America's everything package went up to 126.99 are they for real ? after they cut several channels

Bundling can be easier to pay but not.always less expensive.

True. But in our case, we're saving nearly $50 per month over Dish plus internet/phone from another provider. Now our bundle will go up $25 after 12 months and then up to "normal" (whatever that is) pricing after months 13 - 24. But I'm not afraid to switch providers.

I could save money by bundling services at Mediacom. I use their internet service now.

total for internet, Tivo XG1(?) and programming would be about the same as I pay Dish for T250, BB, Homeland, HBO/SHO/MAX with a HWS+SuperJoey at retail. I'm still at 1st year so I get some discounts for that and a few other 1/2 off deals.

The downside is the Tivo they offer is 4 tuners and is hamstrung by not allowing for an external HD and not having all that big of a one inside it. Not to mention many missing HD channels, some of which I care about.

Sent from my 23-n010 using Tapatalk

That's because you would be using their Tivo and not your own. Owned Tivo's are much more flexible than what Tivo's cable partners offer.

I never use/compare with promotional pricing. One would save as much or more with DISH promo pricing.

So if correct Direct is on line with Charter in my area @$128. I save $144 a year with DISH.

I never use/compare with promotional pricing. One would save as much or more with DISH promo pricing.

So if correct Direct is on line with Charter in my area @$128. I save $144 a year with DISH.

Well you can compare promo's or not. But I'm saving $50 per month right now for 12 months, and that's what really matters. So I'm saving $600 per year with Comcast.

Well you can compare promo's or not. But I'm saving $50 per month right now for 12 months, and that's what really matters. So I'm saving $600 per year with Comcast.
And I'd save a bunch temporarily with Time Warner, but I'd also lose over 1000 hours of recordings! YMMV

That's because you would be using their Tivo and not your own. Owned Tivo's are much more flexible than what Tivo's cable partners offer.

I'm working off memory, but it seems that while you can use other than Mediacom's Tivo, there were some parts of their service you wouldn't have access to. I'm thinking it was the VOD, but it could have been other things.

But overall, even if I paid less at Mediacom, I'd get less.

In the short-term. You'd save hundreds a year if you paid the intro rate with Dish too.

who is talking intro rates?

twc does not still charge you a monthly fee to use your own equipment the way dish does, and their bundled price for a package better than at120 is a lot less. but it is cable... :(

in both short-term and long-term, satellite cannot compete with the price of a cable bundle.

twc does not still charge you a monthly fee to use your own equipment the way dish does, and their bundled price for a package better than at120 is a lot less.
You can buy TWC's equipment outright to save on their equipment/outlet fees?

Or are you using the strawman argument of cablecard, which is federally mandated and price controlled? Until cablecard or something similar is mandated for DBS, then that will always be a bad comparison.

You can buy TWC's equipment outright to save on their equipment/outlet fees?

Or are you using the strawman argument of cablecard......

are you ok?

you do not necessarily need a box. if you want one, buy a tivo. used tivos with lifetime are plentiful.

just more things the satellite providers cannot compete with.

I'd love to buy a used Tivo with lifetime. With satellite.

Only the cablecard mandate allows that to happen.

I still think that if you own your equipment you should be paying $0 monthly fees. If you lease then pay whatever the monthly fees are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there is justification in paying a monthly fee for activation(otherwise account stackers will go even more crazy), plus it's a service fee, for having the ability to watch independently. Apple does something in comparison, you own your phone, but if you deny their updates, they reserve the right to make your phone unusable for normal functions. Basically, if you don't update their phone, they will turn your owned phone into a paper weight.

I still think that if you own your equipment you should be paying $0 monthly fees. If you lease then pay whatever the monthly fees are

You are confusing leasing fees to what DISH is charging for. There are no leasing fees, owned or not owned.

Dish charges for the use of their software to make everything including the DVR portion to work. When you buy a receiver you are buying only the receiver, not the rights to use that software. That is part of the DVR fee charged per account not per receiver. Second DISH is charged a fee by program providers for each receiver and I'm sure some of the fee goes towards their profit. That fee is included in the package price for one receiver and why there isn't one on the first receiver. (Unlike many cable companies that do charge for the first receiver)
Third, I guess you want the guide data for free that DISH has to pay for.

As I keep needing to say, if they don't charge you those fees, do you really think they wouldn't have to raise your package price or something else? Do you think a TIVO is free to use fully after you buy it? (It isn't) Same thing you are buying the receiver not the software and guide updates to run it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41
You make some good points and I agree with it. I did a little comparison with our DirecTV & Bell bill. With DirecTV there's a lot more fees being our equipment is HR44, 3 HR24's & H24. We're as with Bell we have 5 receivers all owned 3 at our Canadian home & 2 here in Minot and there is actually no fees at all not even a DVR fee, come to think of it there was also no fee to add an EHD to the standalone HD receivers either. We pay for nothing but the monthly programming & tax. Now I wouldn't expect Direct or Dish to ever lighten our load that much but just wishful thinking on my part.

So too high for DISH, fine for Direct TV, Charter (With higher fees) etc etc.... :rollingeyes
If your theory is DISH could drop fees or lessen fees and not have to raise prices somewhere else, and still remain in business, invest in new technology, etc.. than I certainly don't agree. You would have more of a case if they made more per subscriber and business for Cable/Satellite was rosey. They aren't.

BTW the fees I pay are minimal, because DISH gives that choice.
I was speaking about the hopper /joey fees ,which are the latest product that DISH is installing in just about every house now. The older Vip receivers and older are on the way out , but yes they are Less than the Hopper fees. Unless you are talking about putting two 722k receivers on your account then you are looking at $17.00 for the second one + $7.00 dvr fee= $24.00 monthly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)