Andrews Commercial Dish - worth it?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
it is a 9 or 10 meter dish... see the pictures. a lot of work to move it 15 miles. Not sure but I think it is Ku only, so how easy to make it c and ku? Looks like it moves but I'd have to skew polarity, so not that easy to scan the arc... The gain would definitely be beneficial as I am in a fringe location for footprints.

see the pictures
16528150056_8d8076945f_o.jpg 16553049312_1aeca799db_o.jpg

Expensive dish.$150,000 maybe with the complete control system. It's three axis control includes skew.

You would need a crane to move it not to mention all the prep and concrete needed to make a new pad for it. And I think finding a replacement LNB would be a tough one. :)

That would cost a ton to move. :) if you got the funds do it!!!

Not many folks have a dish that big in the back yard. I think if I tried The wife would move out or make life hell until it was gone. I would buy a farm and start a sat farm :)

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
If I had the money, space and open horizon...... :)

It may not be transmit compliant for KU, but I am sure that it would do fine for KU receive. Your aiming would need to be spot on and probably even track the KU satellite within the box. In the course of station keeping the satellite would move in and out of the narrow KU-band beam width of a 40' dish.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Is that an aviation obstruction light on there? If so, make sure the FAA will allow the dish at your location and that you can comply with the FAA regs. (I guess it could just be a 'transmitter on' light.
Big project, but could be worth the effort. Maybe that entire feed setup could be scrapped for a simpler more conventional fta style?

L~O~O~K at the SIZE of that actuator!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That would look nice at the apartment I think the management would give me approval for that. Do you think that would be under the otard rule for 1 meter.

Reactions: polgyver
That would look nice at the apartment I think the management would give me approval for that. Do you think that would be under the otard rule for 1 meter.

Don't have to worry about the 1 meter rule here, I fall under the "any size" clause:

A "dish" antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska), designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

I'll have to ask if I can get the control unit... original owner was probably smart enough to sell it as the dish was left behind. I'd probably take it apart and rebuild it over time vs crane and semi trucks.

I have a SE view on a mountain, so it would be dug into mountain to keep it low and clear trees to see the horizon of 80W to 139W (wondering how far in azimuth it can swing?)

Reactions: Titanium
I'd probably take it apart and rebuild it over time vs crane and semi trucks.
Is it possible to add temporary "axis", in order to spin the dish, so, only the lowest part could be dismantled?
Are the bolts holding front and back segments (panels) to the internal ribs easy to unscrew? Are they stainless, or aluminum, or, rusty steel?
Each quarter of this dish (four segments) could make respectable offset dish on its own...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)