Anik G1 FAQ

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
What is Anik G1?
Anik G1 is a new multiband satellite to be co-located with Anik F1 and Anik F1R at 107.3 It will provide Extended Ku service to Canada (16 transponders all leased by Shaw Direct), C + Ku band service to South America + X Band service covering the Western Hemisphere. Footprints: Anik G1 | Telesat.com

When will it begin service?
Scheduled start Dec 2012/January2013

Why doesn't the Extended Ku band footprint cover all of the US and most of Mexico like F1R/F2?

Under the ITU Agreement, the Extended Ku band is not authorized for satellite only service in North America. Telesat and Shaw have a temporary permit from Industry Canada to operate in this band from 107.3 and 111.1 until 2028.

Will I need to realign my dish?
No

Will I need a new LNBF?
A xKU LNBF is required for reception of G1.

Will I need to upgrade my receivers?

G1 signals will be MPEG4 at a data rate of either 38.8 or 45 mbps. Only 6XX receivers can receive MPEG4 from any of Shaw Direct satellites.

Why will Shaw not deploy DVB-S2 with a high data rate?
A much larger dish is required plus alignment must be much more precise than with MPEG2/4.

I'm outside the footprint of G1. What channels will I lose?

Unlike Bell which has been replacing existing satellites with new ones that have a different footprint, G1 is additional bandwidth for Shaw. No F1R/F2 transponders are being replaced.

2 or 3 of the transponders will be used to distribute additional Canadian OTA locals in standard definition to bring Shaw Direct in compliance with CRTC regulations.

At this time, Shaw Broadcast Services have not stated whether they will use G1 to distribute Shaw Media or Corus HD signals to cable head ends.

It is known that Canadian networks will push the CRTC to require Shaw to distribute 1 HD signal/network/province. This would easily fill the rest of the G1 transponders.

I have a stacked LNBF, will it work with G1?
The xKU non stacked LNBF will be required to receive MPEG4 signals from G1/F1R/F2
Existing non stacked LNBFs can receive MPEG4 signals from F1R/F2.
There is a 75 cm xKU non stacked LNBF

Do I have to pay for the xKU LNBF?
SD is charging existing existing customers $50.
However, if one pays for a MPEG4 channel, they have not.

What will happen to the HD channels on F1R/F2?
They will stay. Shaw will gradually change all HD transponders to MPEG4 (just as F1R, tr1 now is). This will give them 180 to 200 HD channels on F1R/F2 + 80 to 85 on G1.

Will there be an new Extended Ku band satellite at 111.1?
Probably not. Telesat has stated that they will replace F2 in the 2020 to 2023 timeframe with 2 new satellites. One is expected to be a C/ka band, the other Ku/Reverse DBS for Shaw.

Last edited:
I have two dishes, one pointed to 107, the other to 111. I live in the footprint of G1. I have 6xx series receivers. Is there an aftermarket xKu LNBF that I can put on the 107 dish to receive G1?

I am right on the line. Someone told me I will need a 4 footer.

I am thinking that the new LNBF will output an additional IF frequency for the G1 satellite similar to the stacked system concept.
Probably - they are telling subs who have stacked systems with 4X8 multiswitches that they're multiswitch will work with the new LNBF.

Probably the reason that there are no channel maps for stacked systems and MPEG4. SD wants these out of the system.

Thanks for the info. One question I have as being outside of the footprint so I won't be able to get channels from G1, will I need a bigger dish, or I can keep what I already have in place (75mm)?

Thanks for the info. One question I have as being outside of the footprint so I won't be able to get channels from G1, will I need a bigger dish, or I can keep what I already have in place (75mm)?

You can keep it exactly the same as what you have now and you will be fine. You just will not get the channels that they put on the G1 satellite.

Last year, any sub with a stacked LNBF who signed up for NFLST got a free non stacked one since some NFLST channels were MPEG4. Expect them to repeat this offer this year. It would be a xKu model as that's all that SD is supplying now.

Last edited:
Shaw has been raising prices $3/month every July for almost a decade now.

As for the high cost of cable head end/LNBFs for G1, I see this as good news for subs outside of the G1 footprint.

Small cable companies will want new HD signals on F1R/F2 to save costs.

The increase used to be in September, maybe they will do it every 10 months now.

Hopefully G1 will be mostly for locals.

As far as I am aware Shaw Broadcast/Shaw Direct does not have any plans in place to transition the HD signals on Anik F1R and F2 to MPEG-4 (except for Anik F1/TR1). The new HD signals from Corus Entertainment, Shaw Media and Bell Media will likely be on Anik G1 along with additional locals in SD and HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)