Another Dish sub thinking about Switch..

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hammond22

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
Hi Everybody,

After being very interested in the new HD plans Dish has been hyping up, I'm just not too thrilled with the content these new channels will be offering. I'm strongly thinking about switching to DTV now mainly because of the Sunday Ticket package.

My main sticking point is the fact that CBS still only does 3 NFL games a week in HD. Has anyone heard if there is a plan to change this and do all the games in HD or possibly more? Also, how is the resolution for the HD games on ST?

Also, would it be better to wait for newer receivers to come out or go ahead and take the plunge now. HD locals won't be happening here for quite some time and I get them OTA anyway. I know there has been a few threads on this, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

4 months of ST is not worth 8 months of D*'s lame HD pack.

I live in Scranton, PA which is market no. 54 and we should be upgraded late this year or early next year. As far as the NFL ST goes, my understanding is that all games will be broadcast in HD next year with only non sell out blackouts. That means that games on your local CBS and Fox will not be blacked out on ST. My advice is make the move if you enjoy sports like me. I do watch HGTV, but I could care less if its HD. Sports, movies and shows in that order.

If you get your locals in HD OTA and you don't care about NFL Sunday ticket (which is over now) MLB pass or NBA pass, you're probably better off with Dish I would think. They have TNT HD which stands you in good stead for more sports in HD that you don't pay a lot extra for. The only thing they don't have is ESPN 2 HD and from what I've seen, unless you like poker, there isn't that much there. I'd stick with Dish.

I agree with the above posts, I think you will be happier staying with dish.

If you like the NFL, then D* is definetely the way to go.

I haven't heard any confirmation yet, but rumor is all the games may be in HD next year. Quite a few were this year.

I'm a football nut. Its the MAIN reason I am with D*. Yeah, I'd like more HD programming (who wouldn't right?), but D* is the only source for NFLST, which makes it 100% worthwhile to me.

If you like sports, go to D*. I have it and like it. ESPN2HD had alot of college football and basketball, baseball, and NBA in HD, not just poker. They have NFL STin HD and if you live in the NYC area aton of Yankee and Nets games in HD. They also have OLN's hockey in HD. TNT HD would be nice, but for one night a week of NBA is not enough to justify Dish. D* will end up with TNT HD long with alot of other channels. Now if you are not a sports fan, I would stick with Dish. Charlie isn't a sports fan, as you can tell.

hammond22 said:
Hi Everybody,
I'm strongly thinking about switching to DTV now mainly because of the Sunday Ticket package.

The ST package is not worth the price they charge for it. It is way overpriced for what you get. I wish the FCC would step in and break up the monopoly on it and allow it to be sold by E* and the cable companies. With competition maybe we would get it for a reasonable price.

The FCC would have to go after the NFL as well as Directv. Dish doesn't want to pay for it, so why should they get it. The NFL is in business to make money, that is why Directv has it. I guess overpriced is the opinion of the person paying for it. The fact I get to watch any game, in the privacy of my own home, is worth it to me. In my area we always get the Eagles and Steelers and I don't like those teams. An Eagles-Cardinals game that meant nothing was on here instead of the Redskins-Giants game which was for the NFC East. My father, brother, uncle, and cousin were happy I had it.

Hammond22,

The cost of getting a ST HD next year will be in the $250 range or higher. That has started many ST subs rethinking their signing up. It truly wasn't worth it with all of the blackouts this year, not everything in HD, etc. If you get the networks in HD, the only reason to get ST is if your team is in an area not covered by your local networks.

lou_do said:
The ST package is not worth the price they charge for it. It is way overpriced for what you get.

I disagree. The cost for one seat of a season ticket, to one team, for only 8 home games, is around $300 - $500 for a so-so seat depending on the team - So I will go with the $300. Now imagine taking your wife and one kid. Thats now $900 per year for only one team x 8 games not counting any food, drinks or extra. You have to be kidding that the chance to see the teams of your choosing, multiple games each day, in the comfort of your own home with your own food and no crowd to deal with isnt worth MORE than they charge. This package is a bargin. Everyone always wants something for free.

morehd said:
...the only reason to get ST is if your team is in an area not covered by your local networks.

There are alot of reasons to get ST besides your team being outside the local network. I personally like the ability to watch all of the games, plain and simple. If one game is boring or is at commericial, I switch. The Red Zone Channel was cool too as you knew somewhere was ready to score. Sundays are my day to relax. After a long week at work and house projects on Saturday, I look forward to kicking back on Sundays with the NFLST, a few cold ones and the ability to watch all the games. Is it expensive? $200 bucks last year and they waived the Superfan cost for many, including me. I know that over 17 weeks, I got my money's worth for it. Its one of the few things I indulge in and will splurge on. Besides, I'm in Detroit where our beloved Lions have won ONE playoff game since 1957. I look forward to watching other teams!

how can you think about switching!i have both and echostar clearly has the edge right now and for a long time ,feb.1 dish wll have all the channels directv has plus voom and it looks better

gus

Again, if you like sports switch to D*, if you don't, stay with E*. If you want the NFL ST, Google the NFL's TV contracts. I am almost 100% sure all the games will be in HD and no more blackouts, unless your local team does not sell out the game.

gman1010 said:
how can you think about switching!i have both and echostar clearly has the edge right now and for a long time ,feb.1 dish wll have all the channels directv has plus voom and it looks better
gus

I ran both DirecTV and Dish side by side for nearly 2 yrs until this DEC and find this statement mostly subsective and somewhat untrue. Voom is also only a mild selling point for those of us that have seen it.

I have Directv and am I Sunday Ticket sub also. It is great as many have said already to get the chance to watch other games, especially when their is a good match up not shown in your area and like Proc said also in his post as a Person who lives in Michigan Lions football has been brutal. But other then that Sunday's and the ticket are great for Football fans. As far as Direc Vs. Dish. I have neighbors who have dish. I think if you like sports its Direc, if not into sports then Dish.

Though my parents have Dish Network and their DVR.......To me, not even close to the user friendly that tivo is!! (God hope that Directv DVR I am getting) Does not make me wish to go back to TIVO

I'm getting fed up with the whole thing.

I was happy to hear that D* was pushing to become the HD leader. Now they say they won't have any national HD channels until next year. Screw that.

As soon as FiOS TV is here the wife and I have made the decision to switch.

all im saying is im real dissapointed with d* the only thing they got is sunday ticket ,but now its basketball season and still no tnthd thats why i got dish and for 5 bucks you get voom that sound good to me and you cant tell me eson doesnt look better on dish cause it does!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)