? Heck, if a Boston local adds an affiliate on a subchannel, would I be able to watch it on the RSN now? There is nothing more frustrating* than a game being blacked out in HD and only available in SD, other than not being available at all.

*Sports-viewing related.

I guess the only "blackouts" would be if there was no affiliate in the area carrying it ;)

They wont black out the games on the RSN's. I've seen tons of ASN games on the RSN's (via both DIsh and Direct) and none have been blacked out. We have had ASN games on the local subchannel here (GetTV then Grit)
The ACC Network has some real funky rules for blackouts. I know we get ACC football and basketball (late game on Saturdays) here in Minneapolis on the local CW.

Well it was supposed to launch at 5 AM today and it's 10:30 here and no ASN so far. Something must have happened at our local WKRC. Anyone else seeing ASN in any of the new cities it's supposed to be on today?

Well it was supposed to launch at 5 AM today and it's 10:30 here and no ASN so far. Something must have happened at our local WKRC. Anyone else seeing ASN in any of the new cities it's supposed to be on today?
someone mentioned it was on in Nashville (but that replaced a station...not being added like it is in Cincy)

Reactions: Blindowl1234
So in markets where you have a Sinclair station AND Comet AND the ASN network you have like 5 times minimum to see ROH wrestling ;)

According to the pdf files they (ASN) have around, NESN+ is my ASN affiliate. They carry very few of the games that the pdf claims they do. Said files (like the one on 506sports.com for the Bowl game on ASN) also refers to MASN as the nationwide source for it. Is there any chance MASN 2 could ever carry as much as possible of the ASN Network programming? And since it was unique programming (non repeat) could it be on Directv like alternate programming on FS Wisconsin or FS Oklahoma. I know that this is the OTA section, but I like the content. Lower level basketball, 1AA/whatever/FCS football, and hockey. Some of us have like a 0.0001% chance of ever seeing ASN Network OTA and stumbling on gems like this are great treat that I want more of. I won't even get into that you STILL can't add NCAA hockey as "my team"...

Attachments

• 1452908657762.jpg
    1452908657762.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 144
ASN has the rights to the Hockey East games but NESN is simulcasting them.
some of the RSN's (CSN Chicago and MASN) do carry a ton of the games

What frustrates me is we have a Sinclair affiliate (WUCW CW23), Get and Grit and the schedule says they carry a game or two every now and then but they havent had any basketball games this year. The hockey games they say ARE scheduled but got home and turned it on to Grit....nope no hockey :(

I have noted that ASN carry's WAC conferences' for the NMSU Aggies. I noted KASY-DT used to carry ASN from time to time. I mostly get NMSU off the ROOT sports from Denver on Direct TV.:)

yeah ASN has agreements with alot of the "mid major" conferences for basketball. The WAC fits the "late night for most of the US" games (the 9PM Central start times) for programming

I really wish this stuff would stop happening! We were talking about things being listed but not actually on with ASN. Along those lines, today's ACC Network game is a mess. Normally, ACC Network is on WSBK, MyTV 38. Raycom's site says that WSBK is airing it. But, they are not. They are airing the CBS Villanova Georgetown game because the stupid Patriot's pregame show (local) needs to start way before the game for some reason. Blacked-out on ECE.

I did find it, however, hiding on WPTZ-3 MeTV. WPTZ-3 is not on the list. The OTA signal shows "College Basketball" but the Comcast/X1, titanTV, and other sites have regular MeTV programming. Why why why can't local channels get this stuff right so Ice can watch the hockey and I can watch the basketball?

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-acc-network-syracuse-at-wake-forest-01-16-2016

Reactions: osu1991
I really wish this stuff would stop happening! We were talking about things being listed but not actually on with ASN. Along those lines, today's ACC Network game is a mess. Normally, ACC Network is on WSBK, MyTV 38. Raycom's site says that WSBK is airing it. But, they are not. They are airing the CBS Villanova Georgetown game because the stupid Patriot's pregame show (local) needs to start way before the game for some reason. Blacked-out on ECE.
I agree!
I dont mind the ACC basketball on Saturdays (when you are OTA only ya take what you can get) but whats frustrating is we dont get the early (11AM) game. We do get the 1:30 game. Other midwest Sinclair markets get both games.

I did find it, however, hiding on WPTZ-3 MeTV. WPTZ-3 is not on the list. The OTA signal shows "College Basketball" but the Comcast/X1, titanTV, and other sites have regular MeTV programming. Why why why can't local channels get this stuff right so Ice can watch the hockey and I can watch the basketball?
Thats how it is here. When ASN had football the guide would be right. But once basketball started the ASN site says we get it and we dont. I wish the hockey games were shown. Looking in the guide for future I'm sure the guide is wrong. It shwos on the 23rd North Dakota vs Colorado College on our local CW (WUCW 23). The thing is it isnt a ASN game. The Minnesota/Wisconsin game IS on ASN that night so I'm sure they mean that (which will piss off lots of UND fans in the Twin Cities). The next week NoDak IS on ASN but I'm sure that game we wont get.

The ASN affiliate list is goofy. There are affiliates who carry EVERYTHING (and pre-empt GetTV/Grit/ThisTV) regardless of location. then there are affiliates that barely carry anything and they easily could. I know there isnt much on a Saturday night on the local CW...they could show hockey (but they dont)

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-acc-network-syracuse-at-wake-forest-01-16-2016
Ironically the late game IS listed on WPTZ-DT3
http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-basketball-on-acc-network-miami-at-clemson-01-16-2016

I bet they don't air it. I have never seen them air the late game. This is only the third ACC Network basketball shown on WPTZ-3 that I have noticed, but if they air it without proper guide data, I could have missed some. I have never been blacked-out before (living in VT but "living" in Boston) but WSBK has always been good about showing the game on the guide. WSBK doesn't have and subchannels to hide it on and WBZ uses WSBK as a secondary CBS station. The titanTV guide doesn't show the Syracuse - Wake Forest game on Decades WBZ-2 Decades but who knows if it is there.

The same was true with Sinclair when I lived in NC and the ASN games just started. They owned the ABC and My in my market (Greensboro) and the My and CW in the neighboring market (Raleigh) so the games were always on, almost always in HD, and the guide was updated. But there were other, smaller networks that would show like Div 2 football and you were lucky to get the game at all (usually only NC or S VA schools) very much like your ASN situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)