Another grounding questions thread...

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I just need to clarify a few points... assume each ends with "right?" and please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Ground wire for the tower/mast/mount should be 10 gauge or thicker, copper, solid, with no insulation.

If the mast is at the point of entry of the line(s), then the same ground wire can be used for the ground block(s). I will have 3 ground blocks (three antennas), so could I have a long run straight down the tower from the mast, then through the 1st ground block, 2nd, then 3rd? Note, my tower is right at the point of entry, so I can keep the ground wire almost perfectly straight while going through the ground blocks.

The mast ground wire should be terminated at the main electric service ground if "nearby", or a new ground rod otherwise. Mine would have to be a new ground rod.

If a new ground rod, then it should be bonded to the main electric service ground using 6 gauge or thicker.

Here is where I'm sorta lost. First, should the wire used to bond the ground rod to the main ground be uninsulated? I suppose in either case, choosing how to run that wire could be tricky. But if uninsulated, it's even scarier.

Second, my breaker panel and meter are on what used to be an outside wall, but a sun room/fully enclosed porch was added onto the house before I bought it. If it wasn't for the sun room, I could have just run the wire around the corner from the tower and along the back wall to that area and found my way to the main ground.

But now with that sun room coming out from the back wall (with its walls and ceiling being primarily aluminum, mind you), how do you suggest I attach to the main ground? I would rather not have the wire running through the interior of the house. I would think that is just asking for fires if lightning strikes the antenna.

Would it be wrong to connect it to the ground of a nearby indoor or outdoor receptacle (i.e. via the plate screw)? Not that it would help me a lot, but it would increase my options. Also, my air conditioner (large central air unit) is very conveniently located if I could somehow use that for a good attachment point. :) I have heard mention of that in the past.

On a side note, I do have a surge protector that the coax from one of the antennas will be plugged into. The surge protector is plugged into a grounded receptacle. So with that, and the ground block for the antenna, the two ground sources (new ground rod and main electrical ground) will in some way be connected. Will that be enough to ward off a ground loop/hum?

Sorry for the long post, but this is just a confusing topic. I've searched on here and couldn't find specific answers to what I'm looking for.

I guess I can summarize the above with the important questions here:

Can I bond a new ground rod for the antenna to the main electrical ground using my central air AC unit?

Does the bonding wire need to be insulated? Or uninsulated?

New question: Where would you suggest I look for a ground rod and the appropriate grounding wires? RadioShack has this: RadioShack.com - Home Entertainment: Accessories: Antennas: Antenna accessories: Economy 4-Ft. Ground Rod. But the word "Economy" makes me a little leary. I've searched the websites for Lowe's (almost worthless site) and Home Depot and couldn't find anything.

I guess I can summarize the above with the important questions here:

Can I bond a new ground rod for the antenna to the main electrical ground using my central air AC unit?

Does the bonding wire need to be insulated? Or uninsulated?

Run a separate wire from the antenna ground to the electrical ground.

In can be either insulated or uninsulated, it's the bonding of the grounds together in a single point that matters the most.

You can add a ground rod to the base of the tower which will help slightly.

What you want to avoid is the lightning finding it's way from the antenna through the TV set to the electrical panel ground. That's a sure way to fry the TV.

A trick that the amateur radio community dose is to have a looping of coax at the antenna mast. Only really good for a direct lightning hit the coax will crack apart from the amps because the lightning wants to go straight.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts