Another Airave User

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JrC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
HowlerVille, MI
Yesterday I setup my Airave that Sprint was nice enough to send me free of charge.

Like many, I have very poor cell service from any cell provider. I also have no access to DSL or Cable. I have been able to get OK internet access with my Sprint Broadband card. I have a PCS zBoost with an external directional antenna. The zBoost provides me with a pretty good signal, but only for about 4 or 5 feet from the device. Not really very practical.

I have setup an older laptop with Linux to share my Sprint air card with the rest of my network. (The Sprint card replaces my Ethernet Dial-up modem). With this setup I generally get .80 to 1.5 Mb/s download and .20 Mb/s upload. Sprint says the Airave uses about 40Kb/s per active connection, so I though I would try it out.

I am happy to say that I works pretty darned good. I have had two conversations going on simultaneously with good results. The conversation will get garbled if I run a speed test during cell phone usage, so I have to watch network usage while using Airave, but that I pretty manageable.

Now I have the mediocrity both both worlds.

Jim C

Yesterday I setup my Airave that Sprint was nice enough to send me free of charge.

Like many, I have very poor cell service from any cell provider. I also have no access to DSL or Cable. I have been able to get OK internet access with my Sprint Broadband card. I have a PCS zBoost with an external directional antenna. The zBoost provides me with a pretty good signal, but only for about 4 or 5 feet from the device. Not really very practical.

I have setup an older laptop with Linux to share my Sprint air card with the rest of my network. (The Sprint card replaces my Ethernet Dial-up modem). With this setup I generally get .80 to 1.5 Mb/s download and .20 Mb/s upload. Sprint says the Airave uses about 40Kb/s per active connection, so I though I would try it out.

I am happy to say that I works pretty darned good. I have had two conversations going on simultaneously with good results. The conversation will get garbled if I run a speed test during cell phone usage, so I have to watch network usage while using Airave, but that I pretty manageable.

Now I have the mediocrity both both worlds.

Jim C

Now that's an interesting setup...using a Sprint EV signal to make a Sprint 1X signal.

I love my Airave... I also got mine free of charge when they first came out. I lived perfectly in the middle of where 3 cells overlapped with a ton of trees, so of course, no cell signal in the house. I live in a little bit better coverage area now but I enjoy having the tower to myself during football games down the street and full coverage in the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)