Another 18 inch Dish Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharpee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Bristol, PA
Hello Everyone! Its been a long time since i posted anything.
Just wanted to comment on using a smaller dish for FTA.
I like the reply z4ccamaro had on his setup for hispasat.
That got me thinking. So the other day i pulled out my old directv 18" and aimed for SBS6 ( my true south sat) and low and behold, i was able to pick up the stronger signals! I'm truely amazed! I cant waite for the weekend. I'm gonna try and hit some other sats. Dont get me wrong, nothing beats a bigger dish for serious FTA. Sure is allot of fun, like target practice!
Let me know if you guys are playing around with an 18" dish and what you are able to pick up.
Have a nice weekend! Sharpee

Last edited:
Check out this recent thread on DirecTV Phase III dishes for both circular and real FTA uses.
It has links to a previous Iceberg thread listing other hot channels you can shoot for.
I've made up a little check list and am working my way through them.

I did that many moon ago (ok...about 3 years ago) on my TS "cluster"

G11 through AMC4 is around the same elevation for me in MN and I was able to get the strong stuff on all of those satellites.

Attachments

• 18 test rig 1.JPG
    18 test rig 1.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 18 test rig 2.JPG
    18 test rig 2.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 18 test rig 3.JPG
    18 test rig 3.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 18 test rig 4.JPG
    18 test rig 4.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 18 test rig 5.JPG
    18 test rig 5.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 292
Hello Everyone! Its been a long time since i posted anything.
Just wanted to comment on using a smaller dish for FTA.
I like the reply z4ccamaro had on his setup for hispasat.
That got me thinking. So the other day i pulled out my old directv 18" and aimed for SBS6 ( my true south sat) and low and behold, i was able to pick up the stronger signals! I'm truely amazed! I cant waite for the weekend. I'm gonna try and hit some other sats. Dont get me wrong, nothing beats a bigger dish for serious FTA. Sure is allot of fun, like target practice!
Let me know if y0u guys are playing around with an 18" dish and what you are able to pick up.
Have a nice weeked! Sharpee

Keep in mind that the standard DTV / DN 18" dish has a circular LNBF . Most un-scramble FTA channels are linear .

Wyr

After hitting 30w, I tried my 18 incher on 97w (formerly T5) and was able to get a few channels like GNF movies, GNF Music

Also tried 43w for Dr Dish - couldn't get it....
Works ok on the 76cm though.

Last edited:
Tried Hispasat last night and got the strongest transponders with about 60% quality on my Traxis 3500. Playing around with the small dishes has improved my Sat finding skills. It's getting easier! Got a busy weekend comming up, I hope I can make some time for more sat hunting.

Were you able to get anything on 12175 V ?

Never could get them on the 18, but they come in ok on my 76cm.

I think the pointing becomes more "instinctive" as you get experience. I re-aimed 5 of my dishes today and it took longer to decide which sat to aim each dish at than it took to actually aim them. I even took a good guess at E7, went in the house to turn on the receiver and was suprised to be on it! A little low, but close:)

Can someone let me know if they can get Al Jezeera English or Russia Today off and 18 inch dish? I have a spare Dish 500 and 24 Inch Star Choice dish/lnb in the garage and my mom would love a setup with those two channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts