An OTA Stumper

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
In Indy, Wish (8), the CW outlet, has not been on Dish for going on 3 years. Here's the kicker. When I wach the channel OTA on the H3, I can't...pixelation, banding, audio drop, freezing, etc. Yes, I have properly pointed antenna. BUT, when I go upstairs to watch via wireless Joey, it plays as perfect as a sat channel. Recording is hit and mis, from perfect to a mess. I am using AIR TV dongle, but same thing appened with the old single channel. Any ideas about this "anomaly"?

• Wow
Reactions: TheKrell
That is a stumper. You have only one H3, correct? That being the case, there is something wrong with that H3 which I have never heard of before.

Just to cover all bases, when WISH is badly pixelated on the H3, does the Joey simultaneously play fine? That is what I assumed in my "bum H3" hypothesis above.

Where is your antenna? Perhaps your body eclipses the station when watching the H3, but doesn't when watching the Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell
That is a stumper. You have only one H3, correct? That being the case, there is something wrong with that H3 which I have never heard of before.

Just to cover all bases, when WISH is badly pixelated on the H3, does the Joey simultaneously play fine? That is what I assumed in my "bum H3" hypothesis above.

Where is your antenna? Perhaps your body eclipses the station when watching the H3, but doesn't when watching the Joey.
Both my original and replacement Hopper have done same thing. Yes, the joey simultaneously plays finel Antenna (flat) is on top of bookcase where the Hopper is about 7' below.

I had a similar issue with an ota sub channel & HWS
With the HWS, I could not get that station but I could go to any other tv in the house and watch it directly from the antenna
At times, there would be picture with no audio. Just never could get that station using either ota dongle, but never an issue on the tv direct from the antenna

I had a similar issue with an ota sub channel & HWS
With the HWS, I could not get that station but I could go to any other tv in the house and watch it directly from the antenna
At times, there would be picture with no audio. Just never could get that station using either ota dongle, but never an issue on the tv direct from the antenna
This particular station is know to have problems with anthenna "channel sharing". It's shared station (fox) is loud and clear. BUT it still does not explain the Hopper/Joey difference.

You guys may find this one hard to believe but I have definitely seen this before in my market. This is because WISH is using a digital replacement translator on channel 26 in addition to their regular broadcasting on channel 9. The hopper is trying to display channel 9 when tuned and I suspect the Joey is displaying channel 26. In my case the two towers for WGAL are in two different directions 90° apart however WISH has both antennas on the same tower. Now with VIP equipment you could delete channel 9 and manually enter 26. You can not do that with hoppers. Somehow you need to get the channel scan to skip or disregard channel 9. Maybe try rescanning and cover the antenna with aluminum foil for the first 20% of the scan? It may take a couple of scans to get the timing down.

You guys may find this one hard to believe but I have definitely seen this before in my market. This is because WISH is using a digital replacement translator on channel 26 in addition to their regular broadcasting on channel 9. The hopper is trying to display channel 9 when tuned and I suspect the Joey is displaying channel 26. In my case the two towers for WGAL are in two different directions 90° apart however WISH has both antennas on the same tower. Now with VIP equipment you could delete channel 9 and manually enter 26. You can not do that with hoppers. Somehow you need to get the channel scan to skip or disregard channel 9. Maybe try rescanning and cover the antenna with aluminum foil for the first 20% of the scan? It may take a couple of scans to get the timing down.
Finally, something that makes sense,

In case you didn't know it CW has a website and you can stream for FREE any content. But it does come with commercials you can't skip. The video comes out in HD over the website, unlike my local CW which is standard def. It used to be in 720p until the local company for KFDM decided to take that hd and use it for the Fox station, when they moved it over to the same antenna from where it was.

www.cwtv.com

Reactions: charlesrshell
In case you didn't know it CW has a website and you can stream for FREE any content. But it does come with commercials you can't skip. The video comes out in HD over the website, unlike my local CW which is standard def. It used to be in 720p until the local company for KFDM decided to take that hd and use it for the Fox station, when they moved it over to the same antenna from where it was.

www.cwtv.com
That's what I meant when I said I could watch on Roku.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
In Indy, Wish (8), the CW outlet, has not been on Dish for going on 3 years. Here's the kicker. When I wach the channel OTA on the H3, I can't...pixelation, banding, audio drop, freezing, etc. Yes, I have properly pointed antenna. BUT, when I go upstairs to watch via wireless Joey, it plays as perfect as a sat channel. Recording is hit and mis, from perfect to a mess. I am using AIR TV dongle, but same thing appened with the old single channel. Any ideas about this "anomaly"?
I have encountered the exact opposite. One station is viewable from my Hopper but not on any Joey.