Anik G1 Online. Not strong in the Southwestern U.S.

The only channel I can read any signal on is TFO. I get between 12-15. I have ordered a 120 cm dish and have the 2 lnb kit coming from ku sat. If it does not get G1, I hope it will a least stop rain fade! Back in the nineties this area was full of terrestrial microwave towers. I think that most of them are no longer active ; I am afraid I might just be getting some other signal. If I can get Bell 91 on the 120cm dish, and not G1, I just might cuss or cry!

By the way.. what is the lowest a 630 will receive a channel. I have 31 on 537 noe, but the bar is red. Am I reading a terrestrial microwave signal?

Last edited:
Regarding 82 and 91 West for Bell....I would not hold out much hope for 91, after assisting the Canadian Embassy in D.C. last summer.a satellite dealer tested a 2.4 meter (8 foot) offset for the embassy, and ended up with an unreliable signal with a meter reading no higher than 45 on a Bell receiver.
It seems the Canadian government could just ask Telesat if it was possible to receive the signal or simply swapped to Shaw. Since, I was told, embassies have the ability to have IP addresses from their own countries, it seems easier just to Slingbox it from an office in Canada. A Shaw receiver is a lot less than an 8 foot dish! I bet if the American Embassies in Canada or Mexico wanted Dish/Direct, they could call and be told exactly where the footprint stopped and what type of dish was needed by a satellite engineer. Maybe it was just for Harper's private TV! I bet if the right person from the embassy called, they could get the footprint adjusted just enough to work in Washington.

OK, back to the facts.. Mike was right...I can get a very weak signal on my 120 cm dish on my meter, but not locked on the receiver. I will try on a clearer day, but I am not hopeful.

It will be a few more days until Shaw maps new G1 channels to consumer receivers, so we'll have to wait on that part.

after assisting the Canadian Embassy in D.C. last summer. 91 drops off like a rock between Philadelphia and Washington. While some users in metro Philadelphia have been able to use a 30 inch dish for Nimiq 6, a satellite dealer tested a 2.4 meter (8 foot) offset for the embassy, and ended up with an unreliable signal with a meter reading no higher than 45 on a Bell receiver.

Wow, that makes me feel good that I was able to get a better signal with a smaller dish, Channel Master 1.8 meter, a hundred miles further south, on Bell 91.

Still no G1 for me, even with the 1.8 meter dish, just one transponder that would barley lock to give me a channel.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts