Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Something you wouldnt see here in the states

from Northpine

Canadian regulators have approved Native Communications' plan to downgrade its NCI-FM station in Brandon. CIWM-FM will move from its 100kW/326m facilty on 91.5 to 107.5, where it will use 2.7kW/14m. The network plans to work with six First Nations communities that will lose CIWM's signal to establish low-power FM stations. NCI-FM carries a predominately Country format. The network said the downgrade would save money and allow the possible sale of the 91.5 facility to Westman Communications Group, which could use it as a rebroadcaster of Country-formatted CKLQ/880. The new use of 91.5 would require approval in a separate proceeding.

So they're moving from 100kw/326 meters to 2700 watts and 14 meters?
WOW!!!

Attachments

• 2016-100.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 250
And isn't NCI-FM mainly Country as well? It seems very weird to me that they'd basically help a competitor get a better signal. Maybe they need the cash?

And isn't NCI-FM mainly Country as well? It seems very weird to me that they'd basically help a competitor get a better signal. Maybe they need the cash?

Doing some research 880 is the only station on AM in Brandon
Doing more research there are 14 AM stations in the PROVINCE!

4 are in Winnipeg (and one in nearby Portage La Prairie)
1 is 880 in Brandon
3 are AM stations that are allowed to stay on their air in addition to their FM repeaters (way in the Northern part of the Province)

I get the impression (but can't seem to find it documented anywhere) that NCI programs the 15 hours each on Multicultural Radio (Sirius 165) that aren't occupied by ATN Asian Radio, which airs from 6 PM - 3 AM Eastern time daily. At the very least, NCI's National Aboriginal Music Countdown is aired two or three times a week on Sirius 165. I feel like maybe they could do more with those 15 hours? Although this channel isn't heard on XM, it is heard on all active Sirius radios. But, I'd guess that while the CRTC allows them to air commercials, Sirius XM probably doesn't allow that so that they can count it as a commercial-free music channel.

Reactions: Mr Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)