ANIK F2 - Thy End Is Near

Ignite is a user pay cable service. Why would VPN bypass and do anything?
VPN’s are capable of bypassing many subscription online services geo-location protections, like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, etc. Ignite is doing something way more secure than just IP location sensing.

I can’t imagine Shaw/Rogers has any if their IP ranges in their detection zone, they’re just too small of a company. I still think they're drilling into hardware somehow…
Have (or in this case, don't) it your way.

Figuring out who owns an IP address is a simple matter and it can be done programmatically. It may be possible to track who signs the TLS security certificates but I'd imagine that a good VPN service would be smarter than that... maybe not. Regardless of how they're doing it, there isn't much you can do to change the VPN's technologies and policies and this may extend to providers of dedicated VPN hardware.

Rogers has a responsibility to their content providers to ensure that they're not serving up content to consumers outside of their licensed service areas and may be on the leading edge of how it is done right. Remember that as badly as you want the content outside of Canada, Rogers can't step on other licensee's toes.

Reactions: jorgek and Foxbat
Have (or in this case, don't) it your way.

Figuring out who owns an IP address is a simple matter and it can be done programmatically. It may be possible to track who signs the TLS security certificates but I'd imagine that a good VPN service would be smarter than that... maybe not. Regardless of how they're doing it, there isn't much you can do to change the VPN's technologies and policies and this may extend to providers of dedicated VPN hardware.

Rogers has a responsibility to their content providers to ensure that they're not serving up content to consumers outside of their licensed service areas and may be on the leading edge of how it is done right. Remember that as badly as you want the content outside of Canada, Rogers can't step on other licensee's toes.
I’m sure there’s a point of balance where the licensee’s wouldn’t care if their paying customers want to watch their shows while traveling. But this is Rogers after all, where the customer is always at the forefront of their decisions ;)
I have friends in the U.S. who access their TiVo’s while outside the country with no problem. And yes, some networks restrict ‘certain’ programs, but it’s at the network/show level, not TiVo throwing a blanket ban over every channel, as Rogers/Shaw does with Ignite software.
I‘ll stick with Rogers being the devil here, not the licensee’s. ;)
Nonetheless, they’ve locked it down hard, since NOBODY has figured out how to bypass it..

Knowing that Ignite will not work in the U.S., why not just load your firestick with apps such as Global, CTV, CBC, SN etc along with a VPN app to watch all you Canadians shows? As a snowbird, this worked for me last winter.

Reactions: stonemountain
Can I sell my Shaw Direct HD PVR830 HD Receiver now that I can`t get signal down here in Miami Fl.?

If I'm breaking the rules let me know or take this down
thanks

Next moves

1698513526286.png

Reactions: c-spand
I think the rest of the changes you refer to are modulation changes on G1 and have nothing to do with F2 other than changing compressions, etc to provide space for the remaining F2 channel moves.
if by modulation changes you mean HEVC no they are still MPEG. I think dual feed always means F2 and G1.

Technical Information: Dual Feed from November 16 – November 30, 2023, remaining in MPEG-4
The CATV and MPEG will be provided once finalized.

if by modulation changes you mean HEVC no they are still MPEG. I think dual feed always means F2 and G1.

Technical Information: Dual Feed from November 16 – November 30, 2023, remaining in MPEG-4
The CATV and MPEG will be provided once finalized.
RF modulation changes are unrelated to compression. You can change either one without fiddling with the other unless you go to the extreme (reduced error correction or slashing the number of video keyframes).

Is anyone down here in the "southern market" actually getting any channels anymore? As of this morning, everything I had now has a message on the guide saying new equipment required. I am assuming I would have to get it directly from Shaw which is a no-go and everything is slated to go away anyway in February. Anyone figured out any viable alternatives to getting Canadian programming down here?

Is anyone down here in the "southern market" actually getting any channels anymore? As of this morning, everything I had now has a message on the guide saying new equipment required. I am assuming I would have to get it directly from Shaw which is a no-go and everything is slated to go away anyway in February. Anyone figured out any viable alternatives to getting Canadian programming down here?
[/QUOTE]
Getting lots on F2 with the 800 series receivers. 600 series are dead as far as I knowl

Getting lots on F2 with the 800 series receivers. 600 series are dead as far as I knowl
[/QUOTE]
Post #284 explains ways to Canuck TV down south. Of course you still have to be a paying customer of Shaw or Shaw Direct

I am still getting the channels that are possible to get. A bit south of LA. I watch mainly TSN and movies. Working OK as of last night. Model 630 PVR, 75cm dish.

Signal update in AZ this morning with an 830 pvr and a 60cm dish. Channel 252 is 96 with Ecbno of 7.5. - As strong as I have ever received.
There's always going to be high spots when the satellite comes into your dish's focus. Power may be being bumped a bit to reduce the impact on the other side of the service area (the Great White North).