An Actual Directv Subscriber Here

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DISH VS DIRECT WARZONE would be a great forum for an all out discussion between the two providers. All rules would be dropped and people could just go at it and get out their aggression. Any topics in the other forums that go the way of this kind of thread would be redirected to the WAR ZONE for further discussion. Why suppress it ? It is like talking politics between Republicans and Democrats. You can't stop people from discussing it , arguing over it, and fighting over it. But you can capitalize off of it and provide a forum for people to get out their aggressions.

Ding Ding Ding....we might have a winner.

I didn't want to start some sort of war with my post either, or advocate censorship...as I said, I never go into the Dish Network forums, so I certainly believe there are posts of this nature there as well. I just am tired and frustrated, especially now with an announcement of HD goodness so close, to go on an information thread and have it turned into the same old DISH vs. Directv debate. I don't mind cheerleading and fanboys...I just want to chose which ones I hang out with. If you are happy with Dish, live well and be free...I just wanna hang out with the Directv crowd. Personal choice...

So which one is directv, the Jets or the Sharks? (Who'd thought I could mention MST3K and West Side Story in the same thread?)

It's so easy to lay blame on ALL the others, but it is very clear to many that the DirecTV forums have become the whining grounds for subs of the other pay providers. Every thread has been hijacked by folks with agendas simply to stir the pot - threads that have nothing to do with anything but DirecTV.

Might I suggest some new forums...

1. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv Picture Quality.

2. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv Programming.

3. Dish Network Subscribers Complain About Directv HD.

4. Dish Network Subscribers Discuss Their Superior Inteligence.

5. Dish Network Subscribers Point and Laugh at Directv.

6. Dish Network Subscribers List All Mistakes Ever Made by Directv.

7. Dish Network Subscribers List All Mistakes Ever Made by Dish Network (empty forum)

8. Directv Subscribers Forum...this forum would have a bot that automatically posts "I have Dish Network....nyah nyah." after every post.

Seriously, I have lurked on this forum, dbstalk, avsforum, and occaisionally dbsforums for at least 3 years now, and while all of them have the occaisional bashing, it is epidemic here. I admit I never go on the Dish Network forums, so I don't know if they have to suffer through the same worthless, self serving junk. But the reason I don't go on Dish forums are, I DON'T CARE!!!! I'll bet the largest FIOS system in Los Angeles is far superior to either company, and I DON'T CARE because I CAN'T GET IT. I have invested a lot of money in Directv, I am generally satisfied, I am not switching any time soon, so LET ME GET MY NEWS ABOUT MY SYSTEM OR I WILL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND TO HELL WITH YOUR SUPPORTING COMPANIES AND ADVERTISERS. Directv is not perfect...I have complaints and problems that arise with them, too. I would much rather discuss them, however, with people who might have fixes or can at least sympathize. That would be other directv subscribers.

If Satelliteguys.us wants to be a strictly Dish Forum, I'll say, "It's been interesting, best of luck, see ya around", shake hands and leave quietly. But it particularly galls me that I have to suffer through Directv threads with nothing but posts from Dish subscribers, including Staff members who don't seem to care about the forum experience of members with Directv.

The thread on History HD is a perfect example. Yes, History HD launched on Dish first...yes, History was going to be an exclusive launch for Directv...yes, it didn't work out that way. I can't blame A&E networks...they got the opportunity to go early, and they took it. Would Dish have put it on if they weren't feeling pressure from Directv's marketing? Debatable...we'll never know. Was Dish smart to make a pre-emptive move like that? Yes. Do I come to the Directv forums for news of why Dish is better? Absolutley not. Yet a staff member feels the need to make a smirking post about Dish's superiority.

To the staff and Moderators...please control your forums or narrow your focus to Dish. This is not a pleasant, friendly, or informative place for Directv subscribers to come.
You're just another unhappy D* customer! Seriously, I never bother reading any D* post, you're title sucked me in, because I'm don't care. I'm a satisfied E* customer mostly because of equipment that meets my needs. I do keep an eye on which programming each has and any new equipment that comes out. I can't believe one is VASTLY superior to the other.
P.S. Stay out of our E* threads. ;)

Can there be a "subscriber's only" filter with this software where only D* subs can post on D* forums and vice versa? Something that you can maybe implement in the User CP. Granted, anyone can claim that they sub to any service to gain access to that forum, but it might be a start. I am not advocating censorship. But some restraint would be nice. I know how to use the ignore button and I am not afraid to use it. ;)

But as a D* sub (who has also had V* and E*) I do not go into those forums because I "don't belong". I don't even lurk over there. It holds no interest for me. When/If I change providers, I may go over there for info/discussion about the E* offerings/PQ/etc. But until then, I don't go over there.

As a general statement to those who have E* (or both D* & E*): Unless you have something constructive to say, even if it is pointed and potentially the painful truth, please stay on your side of the sandbox. If you are happy with your service, then I am happy for you. If you are not happy, then feel free to explore the D* forum and consider joining D*. But there is no need for squabbling about PQ differences (or DVR's or OTA reception or channel lineups or sports programming) between E* & D*. We as educated consumers can easily discover these differences ourselves by looking at each company's website and/or seeing a demo at an electronics store.

I will gladly support the warzone concept if it means that the Mod's can make clear that any and all posts/threads that violate the "good natured discussion of a suitable topic" will be moved without warning to the WarZone.

That would be a forum I would lurk :D

Thou shalt not point out faults/ deficiencies of your provider or else I will move you to the warzone. :rolleyes:

It's not so much the "your machine/provider has faults" comments. It's the "your provider has faults and you are a blazing idiot for not switching to my provider which has no faults whatsoever", and "why can't you see how stupid you are for not recognizing that I AM RIGHT"comments. I have no problem with anyone stating that there is a fault in my setup. BOTH services have faults. What you see as a fault may not be that much of a fault to me/us. If you see the fault, and want to be helpful, tell me what the fault it, and how I can fix it...without having to switch to another service.

If you see a fault, go ahead and share it with the class and move on. Otherwise, go eat some more glue. We here in the D* forum wish to discuss the faults and benefits of D*. Simple as that. We are not a secret society that plots how to beat-up Charlie and steal his toys. Nor are we here discussing how E* gives you cooties.

Sorry for the kid-based comments...can you tell that my kids started school last week? :D

Thou shalt not point out faults/ deficiencies of your provider or else I will move you to the warzone. :rolleyes:

I know the faults of my provider...I also know that I look terrible in spandex, will never be 25 again, will never be confused with a male model, am a hack golfer, and I suffer from the curse of being a Philadelphia sports fan. I also would rather not spend my leisure time with people who enjoy pointing those things out to me every minute of the day.

Opinions are like hypodermic needles...sometimes you just don't want people to share them with you.

Have your opinions...share them on the E* Forums. Let us poor deluded lemmings with Directv go...

Have your opinions...share them on the E* Forums. Let us poor deluded lemmings with Directv go...

Vurbano is one of us. He just loves to point out everything possibly wrong with Directv or anything for that matter. A smart guy with some good things to say but you have to dig through most of it and take it with a grain of salt. He had a chance to leave Directv and stayed (cant say I understand that decision at all). I know I try to promote Directv but I like the service and look for any way I can to help folks or try to improve the service. Others dont exactly see it that way hence this thread. I think there are several things wrong with Directv and their hardware but despite the mistakes and flaws, at the end of the day its the best combo for my household and I am happy about that.

There are plenty of "Are you jealous of DirecTv yet" posts in the Dish forum too. Not that it si justified but it happens both ways.

For my own sanity, I hereby quit the thread I started, and pledge to live by my words and not post anything negative about Dish Network or its subscribers.

So, when does D10 light up?:D

There are plenty of "Are you jealous of DirecTv yet" posts in the Dish forum too. Not that it si justified but it happens both ways.

No, it doesn't really happen both ways. I would say about 1% over on the E*forums compared to here. By the way, the Jealous thread you mentioned was definitely not started by a D* guy, it was started by an E* guy that was asking his brethren what they all thought. I think I was the only one so far that is a D* guy that commented in the thread and I certainly did not have any bashing in my comments, as a matter of fact, I answered the question with a no.

Okay, even if there are E* bashing threads over there, then apply the same rules of conduct there as proposed above. :eureka

It doesn't really matter who started it...it was started and snowballed. Now let's see if we can agree to simple terms. You go back to "your side" and post about anything you want regarding E* (or even D* for that matter), and we will stay on "our side" and say what we want about D*.

Unless you have something constructive to add, don't post. Again, I will say that I don't post over on the E* forum for anything...I don't even lurk over there. So unless you have D*, or have something of value to add to the commentary, keep your pie hole shut. We have our own issues to discuss over here without having to defend D* or unspin what has been spun by E* folks. :up

HMMM....I have never blogged before joining this group last month. I am both a E* and D* customer. I found this sight and joined because I had problems when E* killed my 921's after that I started buying HR-20's and migrating towards D* I found an overwelming amount of neat tricks and technical data from this web site. I found answers here and tried helping others who posted questions. I find myself going directly to D* forums and not going to E* forums. I like coming here to learn. Yes I may complain about some stuff ie: the way I was treated by an installer, etc. I suppose this could be bashing. I take lightly what the other camp bashes this camp about as long as it does not take away from the original intent of the string. I guess it's because I have both and sometimes it humors me. Most of you guys who are the regular posters even have me all excited about HD coming. I have to admit, getting online almost everyday to see if updated news on how close HD DAY is. I have taken posters ideas and used them to my benefit to get better service from D* and your suggestions work. If I had to vote, yes do without the cross camp bashing. Yes, start a D* vs E* forum to let the camps have at it. I might enjoy visting there when having a crusty day and need a laugh at who's got the bigger unit. I have too much to learn here from others mistakes, frustrations and problems that I may be of help or they may have the exact problem I'm having to help me. This web forum is teaching me alot and to the point I am considering joining as a paid subscriber because I don't want to see the sight disappear.
Jim

HMMM....I have never blogged before joining this group last month. I am both a E* and D* customer. I found this sight and joined because I had problems when E* killed my 921's after that I started buying HR-20's and migrating towards D* I found an overwelming amount of neat tricks and technical data from this web site. I found answers here and tried helping others who posted questions. I find myself going directly to D* forums and not going to E* forums. I like coming here to learn. Yes I may complain about some stuff ie: the way I was treated by an installer, etc. I suppose this could be bashing. I take lightly what the other camp bashes this camp about as long as it does not take away from the original intent of the string. I guess it's because I have both and sometimes it humors me. Most of you guys who are the regular posters even have me all excited about HD coming. I have to admit, getting online almost everyday to see if updated news on how close HD DAY is. I have taken posters ideas and used them to my benefit to get better service from D* and your suggestions work. If I had to vote, yes do without the cross camp bashing. Yes, start a D* vs E* forum to let the camps have at it. I might enjoy visting there when having a crusty day and need a laugh at who's got the bigger unit. I have too much to learn here from others mistakes, frustrations and problems that I may be of help or they may have the exact problem I'm having to help me. This web forum is teaching me alot and to the point I am considering joining as a paid subscriber because I don't want to see the sight disappear.
Jim

:welcome and AMEN! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts