An Ethernet Based Receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cold Winter

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 22, 2005
Folks:

This will probably interest sponsors here as well ;)

Check out this device
hdhomerun atsc device

My question; Does anybody make a similar device to use as a Sat Receiver??? :confused:

I'm thinking an ethernet based device ( perhaps DLNA? ) with V-Box type capability
as well as the usual coax ( Disecq/USALS ) to lnb interfaces. All weather enclosure mounted
behind the dish, with power ( 120V~ ) and Gigabit ethernet cable to the
pedestal.

Considering that even TVs these days have ethernet ports, it just
might be the ticket for this hobby.

Any Info? :coffee

Elgato makes a DVBS S2 LAN solution EyeTV Sat - HD Satellite TV for your Mac or PC, with CI slot for Pay TV, but it has no North American support. I own one and have played with it to learn the potential.

We are currently under a NDA for a revolutionary new type of tuner system for the satellite industry. Time will tell if the product will see the light of day.... Maybe in a year or two from now satellite distribution within the home will look much different and be available in most local electronic stores...

I love my HD Homeruns! They allow me to use any PC on my network to watch or record OTA DTV without having to install tuner cards in each machine.

Brian, a network distributed microHD would be wonderful! :)

Love the HD Home Run!!! Since my move into the Sierra foothills and fringe signal area reception, I have been without OTA DTV. Temporarily installed the Silicon Dust and HTPC at the office to record. Weekly, I bring the recorded programming home for viewing.

In the process of installing a 70 foot Rohn 25G tower with two stacked Antennas Direct 91XG deep fringe UHF antennas and a Winegard YA-1713 VHF-hi into a CM7777 Titan amp (yep, I have minimal OTA siganls at my new residence). Instead of losing signal down the coax and through distribution, I am mounting the HD Home Run at the top of the tower with a WiFi 802.11n link.

Working on a personal project to control the rotor via WiFi. If this works out, I will be placing a solar panel and deep cell battery to power the equipment. If the WiFi rotor control project gets to crazy, I will just run rotor control cable and CAT6 with inserted power for powering the CM7777 amp. Soon to have OTA DTV at home again!

I have a leftover polyurethane weatherproof wall box with a hinged dual clasp door - 12 x 18 x 8. The wall box is designed for protecting low voltage distribution equipment. If I go the solar route the battery and regulator would be placed in a separate wall box.

My original idea was to place the tower on neighbor's property about a half mile away for better line of sight for an estimated 50+ OTA channels and use two 76cm dishes with WiFi (tuna can probes). This WiFi connection could easily support a few mile line of sight shot back to the house. Scaling back the idea and will keep the OTA on the property and hopefully receive about 15 channels.

Will use the idea for a proof of concept on a solar powered motorized satellite dish system.

Elgato makes a DVBS S2 LAN solution EyeTV Sat - HD Satellite TV for your Mac or PC, with CI slot for Pay TV, but it has no North American support. ...

Thanx for the link. I guess the answer to my question
is "not at this time" ;) when it comes to an ethernet
based solution.

BTW, if your planning on using anything short of CAT6 cable
on your HomeRun ( eg wireless ) I'm hearing you
may not be too happy with the outcome. With HD
its easy to use most of the 100Mbits from the box
and WiFi would have to be via 5.8GHz "A" radios
using "N" protocols. :rolleyes:

But I like the idea of pedestal mounting that HR box.
Should be quite the little setup.:eek:k:

I will buy one of these devices once it has a 10/100/1000M Ethernet connection. Both of these devices are still using old 10/100M Ethernet technology.

Brian, I hope you post some pictures of the finished project!!

How about the whole project. You can't have too many pictures. I already have the Rohn tower in place (62ft) and a couple Ham antennas up there at the end of my garage. It never crossed my mind to WiFi the OTA signals...

I know this thread has been revived from last year.. any news on a DVB-S network type device SatelliteAV? Currently I use SmartDVB on a PC which will send a UDP stream over my wired network at home. Would love to take the PC out of the mix. It's nice to be able to transcode that UDP stream with VLC so I can watch my sats from work, but I do have to keep an RDP connection into my home PC to change channels.

How about the whole project. You can't have too many pictures. I already have the Rohn tower in place (62ft) and a couple Ham antennas up there at the end of my garage. It never crossed my mind to WiFi the OTA signals...

Terrestrial Update: Before installing the tower I rented a boom bucket truck and checked the signals at 50 - 60 feet and found that the elevation actually eliminated several networks that are available at my location via ground effect. Live in a valley, so antenna height isn't always a benefit.

Ended up placing the antennas at the 12' and 16' elevations. Mounted the HomeRun in a low voltage box on the tower and a single run of cat 6 back to the LAN. Using a rotor, so ran the Silicon Dust dc power on a few extra wires in the control cable.

Less fancy than the original plan and have 5 sections of Rohn 25 to list on Craiglist this spring.

I have thought about putting up some OTA antenna's on a neighbor's hill near me and shooting the channels down via wifi myself a while back. I think the wifi thing is a great idea shooting it from a close hill. Already had some radios up there several years back trying to pickup internet when there was no service in my area.

Around the house (yard) I find wired (STP cat5 and 6 cable) very consistant for higher throughput requirments such as transfers between computers etc. Been using a gigabyte router and switch setup for a while now. Too bad more network devices don't have the gigibyte ports instead of the 10-100 only. Most consumer products seem to be stuck there for some reason. Even the fastest wifi seems slow in comparison. Maybe the latest 802.11AC will help.

wireless-G isnt of to much use for us on the higher bitrate feeds, just wont fit. 100mbps will be taxing on a network if your trying to stream a 66mbit/sec feed but it's doable. I can stream a 66.8mbit/sec transponder over wireless-n from my basement to my bedroom (through two floors) and it works, but id much rather do it over gigabit if it was a permanent fixture attached to the tv everyday. Thing to remember is if the appliance is smart it'll only stream the pids you are watching, not the entire tp. So that significantly lowers your bandwidth.

UDL

I will buy one of these devices once it has a 10/100/1000M Ethernet connection. Both of these devices are still using old 10/100M Ethernet technology.
Since someone mentioned that this was originally an old post, I did some research and discovered that they do now have a gig eithernet connection on the new model. I think I will buy and test this triple tuner with the 10/100/1000M Ethernet connection.
http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-cc/

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts