AMIKO Amiko A3 Owners Thread

Shared the planet alongside you for a long time as well and have had more than my share of remotes....This is the most advanced remote that I have ever owned and it took a while to get the unique control techniques down. :D

If there is a problem, contact technical support and we will trouble shoot with you and RMA for further testing if necessary.

To shake things up a little bit and sing some praises for the A3, I began recording classic Doctor Who last night from RTVE on 97.

TL;DR --> The A3 does a fantastic job of recording Luken stuff.

When watching it it's all squished to fit my screen and I HATE that. I have gone through every possible setting and nothing will override whatever it is they are doing.
Other channels, I ~can~ change it from pan-scan, letterbox, etc.. Just not Luken stuff. (same problem exists with their content coming down from SES2.
Ok, so be it.

BUT, the good news is that the recording I made last night, plays back in the normal 4:3 format and it looks GREAT when I play it back with VLC on my Mac.
I have EVERY episode ever (that still exists) on DVD and Blu-ray so I don't really need to keep these I just want to keep a few weeks worth at a time on the A3 disk so if I miss one I can watch it without doing the tedious DVD routine.
Anyway, Luken stuff records on the A3 fantastically. No complaints. The squish-O-vision it annoying but it's not a deal breaker. I have no way of knowing why this is happening or if it's Luken or the A3 at fault but believe me, I have been through EVERY setting on the A3. I have full control over the aspect ratio on other channels, just not Luken. ANYWAY..........

View attachment 102683

Screen Shot 2014-11-07 at 6.48.11 PM.jpg

What is really weird is when I look at the info for the raw recording before I process it, it has stuff from like 20 something other channels embedded into it.
What is up with that? This is the first time I've ever seen such a thing. I'm guessing it's not much of anything. When I looked at that transponder on sathint, all those channels share that transponder along with RTVE.
Is there some reason for the tuner to put all this other stuff into a recording? I ran the file through Handbrake and converted it to an mkv file and it stripped all that out in the finished product so I'm guessing it's not important.

Doubt that we are talking about defective hardware. I think that it comes down to where you rest or how quickly withdraw your fingers. I can replicate the "defect" if I don't quickly move my fingers away from the touch control after activating or rest my fingers near it.

You might adjust the mouse speed setting. See if the "automatic" selection happens if you select then withdraw your digits.

If you believe that any item is defective, send it in and we will test and definitely replace if defective. :D

Brian, I really doubt that the remotes are defective. I believe it's a case of old people (like me) not getting on well with new technology.

It would be very cool though if the design gurus could, in future versions, provide the ability to disable the touch options. :)

To shake things up a little bit and sing some praises for the A3, I began recording classic Doctor Who last night from RTVE on 97.

What is really weird is when I look at the info for the raw recording before I process it, it has stuff from like 20 something other channels embedded into it.
What is up with that? This is the first time I've ever seen such a thing. I'm guessing it's not much of anything. When I looked at that transponder on sathint, all those channels share that transponder along with RTVE.
Is there some reason for the tuner to put all this other stuff into a recording? I ran the file through Handbrake and converted it to an mkv file and it stripped all that out in the finished product so I'm guessing it's not important.

All the other channels appear to be the ones on the same TP as RTVE.

You guys are stuck on " touch " when its not necessarily it there's something else going on. Check it out it doesn't matter if you use the "mouse" or the Joystiq the remote once you make your selection it makes its own selection, it has nothing to do with touch.

My Openbox S9 used to, with one version of the firmware, put an index of all the channels on the transponder into recordings even though it was only recording one channel. Some receivers let you record an entire transponder, so I wonder if this was planned and they never fully implemented it?

Just a thought regarding the A3 RF remote. The A3 uses the 2.4GHz band, so it is possible to have interference from other devices using this same band.

In the event of remote issues, you might try testing by powering off, relocating or changing channel assignments on nearby WiFi, telephones, baby monitors or other devices sharing the 2.4GHz band.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Just a thought regarding the A3 RF remote. The A3 uses the 2.4GHz band, so it is possible to have interference from other devices using this same band.

In the event of remote issues, you might try testing by powering off, relocating or changing channel assignments on nearby WiFi, telephones, baby monitors or other devices sharing the 2.4GHz band.

Now that makes sense, why didn't think about that?

Ok, I'm losing my mind again.

I went through and programmed the positions of the satellites into the A3 and the ASC1. But the ASC1 keeps shifting the positions.

I moved the dish all the way to the extreme west until it hit the limit switches built into the motor. The ASC1 gives me an error message asking if there is a limit switch problem and tells me to press enter (on the remote) to clear the error.
I press enter then move the dish to the east 5 clicks. Then I reset the dish position to 0000. I move the dish 5 clicks east again and then set that as the west soft limit.
Then I move the dish to the extreme east until it hits the physical limit switch error. I back the dish off 10 clicks to the west and set that as the east soft limit. Everything should be cool now, right?

Nope.

For instance, if I program memory position 20 for 101w. I put my meter on the wire and find the absolute best spot for the best signal possible. That happens to be 0165 motor clicks from the west limit.
In the A3 I press SAVE and the little disk icon flashes, I see a message on the ASC1 that the position was memorized and all should be good now.

Basically I went through and did this for every satellite I could get a signal on.
But then when I come back around to the beginning and try to double check everything, ALL the positions are off by like 5 motor clicks sometimes, other times it's 8 clicks off, or even 12 clicks off.
It's like the entire thing -----> shifts all the positions and then EVERYTHING is thrown off and nothing will come in.
Then I have to go back and start all over again.

It's even shifting the limits and soft limits I set ! Rather than hitting the soft limit at 0010, it might hit it at 0023. Or 0054. Or whatever floats it's boat at that moment.

For now I've given up and just got it where it can reliably get me back and forth between 99 and 101.

Is it just me? (I'm willing to be money it is).. I really wish I could know why this hobby causes me such much grief. It's like the universe hates my guts and is trying hard to make me suffer.

Actually, I was sitting here typing this and I heard the ASC1 clicking. I turned around and saw that it was showing that it was at memory position 20:101w SES 1 but that it had moved the motor from 0165 to 0180.
I had touched NOTHING. The A3 was tuned to RTVE on 97w KU, sitting there waiting for 7pm to roll around so it can record Doctor Who for me.
So there was absolutely no reason for the A3 to operate the motor, any motor. It did not change channels, it had been on RTVE 97 KU earlier and still was tuned to that when I checked it after hearing the ASC1 relay clicking.

I did not touch any remote or anything else that may have controlled or sent a signal or operated either the A3 or the ASC1.
It's like it's got a mind of it's own and it's making me lose mine.

Positioning: Did you replace the cat 5/6 wire running between the controller and the actuator? If not, don't waste your time until you install it right.

Phantom control: You are right. Neither the ASC1 or the A3 will move to a different count number unless the position count had been saved. 180 was saved by either the A3 DiSEqC 1.2 menu or the ASC1 menu. It won't just happen on it's own. Guaranteed to be impossible....

Positioning: Did you replace the cat 5/6 wire running between the controller and the actuator? If not, don't waste your time until you install it right.

Phantom control: You are right. Neither the ASC1 or the A3 will move to a different count number unless the position count had been saved. 180 was saved by either the A3 DiSEqC 1.2 menu or the ASC1 menu. It won't just happen on it's own. Guaranteed to be impossible....

On the control wire. Originally I had been using that Siamese stuff that is RG6 quad shield that has attached to the side a Cat5e ethernet wire with 4 twisted pairs. The ethernet wire is unshielded.
After you originally informed me of my folly in using this wire, I found myself in a pickle with pretty much zero options.

I was advised to put a capacitor on the motor which I did. It did seem to help quite a bit.

Next, because I do not have any replacement wire I can use (and because I'm moving in a few weeks) my only other option was to separate the signal and power wires as best as I could.

There are two of those Siamese pairs in the same underground pipe. One was to go to one BUD and the other was to be for a second BUD (which went into the trash).

Since that second set of ethernet wires was unused, the only thing I could do was run power to the motor on one ethernet wire (I have three pairs twisted together so it's heavier to carry the power)
and the signal wire for the limit switch is running on the other ethernet wire which is physically separate from but laying parallel to and pretty much touching the other one.

Being that they are unshielded I am guessing that even using two separate wires is not good enough. I really can't do anything about that.
If I were going to be staying here I would dig everything up and replace EVERYTHING. I just bought a massive spool of RG11 that I intend to use for EVERYTHING once I move.
I don't know where I can find the proper power and signal wires for the motor though. :(
I know that they need to be shielded and separate. But every parasite on eBay is selling wire by the foot and charging shipping by the foot too.

The best thing I could find is "500FT Security Burglar Alarm 18/2 Cable Shielded Stranded Wire White"
$(KGrHqV,!l0FFznYis42BRgYRk81nw~~60_12.JPG 18-2-shielded-alarm-wire-pull-box_zps6e4f7313.jpg

I ASSUMED that it would be enough for the motor power and since it's shielded, I could just run a second one for the limit switch sensors, yes?
Can I use this shielded wire? It's got to be far better than the ethernet wire I've been trying to use. Right?

The 180. It just moved there. On it's own. I didn't program it into either of the two devices. The ASC1 was still reading that it was on position 20: 101w but it had turned the motor on and moved it from 0165 to 0180, all by itself.
I promise, I was not touching anything when it happened, it just moved the motor at random. The remotes were two feet away from me and the A3 did not change the channel. I had tuned it to RTVE on 97 KU about 5 minutes previous. After the motor just moved I checked and the A3 was still sitting on the channel I had left it on, RTVE.

It's like it's haunted. But I don't believe in that nonsense. Still, it would give one the sense that something odd is going on. Maybe he unshielded wires are picking up interference from a ham radio or something? I live in the middle of a lot of refineries and there are huge radio towers all around here that they use for whatever. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Seriously, take a break for a few weeks, install it right at the new house. If you have problems using the appropriate wiring, then worry!

The wire you linked to would be fine for sensor and servo control, but not powering a motor. If you notice in the ASC1 OWNERS MANUAL, it is recommended to use 14 or 12 guage for motor power. Using a smaller gauge wire is simply throwing away lifting power.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
Seriously, take a break for a few weeks, install it right at the new house. If you have problems using the appropriate wiring, then worry!

The wire you linked to would be fine for sensor and servo control, but not powering a motor. If you notice in the ASC1 OWNERS MANUAL, it is recommended to use 14 or 12 guage for motor power. Using a smaller gauge wire is simply throwing away lifting power.

OH..... I did not see the minimum wire standards in the manual. I just went back and sure enough, it does say that.
So that said, I now have the info I need to shop for the right thing. Rather than buy 500 foot of the wrong wire, which I was about to do, I can buy 150 foot of the 18 gauge wire and 150 foot of some 12 gauge shielded wire.
That should give me roughly twice as much of each type of wire than I will actually need. I think.
After having read up on the benefits of RG11, I bought huge spool of it, it's enough to last me the rest of my life and then some. Plus the connectors and tools.
Now I can wire up EVERYTHING I will ever need, pay satellite, FTA and OTA antennas.

Plus I need to install a dish for my dad at his new home next month and it's a pretty fair stretch as they say.

I made a spool holder for it because it's far too heavy for me to lift, I have to move it around on a hand cart but this will let me unspool it easily.
The hole in the middle, I had to burn that with a torch because I didn't have a drill big enough. Sooooooooo ghetto of me.. :rolleyes:

IMG_2640.jpg IMG_2758.jpg IMG_2777.jpg

The reason I bought such a huge spool is that I saw on ebay they were selling pre-made RG11 wires for like $60 plus shipping.
I got 1,000 foot for $120. I can take care of anything I'll ever need with this and then I can make and sell custom wires and get my money back. :D Genius!
Well, in my head it seemed like a good idea. At the time. This thing, I need a crane to lift it. Maybe I went overboard a little?

As things are now, it looks like my target date to move is approximately the 1st of the month. With just under three weeks left in this house I don't think I will put too much more effort into all these soul-sucking projects that always get the better of me. Starting over at the new house with all new wires and new poles and less clutter should work to my advantage. I think here I'm just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

You know, I think the problem is that I am either too stupid or too hard headed to give up. Probably some of both. There are some definite disadvantages to being a red head.

Last edited:
Ok, so I got my Logitech K400r keyboard today. I paired it on my windows laptop and it works perfectly on that.
I plugged it into the A3 and it doesn't seem to be very impressed with it.
I can type a number, such as 23 which is the entry in my favorites for RTVE and it changes channels.
I went to rename the NASA channels on 105 and it lets me do that, pretty much but it doesn't seem to function as a full blown keyboard.
It seems to totally ignore the touchpad. I can backspace and type in stuff to rename channels and that's very helpful.

But overall, it seems to be functioning on the most basic level and isn't extremely useful.
Am I missing something here? Are there some android drivers I need to install to get more functionality out of this keyboard and trackpad?

I wonder if android drivers are available? Please let me know how you make out because that would be the path I'd go down.