Status
Please reply by conversation.

OceanStateWitch

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
Rhode Island (OceanState)
I didnt want to hijack the other thread I responded in..:rant:
I've had Dtv since 1999 with absolutely NO complaints.

Well my current DVR started to crap out (so I thought - it was resetting all the time) so I decided that instead of just replacing it with a regular DVR we would upgrade to HD-DVR. YAY! about time, right? Called Dtv on Saturday set it all up for Wed between 12-4. I took day off from work (w/o pay). In meantime I figured I'd check splitter in basement ta-da! it wasnt the DVR! that fixed it-no more resetting, but I want HD anyway..

Wed comes along - 12, 1, 2, 3, 4 nothing. 4:15 I get a phone call stating that the tech is running 2 hours late! WHAT!? That means he'll be here at 6pm? The original message stated install would take 3 hours! ugh Well he showed up at 5:30 put dish up but couldnt line it up with sat. transponders and crap didnt line up. Him and my husband were yelling out the door to each other until 9:30 at night! My husband then said that it was getting late/dark and to come back another time and that he would take Friday off from work if he could come back. The tech said he would come back tom (thurs) after 5. That was fine with us, b/c I got out of work at that time.

Well, NOTHING no show! I called Dtv - no help! They told me that if I dont hear from them by 9am today (friday) to call back and they will escalate the matter.
I called them back and they directed me to a field supervisor and they have until 9pm to get in touch with me. Here it is 7:30 my time and I still have no HD, but I got billed for it! I'm so frustrated! I really just want to cx and go with Verizon fios. :mad: They are so fast to take my money every month, $100 a month, but they cant give me customer service?

DirectTV is NOT what it used to be!

The part that kills me is that everyone has a dang cell phone these days and these guys have the phone numbers of everyone they're going to visit during the day. How hard could it be to punch in someones number and say "I'm running late" or "I cant make it today"?

Its not just directv though, its almost everyone. In the last couple of years I've had both home depot and fry's just not show up for a delivery and when I called, was told that they didnt get the item at the warehouse to bring out to deliver, and apparently calling me to tell me that never crossed their minds.

On the other end of the spectrum? Sears of all outfits. I bought a tv from them, that night the guy called to say they'd be out in the morning between 8-10 to bring it in. Guy on the truck called me at 7:45 to confirm it'd be around 8:30 and that he'd call again when they were in route. At 8:15 he called back and said they were 5 minutes away.

Not only was that great communication (which solves about 95% of these problems...a 1 minute phone call), but he knew I was home and ready to receive before driving all the way to my house.

Exactly! and the tech was nice enough guy! We joked around...and he tried like hell. I just seriously dont think he knew what he was doing and didnt WANT to come back.

If he fiddled with it for 3 hours and couldnt get it--I dont think he wants to come back?!

If thats the case, pass the job to someone who CAN do it. PLEASE!? just dont leave me hanging.

Tech left the dish & reciever behind...is there anything I can do?

If you know how to align the dish you could do it yourself and probably better. There are quite a few websites with instructions for aligning the slimline dish for 99-101 & 103. It's not that hard if you aligned dishes before. If you feel up to it I would first max it out for 101 for SD. Then you have to adjust the tilt and the azimuth and elevation dither adjustments for peak on the HD bird's. If you didn't understand what I said wait it out and get a good tech to come out and set it.

The part that kills me is that everyone has a dang cell phone these days and these guys have the phone numbers of everyone they're going to visit during the day. How hard could it be to punch in someones number and say "I'm running late" or "I cant make it today"?

Its not just directv though, its almost everyone. In the last couple of years I've had both home depot and fry's just not show up for a delivery and when I called, was told that they didnt get the item at the warehouse to bring out to deliver, and apparently calling me to tell me that never crossed their minds.

On the other end of the spectrum? Sears of all outfits. I bought a tv from them, that night the guy called to say they'd be out in the morning between 8-10 to bring it in. Guy on the truck called me at 7:45 to confirm it'd be around 8:30 and that he'd call again when they were in route. At 8:15 he called back and said they were 5 minutes away.

Not only was that great communication (which solves about 95% of these problems...a 1 minute phone call), but he knew I was home and ready to receive before driving all the way to my house.

I hear your pain, Dish has the same problem and the responce I got from someone at corporate one time was that "Not all installers can afford the luxury of having a cell phone"

My question is how do you do a job today WITHOUT having a cell phone is beyond me.

But what I honestly think what it is that these installers are just afraid to call customers, because then they get your number on caller ID and they call you all day long to check on your status.

I have done installs before, and its pretty annoying when your at a job that turns out to be more work than it should have been, or you run into a problem and every 5 minutes you got the next customer calling you asking for an ETA.

I hear your pain, Dish has the same problem and the responce I got from someone at corporate one time was that "Not all installers can afford the luxury of having a cell phone"

My question is how do you do a job today WITHOUT having a cell phone is beyond me.

But what I honestly think what it is that these installers are just afraid to call customers, because then they get your number on caller ID and they call you all day long to check on your status.

I have done installs before, and its pretty annoying when your at a job that turns out to be more work than it should have been, or you run into a problem and every 5 minutes you got the next customer calling you asking for an ETA.

Techs without Cell phones ?
Every installation visit they need to call into the center to activate.
You would think the installation company would supply them.

EVERYTIME I have had D* out for anything they have ALWAYS called ahead of time AND left a bus. card with a number for me to get back with them in case of any trouble. (I'm sure it's because they don't want a Charge Back), I have several business cards from the previous installers.

Of course, the older ones probably don't work there anymore.

When I got *E installed a while back the installer gave me his cell # if I ever had problems. I called him a few times and he helped me with no complaints.

If you know how to align the dish you could do it yourself and probably better. There are quite a few websites with instructions for aligning the slimline dish for 99-101 & 103. It's not that hard if you aligned dishes before. If you feel up to it I would first max it out for 101 for SD. Then you have to adjust the tilt and the azimuth and elevation dither adjustments for peak on the HD bird's. If you didn't understand what I said wait it out and get a good tech to come out and set it.

Way back in 1999/2000 when we first got Dtv - we installed it all ourselves. it was pretty easy.

I just didnt know about the whole HD hookup - if that was any different/more difficult.

Apparently my "ticket" is still open with Dtv so they cant even r/s it with another tech/company! :mad: My tech is apparently G-o-d now and is the only one with the power to close that work order so they can create a new one!

you can keep calling dtv. The more you call the more they work on your issue and escalate it to the office of the president.

I have a cell phone. I paid $15 for it and I pay 10c a minute to make calls. My 6 year old has a firefly phone I paid $7 for and 10c a minute. Not much of a luxury item! ;)

Maybe thats part of it. I think you could have stopped at 'afraid to call customers', because they'll be telling them they're going to be late or not coming and the customer will be mad and yell at them. I guess its easier to just no-show or show up late and unannounced, and let the customer call someone at the mother ship and yell at them instead?

I'd like to get rid of the 'four hour window' and 'sometime on wednesday, maybe' stuff and just have them call my cell phone with their cell phone when they're 1/2 away from showing up at my house. Then I can do whatever I want with my day, if they're late or cant make it, its not that big of a deal.

I think the problem is that directv doesnt pay these guys enough to do the job, so the guys the subs hire to do the installs arent getting much either. At that price point, you're lucky if the guy knows how to install the equipment, let alone do customer engagement.

In part, perhaps its all our fault. We insist on paying low prices and getting stuff for free, and we're getting exactly what we paid for.

In part, perhaps its all our fault. We insist on paying low prices and getting stuff for free, and we're getting exactly what we paid for.

I would say partially our fault, but you know its all about profit and customer base for them. Low prices bring on customers, low payment to installers bring on more profit. Everyone is to blame.

Well I'm not OceanStateWitch for nothing!
I complained...did research...etc.

Found out original installer...b/c they didnt leave me information!
I got it r/s THROUGH dtv for July 30th that was unacceptable. So I did research and called the installer directly (reverse number lookup) and r/s for this Tuesday - boy oh boy did they give me a hard time about moving up the date!

I googled the company - Halsted Communications. Sounds like a Gem.
No offense to anyone on here that works for them!
Found a website where ppl can vent about their employer - LOTS of lawsuits. I really feel for these techs. :(

Like I said before I found out all this stuff, the guy was nice enough and tried like heck - I really feel bad...I just wanted what I paid for thats all.

I totally agree, I do call all my customers. My customers get a call from me at the beginning of their window and more calls when/if I'm running late and when I'm OTW. Had a potential angry customer today (workorder even said she was angry) that I got to at 4:30 on a 12-4 appt. I called her at 12:15, 3:00 (to let her know I was running late) and at 4:00 to tell her I was OTW. She was very pleasant while I was there (replaced two RCA IRD's), switched her outputs from coax (from standard receiver to HD TV) to composite cables. Set her remotes up for the TV's and DVD/VCR players she had, and repaired two problems with her dish (missing LNB bolt and incorrect grounding method).

I considered it a very good visit from both sides of the toolbox, so to speak, and I was out in under an hour (included customer education on the new remote).

<tooting my own horn time>
More often than not, my customers tell me I'm the most professional, proficient and knowledgeable tech they're ever had out.

Way back in 1999/2000 when we first got Dtv - we installed it all ourselves. it was pretty easy.

I just didnt know about the whole HD hookup - if that was any different/more difficult.

Apparently my "ticket" is still open with Dtv so they cant even r/s it with another tech/company! :mad: My tech is apparently G-o-d now and is the only one with the power to close that work order so they can create a new one!

Sounds like an overbooked new guy. That he left the dish and receiver without getting it activated explains a lot. Do hang on to that receiver. It may well be on your bill unactivated.

Directv can and will get another tech out there......bet the other guy has quit already.
Call 'em!

Wonder what could be so hard about your installation? Got trees? Apartment?
What?

Joe

From the original post where the installer and the OP's husband were 'yelling back and forth to each other' for hours while the installer was trying to line up the dish, that he was trying to do it without a meter and using the signal levels on the receivers on screen display to line it up.

I used to do that way back when it was just the round/oval dish. I'd run an extension cord outside, plug in a 13" tv and a plain-jane receiver to it and set that where I could see it while I tweaked the dish. I dont think that'd be as easy to do with a slimline.

Sounds like an overbooked new guy. That he left the dish and receiver without getting it activated explains a lot. Do hang on to that receiver. It may well be on your bill unactivated.

Directv can and will get another tech out there......bet the other guy has quit already.
Call 'em!

What?

Joe

Nope - no trees, no apartment. I already have DTV...he was installing the HighDef dish in the same place the old dish was. "Clear view of the southern sky" As the commercial for the Hughes Internet stated.
Wierd thing was that he did attempt with some sort of meter.
Think he was just undertrained.

Will be interesting how the install tomorrow goes...
Another attempt at 12-4 is being made.
Will keep you posted-The only down side is that I'm having my surgery tomorrow so I wont be home :( just hubby & kids. Figures they had to pick that day. I'm not being picky tho - I'm taking what they will give!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)