America's everything package went up to 126.99 are they for real ? after they cut several channels

Ohh add in Dishs $11 for the sports pckage, since they say DTV gives its sports pckage in its top package.

Now, just for our own little point, how many AEP customers would prefer the lower cost, and forego the sports channels. I would be included in that list. If it's not on what I normally get(locals, ESPN, local Az RSNs) I can live without it, as I would have so many more channels to choose to watch. Lol. Either way, I think all in all, dish has the best value around.

Want to put a price check around for me? AEP, 2 hopper, 2 joey. What would my price comparison be between the two companies? I don't even know what the regular dish price is, so that would have to be put back in. Just curious is all.

I think it's a wash on both as far as programming, it's the equipment fees alone that are killers
but Directv is known for being expensive of the two providers which it seems Dish is catching up, while Comcast takes the cake IMO. but it all depends on number of equipment obviously
Although Directv did remove HD fee for new customers only but made up for it in charging lease fee for the first receiver.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Want to put a price check around for me? AEP, 2 hopper, 2 joey. What would my price comparison be between the two companies? I don't even know what the regular dish price is, so that would have to be put back in. Just curious is all.
$164.99 without MS $175.99 with MS

Directv would be $172.99 for customers since Feb 9 2012 or later for 4 of any combination of HD/Genie or HD DVR receivers
or 168.99 for customers July 24 or later for 4 of any combination of HD/Genie or regular HD DVR receivers
after the 12 month promo expires obviously.

I think it's a wash on both as far as programming, it's the equipment fees alone that are killers

Exactly my point. The equipment fees ,that are purely made up and charge it because we can , are what makes even DISH too high monthly. When your equipment fees are over 1/2 the price you pay in programming , you know there's a problem.

So too high for DISH, fine for Direct TV, Charter (With higher fees) etc etc.... :rollingeyes
If your theory is DISH could drop fees or lessen fees and not have to raise prices somewhere else, and still remain in business, invest in new technology, etc.. than I certainly don't agree. You would have more of a case if they made more per subscriber and business for Cable/Satellite was rosey. They aren't.

BTW the fees I pay are minimal, because DISH gives that choice.

Reactions: ChadT41 and Yespage
Let's compare Directv and Dish prices with equipment fees

Dish America's Everything Pack: $126.99
Hopper: $12 monthly fee
Super Joey: $10 monthly fee or Joey(regular) $7 monthly fee
Total: $145.99-$148.99

Directv Premier Package $129.99
Genie HR34/44: ARF(Advanced Receiver Fee) $25 monthly (HD,DVR,MRV combined)
Genie Mini or HR24 $6 monthly Additional TV(aka mirroring fee)
Total: $160.99

That's a $12-$15 difference

Except to make the comparison more complete, you must add in Dish's Multi-Sport @$13/month. IOW, almost zero difference between the two in that comparison with just that equipment.

If you have a larger installation, D* will come out cheaper. Even in a single Hopper/HR44 setup, the deal is a wash as far as cost is concerned.

I wish Dish would go up on equipment fees and reduce programming fees. Maybe charge $50 for a Hopper and $35 for a Joey, then lower the Top 250 to $30 per month. :biggrin

How bout you explain how equipment charges will affect the channels? Unless you think that some of these fees are there to subsidize the channels themselves,which I don't believe they do.
I think the contracts with channel owners not only include subscription costs per subscriber but additional costs per TV outlet as well. All providers charge outlet fees, but it's the chicken or the egg syndrome whether the MVPDs started it and the channels owners wanted their piece of the pie, or the other way around where the channel owners demanded more money from subscribers who had more than one independent viewing TV. Knowing the track record of the content owners, I lean toward them, but the point is moot. There would be no getting out of charging for outlet fees in the current landscape.

Exactly my point. The equipment fees ,that are purely made up and charge it because we can , are what makes even DISH too high monthly. When your equipment fees are over 1/2 the price you pay in programming , you know there's a problem.
Yeah, you have too much equipment.

When did Multisport go up to $13? Last I heard it was $11...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My bad, I thought it had gone up. It is $11. Doesn't change the math much in the comparison though.

The bottom line is that for large installations, D* is a cheaper choice.

For smaller ones, it is a wash unless you are using one of the lower tiers that Dish has.

Which means that for practical purposes for most, the only real savings in satellite TV is switching providers every couple of years or so. Otherwise the savings or lack of, are minimal at best.

I admit I am too lazy to navigate through the Direct TV site to do a comparison.
When I did do that quite sometime ago to make a point my DISH set up was less expensive and not by a $1 or two dollars than Direct.

If someone knows, is the everyday cost for this set-up with DISH, two VIP stand alone two tuner HD receivers, Top250 and HBO now the same cost with Direct TV?
(though important factors, forget comparing package content and what receiver might be better, and forget some other programming Direct TV does not have that I do get etc...)
That total for DISH is $116 tax not included. Charter is $128.00 +

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
I admit I am too lazy to navigate through the Direct TV site to do a comparison.
When I did do that quite sometime ago to make a point my DISH set up was less expensive and not by a $1 or two dollars than Direct.

If someone knows, is the everyday cost for this set-up with DISH, two VIP stand alone two tuner HD receivers, Top250 and HBO now the same cost with Direct TV?
(though important factors, forget comparing package content and what receiver might be better, and forget some other programming Direct TV does not have that I do get etc...)
That total for DISH is $116 tax not included. Charter is $128.00 +

I just went to DirecTV's site. It looks like that it would be $128 per month. Those 2 VIP receivers are dvr's correct? If not, then it prices out at $113.

What are you paying for tv/internet/home phone? Did you see if Charter comes out cheaper than what you're currently paying now? Triple play bundle savings and the fact that I can use my Tivo's were the main factors for us switching to Comcast.

Yes two dvr's. I have voicepulse for phone $15 a month unlimited in State 250 min long distance

Bundling can be easier to pay but not.always less expensive.

I could save money by bundling services at Mediacom. I use their internet service now.

total for internet, Tivo XG1(?) and programming would be about the same as I pay Dish for T250, BB, Homeland, HBO/SHO/MAX with a HWS+SuperJoey at retail. I'm still at 1st year so I get some discounts for that and a few other 1/2 off deals.

The downside is the Tivo they offer is 4 tuners and is hamstrung by not allowing for an external HD and not having all that big of a one inside it. Not to mention many missing HD channels, some of which I care about.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

Except to make the comparison more complete, you must add in Dish's Multi-Sport @$13/month. IOW, almost zero difference between the two in that comparison with just that equipment.

If you have a larger installation, D* will come out cheaper. Even in a single Hopper/HR44 setup, the deal is a wash as far as cost is concerned.
Read post #62 which is identical($1 less) with a Hopper/SJ