ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

pacificrim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
West Coast Canada
The first phase of moving all channels from F2 to G1 has been accelerated and will take place starting Nov 9.
Fuel levels are apparently an issue with F2 and some power-saving measures may affect its footprint into USA.

These channels show as being MPEG4 after the move but at some point all will be HEVC and need a 8xx series receiver.
G1 footprint does not extend far into USA.

November 9, 2022 | Channel Moves

Channel Name
Current Location
New Location
Current Format
New Format
A.Side
F2/26​
G1/X13​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Aapka Colour
F2/26​
G1/X14​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Addik TV
F2/32​
G1/X4​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
ATN HD
F2/26​
G1/X11​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
BET HD
F2/25​
G1/X16​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Big 10 HD
F2/20​
G1/13​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Canal Vie HD
F2/7​
G1/7​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
CPAC HD
F2/2​
G1/9​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Crave 2 W HD
F2/27​
G1/13​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Discovery Velocity
F2/5​
G1/9​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
E! HD
F2/17​
G1/11​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Elle Fictions HD
F2/21​
G1/8​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
English HD PPV 11
F2/12​
G1/5​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
English HD PPV 13
F2/25​
G1/16​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
English HD PPV 23
F2/11​
G1/3​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
English HD PPV 4
F2/31​
G1/2​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
English HD PPV 5
F2/31​
G1/4​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
ESPN Classic HD
F2/26​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
EWTN HD
F2/26​
G1/X14​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Fairchild HD
F2/26​
G1/X12​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Globan Vancouver HD
F2/8​
G1/X15​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
HBO Canada 2 HD
F2/27​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
HD TALC 5
F2/32​
G1/X6​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Investigation Discovery HD
F2/22​
G1/X14​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
KTLA HD
F2/18​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Max HD
F2/21​
G1/X4​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Meteo Media HD
F2/2​
G1/X2​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Miracle Channel HD
F2/18​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Nickelodeon HD
F2/22​
G1/X7​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Odyssey HD
F2/26​
G1/X2​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Penthouse SD
F2/5​
G1/X6​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Playboy HD
F2/5​
G1/X6​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
RAI HD
F2/26​
G1/X5​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Salt and Light HD
F2/29​
G1/10​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Series + HD
F2/7​
G1/X4​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Shaw Direct 299
F2/10​
G1/X12​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Showcase HD
F2/20​
G1/X10​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Sony TV SD
F2/26​
G1/X15​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Super Channel Fuse HD
F2/28​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Super Channel Vault HD
F2/10​
G1/X11​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Telelatino HD
F2/10​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Treehouse HD
F2/12​
G1/X5​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
The Shopping Channel HD
F2/20​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
W Network HD
F2/17​
G1/X11​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
WILD TV HD
F2/28​
G1/X1​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​
Yes TV HD
F2/11​
G1/X10​
MPEG 4 HD​
MPEG 4 HD​

Reactions: stecle
This is interesting. I am in queue waiting for Shaw Direct to install my dish. I suppose we will still need to be able to receive both satellites for a while. With my tree-limited view of the sky, the fewer the satellites I need to receive for their service, the better.

so we should have no signal by the end of the year? in Los Angeles? will the iptv box or anidroid box canada work in Los Angeles-Playa Del ReyCalifornia i see Kusat who i bought shaw from is selling the iptv box what is my better option thanks Evan Hale Playa Del Rey California

so we should have no signal by the end of the year? in Los Angeles?
The West Coast coverage of Anik G1 is predicted to virtually disappear on or about the Oregon-California border.
1666378554567.png

thanks so close but far do you know about the iptv or anidriod box canada nwill it work for me? Thank again
Best to just try it. Then you will know.
And start watch various forums.

Snowbirds across the southern part of the continent will be working like ants and will find the optimum solution .

It will be wild . Hockey fans wintering in California, Texas, Florida, Mexico, etc. will either find an answer or have a heart attack. Probably 10s of thousands of them.

Reactions: navychop
With Satellite companies struggling and birds ending their life cycles soon. Dish seems to have quite an old fleet now. Maybe a joint venture on new satellites or even companies might help everyone? I know and understand coemption is good, but survival is better!

With Satellite companies struggling and birds ending their life cycles soon. Dish seems to have quite an old fleet now. Maybe a joint venture on new satellites or even companies might help everyone?
Just so we're all on the same page, this isn't about DISH. This is about the Canadian service Shaw Direct.

Shaw planned on the satellite being available until 2025 but there was a catastrophic failure in the system that keeps the satellite in place and pointing in the right direction (station keeping) whereby fuel was being burned at a furious rate and thereby forcing Telesat, the satellite's owner. to move the decommissioning (graveyarding) of the satellite up to then end of this year while the bird still has the fuel to do it.

From a practical standpoint, the Canadian satellites do what they can to prevent their signals from spreading into the US and vice versa but some of that can't be avoided. Finding an in-orbit spare is more difficult since it must be designed for use in Canada.

It wouldn't be practical for at satcaster such as Shaw or DISH to enter into a sharing agreement with another satcaster since they're all using most of their capacity for their own purposes (DIRECTV has excess capacity but it is not the right radio frequency and not aimed at Canada). This is surely the case with Bell Satellite TV which is ostensibly Canada's version of DISH. That a new dish would need to be installed and somehow integrated into the existing system is just icing on the cow pie that Shaw has been handed.

Most of the issues in this sub-forum are related to Shaw subscribers who live outside Canada and are bitter about Shaw's ongoing efforts (willfully or by accident) to cut them off.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Just so we're all on the same page, this isn't about DISH. This is about the Canadian service Shaw Direct.

Shaw planned on the satellite being available until 2025 but there was a catastrophic failure in the system that keeps the satellite in place and pointing in the right direction (station keeping) whereby fuel was being burned at a furious rate and thereby forcing Telesat, the satellite's owner. to move the decommissioning (graveyarding) of the satellite up to then end of this year while the bird still has the fuel to do it.

From a practical standpoint, the Canadian satellites do what they can to prevent their signals from spreading into the US and vice versa but some of that can't be avoided. Finding an in-orbit spare is more difficult since it must be designed for use in Canada.

It wouldn't be practical for at satcaster such as Shaw or DISH to enter into a sharing agreement with another satcaster since they're all using most of their capacity for their own purposes (DIRECTV has excess capacity but it is not the right radio frequency and not aimed at Canada). This is surely the case with Bell Satellite TV which is ostensibly Canada's version of DISH. That a new dish would need to be installed and somehow integrated into the existing system is just icing on the cow pie that Shaw has been handed.

Most of the issues in this sub-forum are related to Shaw subscribers who live outside Canada and are bitter about Shaw's ongoing efforts (willfully or by accident) to cut them off.
I do agree with those good points!

Now that I have a signal here in Rhode Island on F2 I have a couple of questions. Is the G1 satellite in the same position as F2? Will any dish adjustments be necessary to maintain a signal? Also, I understand that I have to switch my 630 receiver out since it will not be compatible with G1. So I will plan on shortly obtaining an 830 unit. Does anyone have tips on purchasing an 830 receiver?

Is the G1 satellite in the same position as F2?
Anik G1 is at 107W and Anik F2 is at 111W. If you're using a Shaw dish and it is properly aimed, you're should already be getting both of them. Your settings would have to be pretty far off given the difference in locations between the two satellites in the sky from your location. Anik G1 is 2.3 degrees higher in the sky.

Anik G1 is at 107W and Anik F2 is at 111W. If you're using a Shaw dish and it is properly aimed, you're should already be getting both of them. Your settings would have to be pretty far off given the difference in locations between the two satellites in the sky from your location. Anik G1 is 2.3 degrees higher in the sky.
When I go to the signal strength settings I have read-outs for T1 and T2. T1 has a strength of 90 and T2 has a strength of 86. Am I correct that these are the two satellites?

When I go to the signal strength settings I have read-outs for T1 and T2. T1 has a strength of 90 and T2 has a strength of 86. Am I correct that these are the two satellites?
T1 and T2 are the tuner numbers (coax inputs). When in the "Tune in Satellite Signal" screen of "System Status" you will see on the third line down Network T1 (and T2) it will say what satellite it is on, either F2 or F1/G1. Manually enter in a channel number and it will say what satellite it is on as it changes tuners. Some of the lower channel numbers are F1/G1 (examples 141, 175, 176, etc.) and some like 700, which you used to tune in, is F2.

T1 and T2 are the tuner numbers (coax inputs). When in the "Tune in Satellite Signal" screen of "System Status" you will see on the third line down Network T1 (and T2) it will say what satellite it is on, either F2 or F1/G1. Manually enter in a channel number and it will say what satellite it is on as it changes tuners. Some of the lower channel numbers are F1/G1 (examples 141, 175, 176, etc.) and some like 700, which you used to tune in, is F2.
Thanks for this. I will check now. Does your information also suggest that instead of tuning to get the greatest signal strength from F2, I should instead use a channel that uses G1 since that will be the one that we will rely on down the road?

Does your information also suggest that instead of tuning to get the greatest signal strength from F2, I should instead use a channel that uses G1 since that will be the one that we will rely on down the road?
If your elevation and skew are set correctly and your mast plumb, both should be fine.

Thanks for this. I will check now. Does your information also suggest that instead of tuning to get the greatest signal strength from F2, I should instead use a channel that uses G1 since that will be the one that we will rely on down the road?
For fine tuning, I would make sure F2 as good as it can be (since it is starting to fail), as long as it does not take much away from G1. But, as harshness says, they should be fine and both increase at the same time if all is set correctly, but even then a slight tweak might be a small detriment to the other one. Once channels are all on G1, you can always do another slight tweak.

For fine tuning, I would make sure F2 as good as it can be (since it is starting to fail), as long as it does not take much away from G1.
Anik F2 is broadcasting as hot as ever. Its failure is that it is spending a lot of fuel maintaining its positioning in the Clarke Belt because two of its four engines have decided not to work.

• Wow
Reactions: (((Garyd)))