Analog stations

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sjpvt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Hi all,
OK...I am slowly learning the jargon. I have survived for many years on a simple roof antenna, so now switching to an HDTV and Voom is presenting a lot of new options. Anyway, as far as I can tell, here in northern Vermont, we do not have any digital channels, yet (let alone HD channels). So, I assume that means that all of our local network affiliates are analog. If I run the Voom OTA antenna into the VOOM box, will these analog stations appear the in the PG? If they do not, what are my options for watching the major networks (CBS, NBC, etc) on my VOOM / HDTV setup?

go to www.titantv.com & put in your zip code. It will tell you all of the digital & analog stations available. If a network station is droadcasting in digital, you can bet you're getting HD programming.

Thanks Sparkman for the TitanTV link. I gave it a try and, as I suspected< there are currently NO digital OTA stations in the Burlington, Vermont area. I then checked the "Stations coming soon" button and the local NBC affiliate is due to go digital in May 2004. CBS and ABC received "FCC extensions."
So....how do I watch these analog stations with VOOM?

Don't have Voom, so I'm not sure. Hopefully Sean will see this. He knows more about Voom than Chuck Dolan!

Go to www.hdpictures.com. Great site for info on future stations. Shows ch3 has a construction permit issued on Digital channel 53. Nothing else in town. Also go to www.hdtvoice.com Good forum there, also.

sjpvt said:
So....how do I watch these analog stations with VOOM?

I believe that the STB that VOOM is using will be able to turn to analog locals. But let me get back to you on this one. I am not too sure about it.

Sparkman said:
...He knows more about Voom than Chuck Dolan!

:D

Voom and analog tv stations

There is no analog tuning capability in the box. Logic was that analog coverage and quality was too spotty and hard to manage both from an equipment and location perspective.
The effect of digital, if everyone was running at their authorized power, is typically a doubling of analog coverage area and generally consistent good picture quality—or none at all.
Wilt

I think you are confusing the Dish Network 811 which can tune to both Analog and Digital. Voom can only tune to Digital OTA.

rtt2 said:
I think you are confusing the Dish Network 811 which can tune to both Analog and Digital. Voom can only tune to Digital OTA.

That's why I said I was not sure and asked Wilt to answer the question for us. Thanks Wilt.

So, if I understand this correctly then, when I get VOOM installed, there is no point in running the OTA antenna cable into the VOOM receiver, right? So, how do I watch VOOM programming and also have access to my local analog stations?

This is a bit depressing. As much as I know that I will love the HD and SD programming that VOOM provides, I would really love to have access to some of the major networks in HD. And, apparently it is out there to be had. Why should I not be able to get a distant CBS station via the satellite? I know it is possible, since DishNetwork advertises CBS-HD as part of its package (for qualifying locations, or with a waiver...whatever that means!). It could be years before our local stations convert to HD!
Actually, what I would really like is to have a HD Superbowl party with my new HDTV! Instead, it looks like I am going to have to have 50 diagonal inches of pixelated analog Superbowl party! Oh well, I would still rather live in Vermont than LA. :dance:

Yes, no analog on voom stb. Does your tv have an analog tuner? If so, you can watch the locals using the tv analog tuner and use Voom for SD and HD channels.

You will still be able to watch both. Your HDTV will have more than 1 input method and should have buttons on the remote that allow you to change the input displayed at the touch of a button. CBS-HD is the only option for network HDTV & that was kind of a fluke. Had to do with Sears exclusive sponsorship of SEC football and the fact that they advertised that you could see it in the stores. The only way they to get the signal to the stores was by DISH, so an agreement was reached.

Living in N Vt, you are probably familar with the Canadian networks. There is another option, ExpressVu. You have to buy the service through a broker, but they do carry HD of all 4 US networks. The east coast feed is Boston. I have ExpressVu, but not HD. I get a good selection of Canadian & US channels for about $38/mo. I didn't get it for the HD, I did it for the timeshifting. I've got a couple more websites I will send to you if you're interested where you can get more info. There would be a chance for the Super Bowl Party with them.

Sparkman,
thanks for the info on ExpressVu. Yes, I would be interested in any other Web links you have regarding getting access to this option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)