ANGELS RATED MOST FAN-FRIENDLY FRANCHISE (good alliteration!)

Sandra and I've gone back and forth plenty on these boards. We bust each other's grapes quite often. No ill-will intended. :)
Which is why I have a great deal of respect for her, even though she often dishes it out too me as well. :up

No wonder your boyfriend dumped you! You can never shut up!

Kidding, kidding. Gawd I hope your thick skinned. ;)

Fair enough. KCK, OP, what do you think about this? Is it ok to discuss other teams on this list (sans the LeBron talk which can lead down a sticky, off-topic, back and forth banter)??

It's about all the teams, not their stars...not the fans...not the rivalries or the individual posters' egos.

Example: our esteemed friend DodgerKing has made some great points on the negative side of the article. I am glad he feels the same way as I do about the new parking "situation" @ Chavez Ravine !!!!:eek:

I posted this to be fun. But, I know how THAT can go around here sometimes.:rolleyes:

Your thoughts on the rankings of your respective teams?

My thoughts are...whatever. Seriously. Totally irrelevant.

The Yankees are rated last in baseball, and there is no atmosphere like it anywhere in the sport, except Fenway. That's all that matters to me.

Ranking teams in ownership? Like that matters? Player likeablity on and off the field? Quality of arena and game day promotions? Strength of on-field leadership? Openness toward the fans by players, coaches, and management? Huh?

Like these things can be quantified?

The Philadelphia Phillies are ranked 6th in Title Track Record, and the Yankees are ranked 26th. All credibility of these rankings is lost.

Sandra

Sandra and I've gone back and forth plenty on these boards. We bust each other's grapes quite often.

Will it become the next great Sports Section rivalry?

Salsa and Sandra's banter is considered legendary; will HD and Sandra someday become that?

Will it become the next great Sports Section rivalry?

Salsa and Sandra's banter is considered legendary; will HD and Sandra someday become that?

No rivalries at all. Two sports fans who sometimes have like opinions, and sometimes not. That's what sports is all about.

Sandra

I think polls and surveys like this article suggests provides us Sports Fans interesting banter to discuss during the dog-days of summer. These days are considered a down-time for sports and I do appreciate other things to discuss such as polls in the meantime.

I also appreciate and can respect the methodogy for determining this list. Here's a link on exactly how each team was graded and the criteria at stake. I say it's a pretty fair assessment of the current state of each franchise.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4297571"]Ultimate Franchise Rankings Methodology - Peter Keating, ESPN The Magazine - ESPN[/ame]

I think polls and surveys like this article suggests provides us Sports Fans interesting banter to discuss during the dog-days of summer. These days are considered a down-time for sports and I do appreciate other things to discuss such as polls in the meantime.

I also appreciate and can respect the methodogy for determining this list. Here's a link on exactly how each team was graded and the criteria at stake. I say it's a pretty fair assessment of the current state of each franchise.

Ultimate Franchise Rankings Methodology - Peter Keating, ESPN The Magazine - ESPN

That doesn't really explain how the Phillies were ranked 6th in Title Track record, and the Yankees 26th. And the Cardinals are number 1 in titles? As Seth Myers would say...REALLY?!?

So much of this is subjective, but titles can be quantified. That sinks the credibility of their entire process.

Sandra

That doesn't really explain how the Phillies were ranked 6th in Title Track record, and the Yankees 26th. And the Cardinals are number 1 in titles? As Seth Myers would say...REALLY?!?

So much of this is subjective, but titles can be quantified. That sinks the credibility of their entire process.

Sandra

Sandra, this is a current look at the franchises. In no way does this take in consideration the history of teams, but only a small current snapshot at each franchise. The Yanks haven't been competing lately, so they suffered in that category.

And btw, the "Title Track" category only counts for 5.3% of the total pie.

One thing that really surprised me is that the Boston Red Sox are ranked lower than the Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Texans, and Nashville Predators.

To the dissapointment of Sandra, the I-Can't-Stand-Them-Landers are NOT the lowest rated hockey team; that dishonor belongs to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Are the Leafs REALLY worse off than the Fish-Stick-Landers?

Sandra

This is my problem with it also.

The Yankees, Canadiens and Celtics are listed #26, #39 and #12 respectively in the "Title Tracker" category!

Huhhhhhhhhhhh????? :confused:

Sandra, this is a current look at the franchises. In no way does this take in consideration the history of teams, but only a small current snapshot at each franchise. The Yanks haven't been competing lately, so they suffered in that category.

Small current shapshot? When did you decide THAT was their criteria? :rolleyes:

Title Track Record does not mean how many titles they've won in the last six months, it means what it says...TITLE TRACK RECORD. I can understand if they don't want to go back to the 40's, but the Yankees have won a number of championships in the recent past.

Unless they're surveying eight years olds, there is no reason to rank the Phillies above the Yankees in TITLE TRACK RECORD. Or above a number of teams for that matter.

Sorry, this calls into question the credibility of their entire process.

Sandra

Small current shapshot? When did you decide THAT was their criteria? :rolleyes:

Title Track Record does not mean how many titles they've won in the last six months, it means what it says...TITLE TRACK RECORD. I can understand if they don't want to go back to the 40's, but the Yankees have won a number of championships in the recent past.

Unless they're surveying eight years olds, there is no reason to rank the Phillies above the Yankees in TITLE TRACK RECORD. Or above a number of teams for that matter.

Sorry, this calls into question the credibility of their entire process.

Sandra

It also states that it takes into account the likelihood on how each ranked team will win a TITLE in the FUTURE.

I understand yours and Bill's beef though. No biggie. :)

I guess I haven't been to enough games to make that assessment (I have been to about 20 Angel games). I know when I watch the Angels play the Sox on TV in Anaheim, the Sox fans chant louder than the Angel fans.

Brutha, I've been going since the 80's. There was a time when families didn't go to the View level. Drunks were ALWAYS fighting up there. In general, tho, our fans are pretty cool people. We don't have the history of the Dodgers, but we are building one of our own. Orange County is certainly more of a family-oriented area than L.A., so that's going to show in our sports franchises, as well. But make no mistake, we are absolutely dedicated to our team. Got to Halosheaven.com and you will see the largest community on SBNation. a couple hundred die-hard Angels fans join together online every game to watch the game. The Red Sox don't even have nearly that many. We're proud of our team, our owner and our manager. You guys have Alyssa Milano, tho....
GAWD, she's HOT!

Brutha, I've been going since the 80's. There was a time when families didn't go to the View level. Drunks were ALWAYS fighting up there. In general, tho, our fans are pretty cool people. We don't have the history of the Dodgers, but we are building one of our own. Orange County is certainly more of a family-oriented area than L.A., so that's going to show in our sports franchises, as well. But make no mistake, we are absolutely dedicated to our team. Got to Halosheaven.com and you will see the largest community on SBNation. a couple hundred die-hard Angels fans join together online every game to watch the game. The Red Sox don't even have nearly that many. We're proud of our team, our owner and our manager. You guys have Alyssa Milano, tho....
GAWD, she's HOT!
1980's? That was before their one WS title. That was before the modernized stadium. That was when they could hardly drawl any fans.

This is not meant towards you at all. Every Angel fan I run into says that they have been a fan their whole life and have supported the Angels their whole life. Prior to their one WS championship, the Angels hardly had anyone show up to their games and you would seldom see anyone wear any Angels gear.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/anahatte.shtml

Notice, the first time they averaged more than 30k fans was in 2003, the year after their World Championship. There were times in the 70's when they couldn't even average 20k fans (this is when the Dodgers were drawling 3 million). During most of this time they played in a stadium that held over 60k seats.

Of course they were not much off from the AL average during that time and even passed the AL average during the 80's

They used to see in the mid-20's in the 80's. And the stadium seated 65,000 then, so it looked real empty! The 90's it went down to 19,000 at many games and the franchise was considered dead. I'm not one who rags on the so-called bandwagon fans...a lot of people were fans who gave up. It's hard for a team to maintain interest when year after year they win right up until the end of the season..same result every year, especially when the #2 most popular team in the MLB is half an hour away( back then it was at least, today its 2 hours) and some hot young catcher named Piazza is showing the world that catchers can be all around threats!

I'm gonna share the secret of how to figure out an old Angel fan vs. a new one. Just like old Boston fans will clutch their rosaries and mumble about curses and spend the entire season on edge, old ANGEL fans are the ones who get disgusted and start griping when the team starts even LOOKING like it's having some minor problem. Old Angel fans will curse our own team and swear we're thru with this lousy team at least 30 times a season. New fans will have much more faith. They haven't been thru the past several decades..... :D

And old DODGER fans will FOREVER curse the name of Rupert Murdoch for throwing away Tommy Lasorda's godson, one of the best Dodgers in the history of the franchise. That was when my dual team fan membership ended....The McCourt's seem serious about rebuilding that team and I wish them much luck. A true jewel of a franchise used to call Chavez Ravine home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)