Another External Hard Drive Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tornado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Tulsa
I apologize if these questions about an external hard drive on the Hopper 3 have been answered before, but I could not find them.

Is USB 3.0 helpful on the Hopper 3?

To satisfy the externally powered requirement of the external hard drive for Dish network may a usb bus powered external hard drive be plugged into an externally powered usb hub that is attached to the Hopper 3?

Has the 2 terabyte size limit been exceeded?

Help in trying to answer these questions will be greatly appreciated.

Although I have not tried it, I have read many posts on this site by folks using a powered hub successfully. Also I have read where some have had success using a newer low power EHD without external power, but Dish does not recommend it.

Here is what Dish says about EHD size requirements:
  • Connected to Hopper: minimum 320 GB, maximum 2 TB
  • Connected to Wally: minimum 500 GB, maximum 2 TB
  • Connected to other receivers: minimum 50 GB, maximum 2 TB
Some people have had limited success with drives over 2 TB, but Dish does not support or recommend it.

In my experience, USB3 won't help you too much vs USB2. Video streaming rates are not that high relative to a drive's maximum speed. (USB2 is fast enough to keep up with video streaming rates).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)