ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

Anik F2 is broadcasting as hot as ever. Its failure is that it is spending a lot of fuel maintaining its positioning in the Clarke Belt because two of its four engines have decided not to work.
Yes, and because of this it depends on how far they let it drift before taking action on station-keeping. Checking the two satellites at N2YO.com - real time satellite tracking does show a much bigger drift for F2 than G1.

Therefore, Signal Quality of F2 transponders may degrade during the day/night as the satellite drifts more out of position, so favouring those F2 signals seems justified at this time.

Anik F2 is broadcasting as hot as ever. Its failure is that it is spending a lot of fuel maintaining its positioning in the Clarke Belt because two of its four engines have decided not to work.
It was not the best written press release.
As I read it, 2 thrusters had failed earlier and 1 of the remaining 2 failed last summer , leaving it with a single thruster.

Reactions: harshness
It was not the best written press release.
As I read it, 2 thrusters had failed earlier and 1 of the remaining 2 failed last summer , leaving it with a single thruster.
Maybe the propellant is still being supplied to all engines but it is only "burning" in one. In any case, it will only last a short time longer and the last gasp of propellant will be used to put it into a graveyard orbit.

The canadian hockey snowbirds will have a national day of mourning when it gasps its last breath
That will happen after they move the content to Anik G1 using HEVC but the result is the the same. Even some of the northernmost southerners are likely to be vexed by the receiver transition.

The canadian hockey snowbirds will have a national day of mourning when it gasps its last breath.
YEP!!!!!!! That day of mourning actually occurred for French-speaking snowbirds over a year ago when RDS and TVASports were moved to G1, at which point I cancelled my Shaw.

At least the English-speaker hockey fans can subscribe to ESPN+ in the US, but as far as I know there is now no "legal" way to get the French NHL hockey broadcasts in the southern US. ESPN+ does not offer the option to select the French stream, unlike its predecessor nhl.tv.com.

Actually, my day of mourning was in the spring 2013 when I watched the streaming of the successful launch of G1, all the time praying it would end up in the drink. :)

Actually, my day of mourning was in the spring 2013 when I watched the streaming of the successful launch of G1, all the time praying it would end up in the drink.
That wouldn't have helped as Anik F1R wasn't going to last forever. Anik F2's failure is just the last straw.

That wouldn't have helped as Anik F1R wasn't going to last forever. Anik F2's failure is just the last straw.
Yes, you're right.....I think I knew that at the time.... :)

When I originally purchased my southern subscription twenty years ago a well- known and well-respected member of this forum told me to think of StarChoice/Shaw as a "temporary investment in entertainment". He was right. But it doesn't make it any easier to swallow, now that it's actually happened.

The OP was also right: "thy end is near".

YEP!!!!!!! That day of mourning actually occurred for French-speaking snowbirds over a year ago when RDS and TVASports were moved to G1, at which point I cancelled my Shaw.

At least the English-speaker hockey fans can subscribe to ESPN+ in the US, but as far as I know there is now no "legal" way to get the French NHL hockey broadcasts in the southern US. ESPN+ does not offer the option to select the French stream, unlike its predecessor nhl.tv.com.

Actually, my day of mourning was in the spring 2013 when I watched the streaming of the successful launch of G1, all the time praying it would end up in the drink. :)

I have the Sportnet Now app on my firestick and upgraded to the Sportsnet Now premium package giving you all the NHL games including the option to select the French feed. (I am English but still prefer the RDS french version of the Habs). Next week, I plan on taking my firestick south for the winter to continue watching.

I have the Sportnet Now app on my firestick and upgraded to the Sportsnet Now premium package giving you all the NHL games including the option to select the French feed. (I am English but still prefer the RDS french version of the Habs). Next week, I plan on taking my firestick south for the winter to continue watching.
So that you're prepared, here's what I get when I try to view a video there:

1667580615029.png

Looks like the inclined orbit is still anticipated sometime around year end.
Anik F2 is a multi band satellite and with C and KA band customers in addition to the KU band servicing Shaw.

Extract from the Telesat 3rd Quarter earnings call --- Nov 8

"-----We disclosed last quarter that we have an anomaly on our anik f2 satellite that reduces its station-kept lifetime from 2025 and to more like the end of this year. We noted that anik f2 represents approximately 8% of our total revenue and that absent finding ways to provide continuity of service for our customers using the satellite, we anticipated revenue could be reduced by roughly one third versus what we previously expected it to be for next year 2023.

We noted also that we are working closely with our customers to evaluate and implement measures to offer them continuity of service and mitigate the adverse revenue impact on the company. I'm pleased to say that our team, working hand in glove with our customers has developed a range of plans to continue to support the services now provided on anik f2.

These plans include making changes through antennas communicating with the satellite in order to extend service, relying on other Telesat and third-party satellites, and even purchasing an existing Inorbit C-band satellite from another satellite operator that's expected to be repositioned and co-located with anik f2 in the coming months. Assuming all of these things occur as planned, we now anticipate that we'll retain over 90% of the revenue we originally expected to recognize from anik f2 next year, although there are some additional operating expenditures associated with leasing third-party capacity for some of the customer requirements, as well as the capital expenditures associated with purchasing the third-party satellite and making other investments in ground infrastructure.

We'll provide a further update when we release our Q4 numbers, and I do want to applaud the combined efforts thus far of the Telesat team, our customers, and other partners as everyone works hard to provide continuity of the important services supported on anik f2.---"

Reactions: navychop and FTA4PA
does this mean we in Los Angeles will not lose all are stations that are still coming on F2 for shaw Direct. or will their no service on F2 in 2023? Thanks Evan Hale Playa del Rey California

does this mean we in Los Angeles will not lose all are stations that are still coming on F2 for shaw Direct. or will their no service on F2 in 2023? Thanks Evan Hale Playa del Rey California
Probably not. In Shaw's finest style, this press release is subject to wild interpretation. It appears that their stated plan to move everything to the HEVC compression scheme wasn't going to work. Various comments in the release don't seem to mesh all that well with each other but the idea that a bigger dish will be required was advanced.

When we discover which satellite it is, we'll be better able to tell what its Ku-band payloads are and what its coverage area might be.

I suspect that the 10% revenue loss may reflect the loss of "southern" subscribers.

This one was the verbatim transcript of the boss answering questions from stock analysts at their quarterly earnings call.
The talk of moving to other satellites would cover the Shaw transmissions moving to G1.

Probably not. In Shaw's finest style, this press release is subject to wild interpretation. It appears that their stated plan to move everything to the HEVC compression scheme wasn't going to work. Various comments in the release don't seem to mesh all that well with each other but the idea that a bigger dish will be required was advanced.

When we discover which satellite it is, we'll be better able to tell what its Ku-band payloads are and what its coverage area might be.

I suspect that the 10% revenue loss may reflect the loss of "southern" subscribers.
No, the above posting from nelson61 is from Telesat, not Shaw Direct (two separate companies). As is stated, the satellite Telesat is getting is C-band only.

See this thread for further information and how it may affect Shaw Direct:

As is stated, the satellite Telesat is getting is C-band only.
Most C-band satellites also carry other band payloads. Anik F2 carries 50 Ka transponders (Viasat), 40 Ku transponders (Shaw) and 24 C-band transponders.

According to Lyngsat, the C-band usage of Anik F2 is just one transponder so it doesn't make a great deal of sense to place a uniquely C-band bird there.