Anik F3 @ 118.8W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
Sathint is now showing an NBC HD feed and KSAZ Fox 10 channel. These are shown as circularly polarized and DVB-S2. Right now I only have a horizontally polarized LNB. Is there a Ku LNB I can buy that has both circular and horizontal? Or is it more complex than that? My ultimate goal is to get some of the network local channels, and this may work without me going into C-band.

Those are 8PSK Turbo which unless you have a PC Card that can do that you wont be able to pick them up (if they are **truly** there)

I'm not really sure what that means. I have an Openbox S10 receiver which is capable of picking up the DVB-S2 stuff. Is that good enough or not?

nope
8PSK Turbo is something that Dish uses. Its something different than normal DVB-S2

There are 3 types of DVB-S2
DVB-S2 QPSK <--------SSO's can get
DVB-S2 8PSK <--------SSO's can get
DVB-S2 8PSK Turbo <-----cannot get. Need a PC card with the right codes/attachments etc

and like I say those may not even be there. Dish moves stuff around all the time

Also looking at "thelist" transponder 32 at 118.7W is DVB, not S2
You can't mix DVB-S2 & DVB on the same CONUS transponder. If it was a spotbeam yes you can do that. But not CONUS. SO again it may not even be there anymore (thelist on the Dish side updates as Dish updates channels. Its automatic)

They are not TURBO, they are regular DVB-S, as I get them on the AZBox. They are hidden (requires manual entry, and there is also one other channel not listed on sathint in the mux).

To get them you need a normal circular LNB and your receiver can scan that frequency (which is just a bit lower than a circular LNB specs), apparently some receivers can do it. Or you need to buy a circular LNB that can also do the normally linear frequencies 11700-12200.

Or, you can do what I did. I had a linear LNB (frequency range of 11700-12750) thats cap had deteriorated, and also had a circular LNB that also had a deteriorated cap. Took the cap off the circular, removed the piece of plastic (or teflon or whatever it was) from the throat of the LNB, and put it in the throat of the linear LNB (and put on a cap from a LNB that had an accident and was unusable).

Anik F3 - Circularly Polarized?

Hold up. I don't think Anik F3 has any circularly polarized C-band or Ku-band antennas onboard. You can check out the info for the satellite at www . telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-f3.

Ooops. I just saw that they don't list the polaization info on their web site. However, I am a former uplinker and I know that both the C-band and Ku-band transponders on F3 are linear.

Last edited:
118.7 KU Band is KU Band circular

its an oddball thing. 11.7-12.2Ghz but circular polarity. This allows Dish to have that satellite and Echo 14 at 119 with no issues

Paint Me Embarrassed!

Well, I'll be a Son of a Gun!

I'd been in the uplink business for 27 years and had always thought that all the domestic FSS satellites had linear antennas for their Ku transponders, and that only the DBS satellites operated circular. Ya learn something every day!

Even the Intelsat birds over the Pacific use linear for Ku even though some of them use circular for C-band.

you can get some circular signals on a linear LNB but as you mention it is a low signal
When I scan 91W with the Manhattan it always seems to grab one TP on Nimiq1 (also at 91W) with 12 scrambled channels

I can't see the video or hear the audio of the HD stations on my CS7000; I just see signals from the three new stations after manually entering them.

I have the same results but with a Universal circular lnb. I tried an S2 blindscan and no S2 signals show. I could not perform a manual PID entry on the S2 card with DVBDream. I suspect Turbo or scrambled, or both.

The 3 Ch's are there, I'm watching them right now with my OpenBox.
You need a "DSS 10750 LO Dual Output LNB for 119/118.8"
After checking our sponsors web sites I Finlay found one at Hypermegasat.
They also show up on E-bay occasionally about the same price after shipping.

I just did a scan of that TP on 118.8W, and to my disbelief I'm actually picking up one scrambled channel there. It's marked "Ch-998". I'm using a linear LNB... the Invacom SNH-031, which is why I was so shocked to get anything. Pixl, I may look into that LNB you mention. I'm also using the Openbox S10. Thanks for the info.

The 3 Ch's are there, I'm watching them right now with my OpenBox.
You need a "DSS 10750 LO Dual Output LNB for 119/118.8"

That is good to know that they are still there. Actually I am using a Universal Lo 10750 dual output circular lnb. I manually enter the PID and can see the signal strength and the channel is labelled "TV5" on the CS5K. When I do a scan on the S2 Hd card I can get, but not watch, the other "test1" scrambled channel which has a different PID. I just wish I could do a manual PID entry on the card because I then believe I would have success.

I just did a scan of that TP on 118.8W, and to my disbelief I'm actually picking up one scrambled channel there. It's marked "Ch-998". I'm using a linear LNB... the Invacom SNH-031, which is why I was so shocked to get anything. Pixl, I may look into that LNB you mention. I'm also using the Openbox S10. Thanks for the info.

Andrew,

It's not the circular lnb that is a secret weapon. Although it is the best way to get circular, you can, as you found out get some signal on linear as there is some bleed over either way.
The channels are also hidden and require manual pid input. For the OpenBox you have to do this on a channel editor. Here is the info posted by Perseus elsewhere on the net.

Anik F3, 118 degrees

Channel Freq/Trans Pol. APID VPID

KNXV 12185 L 4131, ENG AC3 4130
KPNX 12185 L 4643, ENG AC3 4642
KSAZ 12185 L 4899, ENG AC3 4898

KNXV = 720p, KPNX = 1080i, KSAZ = 720p
Symbol rate for all 3 = 20000 3/4

In addition to the above info, I found on my OpenBox I had to change the video from Mpeg2 to H264, again using the editor.

So if you are seeing $998, it's worth trying to edit in this stuff.

Thanks Pixl, I was wondering why I only found channel 998. Most of the accidentally-unencrypted channels on Dish these days are hidden ones, but I didn't remember seeing anyone mention that this particular batch was hidden, so I was really puzzled!

Success Succes!! I found a channel editor for DVBDream that can NOT do manual PID entries. However I could edit the PIDs of the existing "test1" scrambled channel to those listed above and I now have the hidden channels. Way Cool.

Success Succes!! I found a channel editor for DVBDream that can NOT do manual PID entries. However I could edit the PIDs of the existing "test1" scrambled channel to those listed above and I now have the hidden channels. Way Cool.

Nice work around.
On the PVR-800 editor which is similar to other editors, I put up the screen with other ch's listed for that tp, then right clicked in an open area and chose "add ch" then fill out the blanks. Maybe yours is the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.