Status
Please reply by conversation.

PWenger

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Phoenixville, PA
Might I suggest some new forums...

1. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv Picture Quality.

2. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv Programming.

3. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv HD.

4. Dish Network Subscribers Discuss Their Superior Inteligence.

5. Dish Network Subscribers Point and Laugh at Directv.

6. Dish Network Subscribers List All Mistakes Ever Made by Directv.

7. Dish Network Subscribers List All Mistakes Ever Made by Dish Network (empty forum)

8. Directv Subscribers Forum...this forum would have a bot that automatically posts "I have Dish Network....nyah nyah." after every post.

Seriously, I have lurked on this forum, dbstalk, avsforum, and occaisionally dbsforums for at least 3 years now, and while all of them have the occaisional bashing, it is epidemic here. I admit I never go on the Dish Network forums, so I don't know if they have to suffer through the same worthless, self serving junk. But the reason I don't go on Dish forums are, I DON'T CARE!!!! I'll bet the largest FIOS system in Los Angeles is far superior to either company, and I DON'T CARE because I CAN'T GET IT. I have invested a lot of money in Directv, I am generally satisfied, I am not switching any time soon, so LET ME GET MY NEWS ABOUT MY SYSTEM OR I WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND TO HELL WITH YOUR SUPPORTING COMPANIES AND ADVERTISERS. Directv is not perfect...I have complaints and problems that arise with them, too. I would much rather discuss them, however, with people who might have fixes or can at least sympathize. That would be other directv subscribers.

If Satelliteguys.us wants to be a strictly Dish Forum, I'll say, "It's been interesting, best of luck, see ya around", shake hands and leave quietly. But it particularly galls me that I have to suffer through Directv threads with nothing but posts from Dish subscribers, including Staff members who don't seem to care about the forum experience of members with Directv.

The thread on History HD is a perfect example. Yes, History HD launched on Dish first...yes, History was going to be an exclusive launch for Directv...yes, it didn't work out that way. I can't blame A&E networks...they got the opportunity to go early, and they took it. Would Dish have put it on if they weren't feeling pressure from Directv's marketing? Debatable...we'll never know. Was Dish smart to make a pre-emptive move like that? Yes. Do I come to the Directv forums for news of why Dish is better? Absolutley not. Yet a staff member feels the need to make a smirking post about Dish's superiority.

To the staff and Moderators...please control your forums or narrow your focus to Dish. This is not a pleasant, friendly, or informative place for Directv subscribers to come.

I actually agree with a lot of your points. And we have been having discussion about this in our staff area.

If you will notice its the same select group of people who are causing the issue. We are actually considering putting these folks on a global ignore list (and if you want to see what they don't have to add) you can unblock them.

I especially find it distrubing to see people complaining about services which they do not subscribe to and probably have never seen.

I will be the first to say there is no such thing as a perfect satellite company, but I like the fact that both are working hard to improve.

Just FYI, this post was origionally hidden because it contained a few words which activated our Spam Eater software. (It goes on certain words and number of posts you have to decide if its spam or not)

When this happens your message goes into a queue where one of our staff needs to approve it for public view (which we have done)

I noticed you posted this thread again and once again it got eaten by the Spam Eater.

You did nothing wrong nor were you censored, just a way we work to keep spam down. Thanks for posting your thoughts we do appreciate them. :)

While open to people lying either way, I've always kinda wanted little badges we could toggle on and of next to our handle, indicating our positions.... D* Sub, 360 owner, PS3 owner, BD Homer, HDDVD Supporter, etc.

There is no way to do that with the software, you can list those things in your profile, in addition you can also list those things in your signature. (Just keep your signature short) :D

i think its a case of haves/havenots
*ish have felt unthreatened by dtv ever since voom exclusive, every *ish subscriber knows there junk yet are afraid to admit aloud

now with all the happenings dtv is making lately everyone seems to want dtv not just the yes yankee people.
be scared chuck real scared

I don't think anyone should be scared of the other company they don't have as both will have basically the same channels made available to them.

This is a great time to be a satellite customer, no matter which company you have. :)

I actually deleted one of Dish folks attempt to illicit an argument and it showed up again. I hit the same wall today. I started reading some threads and said here we go again. I too am totally sick of it. We dont want to censor but I am ready to delete anything remotely close to Directv bashing and/or E* versus D*. I personally cant stand seeing it too.

Thank you, Scott...to be honest, as more of a lurker than a poster, I thought I had just done something wrong and it wasn't going through. I apologize for the multiple posts.

And I especially agree about your posts about both companies improving, and hope I didn't come off as Anti-Dish. I have little experience with them, and I am sure there would be stuff I prefer over Directv and vice versa.

I just don't want to see this site go down in a flame war. I am geek enough to have seen that happen...I think Joel was the better host of MST3K, but I didn't think Mike was bad, either.:)

I think pointing out that D* was touting History HD as an "exclusive" for them and then to have it debut on E* is a very relevant thing to point out.

D* promised/advertised something untrue. They Misled the public, call it what you want, its false advertising. And deserves to be pointed out at every chance. there own press release catches them in it.

Advertising channels that dont exist yet as being one you will carry, especially as an 'exclusive', is completely wrong.

E* isnt clear on this point either, the way they are spinning the MLB EI and B10 issues is another example of misleading customers.

I am an E* sub, I have been a D* Sub, and will probably be again, I go where the best consumer/content value is for me at the time.

I think a forum dedicated to showing the misleading statements of both sides would be a great addition.

I think if you look back at History BOTH companies have put out a lot of misleading (hell they flat out lied) in their press releases.

Look back at when Dish announced the SuperDISH and what it was going to offer us. :)

I think calling it a lie is a bit of an overstatement as well. You'll note History Channel made no move to dispute this, and if I remember correctly, they even had their About Us information at the bottem of the press release. I think they had an agreement, it looked like Directv would be first or, at that point, Dish wasn't interested. History Channel never commented on anything in that press release, and I would highly doubt they were unaware of its existence.

Dish had the bandwith, had the will, and History HD got on a system with millions of subscribers earlier than they expected. I am sure they didn't care much that Directv took a bit of egg in the face...they certainly aren't going to pull it out completely after advertising it so heavy. Life in the corporate world.

Disputes, machinations, and discussions like this are why Directv is so silent on launch dates and promises now, I would wager. I wish they would say "We lauch on __/__/__ at __am," but in this world of instant communication and forums, they just can't anymore without risking accusations of lying and incompetence.

I actually agree with a lot of your points. And we have been having discussion about this in our staff area.

If you will notice its the same select group of people who are causing the issue. We are actually considering putting these folks on a global ignore list (and if you want to see what they don't have to add) you can unblock them.

I especially find it distrubing to see people complaining about services which they do not subscribe to and probably have never seen.

I will be the first to say there is no such thing as a perfect satellite company, but I like the fact that both are working hard to improve.

I actually deleted one of Dish folks attempt to illicit an argument and it showed up again. I hit the same wall today. I started reading some threads and said here we go again. I too am totally sick of it. We dont want to censor but I am ready to delete anything remotely close to Directv bashing and/or E* versus D*. I personally cant stand seeing it too.

No need to put me on a "global ignore list". If I want censorship, I'll go to the dbstalk site. This will be my last post on the D* forum (maybe SatGuys as well). Obviously you can't read all my posts but if you had you would know of my interest in both D* and E*. I specifically added quotes from the D* press release to back up the OP's question. This was not to provoke an argument but to add facts to the discussion. Maybe some of the cheerleading staff members on the D* forum will finally wake up and acknowledge that D* may be fudging the truth in regards to those 100 "National HD channels" and all the D* exclusive HD launches.

Voyager I don't believe we were talking about you for the global ignore list (those folks names begin with a V and a Q... well I guess yours begins with a V too, but your not the V) :)

You made your point with your post, I think we can all apprcite it, DirecTV screwed up with their press release. :)

I just don't think that all these Dish folks coming into the DirecTV area going "nah nah" does any good for anyone. I feer the same is going to happen when DirecTV starts lighting up their HD channels with channels Dish does not have, and DirecTV folks go to the Dish Network area and go "nah nah" back.

There will always be cheerleaders for both companies and we understand that, the question is how do we let the folks chear without it overtaking the topics at hand.

DISH VS DIRECT WARZONE would be a great forum for an all out discussion between the two providers. All rules would be dropped and people could just go at it and get out their aggression. Any topics in the other forums that go the way of this kind of thread would be redirected to the WAR ZONE for further discussion. Why suppress it ? It is like talking politics between Republicans and Democrats. You can't stop people from discussing it , arguing over it, and fighting over it. But you can capitalize off of it and provide a forum for people to get out their aggressions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts