America's everything package went up to 126.99 are they for real ? after they cut several channels

I pay $17 total for two VIP HD receivers two tuners each serving two rooms. It is $10 more for a third receiver. (And you can pay even less (And get less) with a 211 receiver.)

The problem with looking at only Hopper/Joey fees is what I posted. That isn't all that is offered, and I bet is not in the majority of homes and maybe not even close to the majority. VIP's are still readily available for new or existing accounts. (Keep in mind a high percentage still have SD receivers let alone all the VP HD receivers out there) It isn't fair to look at one aspect of their offerings and decide they are charging too much or aren't less than other providers. Like many/most businesses those that want the latest technology pay more often to offset the cost of bringing the new technology to the market. I am thankful DISH keeps those who just want what they have from having to pay alot more to subsidize those who would like the Hopper. That DISH is around the same cost as Direct TV for whole home technology isn't that surprising. But no one has to pay that with DISH, and as demonstrated (Assuming the info is correct on the Direct TV cost) I am paying $144 a year less with DISH than I would with Charter or Direct TV, similarly equipped and likely most other carriers.

To bring this full circle, that is why I do not agree DISH is charging fees just because they can, but it is part of the makeup of their whole business plan. Change one aspect and it has to affect another. If I believed DISH was overall charging an excessive amount just because they can I would agree with you that they could lessen fees and not be hurt, but as I posted, their per subscriber profit after all costs, and the fact the carrier industry is not in a position right now to do so tells me DISH isn't and can't just charge what they want, but as always what the market will allow. And right now it won't allow pulling subscriptions costs out of the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
Let's see if I have it right. Dish has reached their Equilibrium of what they are willing to charge, and what customers are willing to pay?(sorry Economics is one of my topics this year)

Reactions: Tampa8
I pay $17 total for two VIP HD receivers two tuners each serving two rooms. It is $10 more for a third receiver. (And you can pay even less (And get less) with a 211 receiver.)

The problem with looking at only Hopper/Joey fees is what I posted. That isn't all that is offered, and I bet is not in the majority of homes and maybe not even close to the majority. VIP's are still readily available for new or existing accounts. (Keep in mind a high percentage still have SD receivers let alone all the VP HD receivers out there) It isn't fair to look at one aspect of their offerings and decide they are charging too much or aren't less than other providers. Like many/most businesses those that want the latest technology pay more often to offset the cost of bringing the new technology to the market. I am thankful DISH keeps those who just want what they have from having to pay alot more to subsidize those who would like the Hopper. That DISH is around the same cost as Direct TV for whole home technology isn't that surprising. But no one has to pay that with DISH, and as demonstrated (Assuming the info is correct on the Direct TV cost) I am paying $144 a year less with DISH than I would with Charter or Direct TV, similarly equipped and likely most other carriers.

To bring this full circle, that is why I do not agree DISH is charging fees just because they can, but it is part of the makeup of their whole business plan. Change one aspect and it has to affect another. If I believed DISH was overall charging an excessive amount just because they can I would agree with you that they could lessen fees and not be hurt, but as I posted, their per subscriber profit after all costs, and the fact the carrier industry is not in a position right now to do so tells me DISH isn't and can't just charge what they want, but as always what the market will allow. And right now it won't allow pulling subscriptions costs out of the air.
As always you are free to believe what you wish. I will still believe what I think. They are made up fees that they charge because they can. They have re-aligned them along the years going from $4.99 for an additional box all the way to $17.00 for an additional 722k receiver. They decided what class they would put each receiver and how much they will charge for it. Over the years they have added and done away with Tv2 $5.00 additional fees. THey have added individual DVR fees per dvr receiver and then also allowed you to not pay them on your additional dvr receivers if you subbed to AEP and then did away with that again. So these fees are All in DISH 's control and they can add them and do away with them at will ,including rolling them into one big additional receiver fee per class of receiver. This year alone they went up on the additional receiver fee for a hopper from $7.00 to $12.00 . So I will never believe that DISH is forced to charge these fees because of some kind of vague deal with the channels themselves. These are revenue generators for DISH as well as add to their average revenue per customer rates and add to their bottom line for profits. They can lower them if they wanted to and even charge nothing if you bought your equipment, if they wanted to. It is all up to them. But as I said you are free to believe anything you like.

Still, it's better to believe based on evidence and logic rather than "made up, think it because you can", beliefs. :)

The original $7 hopper fee seemed like an unannounced promotional rate (since it was the same as a Joey) to lure customers to switch to the Hopper, and even for someone who is very fee conscious, it appeared to work. :)

The other ViP fees mostly have a structured value based on tuners, outlets, DVR, etc. So, yes, it logically makes sense that the fee structure is at least somewhat tied to the contracts with the programmers, much in the same way that Netflix won't allow you to watch more than one stream at a time unless you pay them more.

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
They are made up fees that they charge because they can. These are revenue generators for DISH as well as add to their average revenue per customer rates and add to their bottom line for profits. They can lower them if they wanted to and even charge nothing if you bought your equipment, if they wanted to. It is all up to them. But as I said you are free to believe anything you like.
You are free to believe what you wish.

Still, it's better to believe based on evidence and logic rather than "made up, think it because you can", beliefs. :)

The original $7 hopper fee seemed like an unannounced promotional rate (since it was the same as a Joey) to lure customers to switch to the Hopper, and even for someone who is very fee conscious, it appeared to work. :)

The other ViP fees mostly have a structured value based on tuners, outlets, DVR, etc. So, yes, it logically makes sense that the fee structure is at least somewhat tied to the contracts with the programmers, much in the same way that Netflix won't allow you to watch more than one stream at a time unless you pay them more.
As I said you are more than free to think what ever you want , as will I.:oldsmile2

Correct, Showtime will not be offered to New Customers if what I was told was correct. Any current employees that can verify?

Doesn't CBS own Showtime ? Dish probably doesn't see a contract renewal on the horizon because of the CBS/Auto-Hop lawsuit, meaning that Showtime might be pulled if the contracts are coming up.

Doesn't CBS own Showtime ? Dish probably doesn't see a contract renewal on the horizon because of the CBS/Auto-Hop lawsuit, meaning that Showtime might be pulled if the contracts are coming up.

Yes they do.

I think Dish sees that it will be a somewhat contentious contract renewal, but I doubt that it will last all that long after all the hand waving and misinformation that will be part and parcel of it.

CBS needs Dish as much as Dish needs them in the end.

Of course, when the dust settles, we know whose 'end' the stick will be in!! :)

I think the only hold out dish will have, is showtime anytime of whatever it is called. But I'm sure CBS will hold out for three day autohop.

The precedent has been set. You can be certain that the other (3) networks will have 3+ day autohop as a requirement.

Yup. That's life. It's going to start shifting soon from just O&O to all locals in due time. That sucks, but it's still nice to have the feature in general.

Reactions: Skytrooper
You're saying the current ABC 3-day delay on AutoHop only applies to O&O ABC stations ? My local ABC is privately-owned so I could check. I think the only Big4 program I watch is Big Bang Theory (CBS).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That was my understanding of it, since the other stations already had contracts in place with dish not including it.

Phoenix here, never seen the delay... Is inevitable though. Hall nailed what I was saying, there is a precedent that has been set... Disney did what they do best, and change the whole market.

Yep. My locals are not O&O. I never see a delay.
Others have seem the delay from what I've read here, yes ? I'm surprised that Dish has to distinguish them. ABC owns the programming between 8 and 11pm and I figured the contract applied to that, the programming.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)