ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

Whatever stream or streaming service you are receiving is live retransmitted to your client by your server. The client can initiate the stream.

Dish Anywhere is an specialized example where their propriatary Hopper box is the server with a phone, computer, tv, etc being the client.

Really important to have a high speed internet connection at the home server location with a good upload speed or you will have stuttering.

There is no free ride. You have to subscribe and pay for the service at your home location.

install server program on the device you want to be the server.

Assign a fixed ip address to server and open specified ports on the router the server is plugged into.

Generate client file using server progran.

Load client file onto client device.
The client will then forward requested ip addresses to you home server.

The server will forward the client ip requests using your home ip address as originating ip address and then forward the responses received by the server onward to the client.

If you want the client to forward to a router, tv, etc., the client will need 2 ethernet/wireless ports

They're probably mapping IP address ranges to VPN providers.
Could be. I wonder if VPN dedicated IP’s fall in those ranges. I’d pay for a dedicated for sure. I had better luck creating a VPN router - it didn’t lock me out with a ‘you have to be in Canada’ warning, but it stalled after choos8ng a program. I’m wondering if they’re drilling into your device for cell tower info, etc.

i used to use vpn routers but abandoned them because even the best and most expensive of them will buffer or stutter because they don't have the computing power to seamlessly handle the 2 way traffic.

i use these people now and speed losses are less than a percent or two.

The equipment is not cheap.

Could be. I wonder if VPN dedicated IP’s fall in those ranges. I’d pay for a dedicated for sure. I had better luck creating a VPN router - it didn’t lock me out with a ‘you have to be in Canada’ warning, but it stalled after choos8ng a program. I’m wondering if they’re drilling into your device for cell tower info, etc.
Exactly.

They map both ip ranges and ip providers associated with vpn service.

install server program on the device you want to be the server.

Assign a fixed ip address to server and open specified ports on the router the server is plugged into.

Generate client file using server progran.

Load client file onto client device.
The client will then forward requested ip addresses to you home server.

The server will forward the client ip requests using your home ip address as originating ip address and then forward the responses received by the server onward to the client.

If you want the client to forward to a router, tv, etc., the client will need 2 ethernet/wireless ports
I get the VPN tunnel part of the equation (assuming that CG-Nat or some other nastiness isn't in play that makes tunneling difficult).

What you have failed to explain is how a subscription video stream is supposed to get into the system such that it can be relayed to the client. Without that, the VPN tunnel is pretty pointless.

Reactions: grantb3
i used to use vpn routers but abandoned them because even the best and most expensive of them will buffer or stutter because they don't have the computing power to seamlessly handle the 2 way traffic.

i use these people now and speed losses are less than a percent or two.

The equipment is not cheap.

I see Netgear Nighthawks in their inventory. That’s what I use. What makes theirs faster?

lets say you have two routers in series in your home. #1 cinnected to internet and #2 connected to # 1.

You are connected to #2 and want streaming. Your steam fliws frim internet to #1 then on to #2 and then to your device.

The stream is feeding the primary dns address in #1. #1 then sends it on to #2 in your INTERNAL network

.It's the same procedure for remote location.
The remote client is part of your INTERNAL network and is not seen by the streaming service. Everyting flows hrough riuter #1
I see Netgear Nighthawks in their inventory. That’s what I use. What makes theirs faster?
NIghthawk is a router. The Sabai operating system is probably similar to any other Nighthawk router and is probably comperable speeds
The difference between Nighthawk and the other high end routers and a NUC type box (Sabai calls their's a "VPN accelerator") is like comparing a farm tracker speed to a race car.
None of the routers can match a full blown computer.for performance.

I get the VPN tunnel part of the equation (assuming that CG-Nat or some other nastiness isn't in play that makes tunneling difficult).

What you have failed to explain is how a subscription video stream is supposed to get into the system such that it can be relayed to the client. Without that, the VPN tunnel is pretty pointless.
Think of the Home Server being a router with a single input port. It is plugged into a router on your Home INTERNET.
Think of the client as being a computer, router, tv , or whatever. It is programmed to always connect to the the Home Server. Since it connects to your Home Server, it also is connected to your Home INTRANET even though it may be at a distant location.

Every request/reply on your INTRANET is funneled through your routing system to the INTERNET using the IP address assigned to your service. So any Client streaming requests are just like a streaming request from any other of your home devices.

The client is just another Home INTRANET device and can be located anywhere -in your basement, kitchen, garage, next door, or some hotel room when you are traveling with the client device. It always appears as being at your Home IP location. Only difference between it and other devices is that is connects to your INTRANET by internet instead of cable or wifi and takes a fair amount of processing power to handle the two way traffic.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, fundamentally you just need to subscribe to a paid steaming service of your choice, and set it up to stream to a Computer (say a NUC - which I have just happen to have to play around with, or really any PC I have hanging about) behind your home Router. Then you could set up your say, Laptop, to connect to the Home Network and pull down that stream from almost anywhere - depending on network speeds.

Do I have this correct?

So if I'm understanding this correctly, fundamentally you just need to subscribe to a paid steaming service of your choice, and set it up to stream to a Computer (say a NUC - which I have just happen to have to play around with, or really any PC I have hanging about) behind your home Router. Then you could set up your say, Laptop, to connect to the Home Network and pull down that stream from almost anywhere - depending on network speeds.

Do I have this correct?
Yes you have it correct. I would say stream "through".
You would need to have the handshaking programs in both devices

This is the go to site if you want to do it yourself
OpenVPN is the what almost all are using
It is a free, community developed system with downloads compatible with various operating systems>
Also has client apps for smart phones

Think of the client as being a computer, router, tv , or whatever. It is programmed to always connect to the the Home Server.
It would appear that you're assuming that the streaming device is compatible with a tunneling VPN protocol and you've set your home "server" up as an exit point for the tunnel. That's a ginormous reach for most consumers.

Do I have this correct?
Yes you have it correct. I would say stream "through".
You would need to have the handshaking programs in both devices.
The stream is initiated and controlled by the client device -

Last edited:
After struggling though learning to to get the right gear and then learning how to program and configure it -- next time I would buy these two devices preprogramed and have them walk me though final setup (router ports, etc) by phone. They provide first class service.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007_114038_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_114038_Chrome.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_20231007_114118_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_114118_Chrome.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 70
After struggling though learning to to get the right gear and then learning how to program and configure it -- next time I would buy these two devices preprogramed and have them walk me though final setup (router ports, etc) by phone. They provide first class service.
Do you have any thoughts on what technology Shaw (Rogers) is using on their Ignite software that even VPN’s cannot get past?

Do you have any thoughts on what technology Shaw (Rogers) is using on their Ignite software that even VPN’s cannot get past?
I explained one such technology in post #258. I'd imagine that covers it pretty well.

Whatever IP address makes contact with the streaming services is what Rogers cares about. If you're running your own VPN service, you have some control over that. Otherwise, it doesn't take a whole lot to figure out whether an IP address belongs to a conventional VPN service. This absolutely includes any fixed IP addresses that the VPN provider might offer.

I explained one such technology in post #258. I'd imagine that covers it pretty well.

Whatever IP address makes contact with the streaming services is what Rogers cares about. If you're running your own VPN service, you have some control over that. Otherwise, it doesn't take a whole lot to figure out whether an IP address belongs to a conventional VPN service. This absolutely includes any fixed IP addresses that the VPN provider might offer.
Ok, that was my hope, that their ‘dedicated’ IP addresses came from a different pool of numbers. I’m still doubtful that’s what’s triggering detection, as one of the paid VPN services I use is a very small, Canadian company, with Canadian servers in Toronto, etc. I can’t imagine Shaw/Rogers has any if their IP ranges in their detection zone, they’re just too small of a company. I still think they're drilling into hardware somehow…

Last edited: