Another Multi Switch Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatSniper

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Here is what I want to do:

I will have 4 receivers and I would like to try and get most of them on a switch set that has multi LNBs and one spot for the motor(2 T90 setups, wife is limiting the number of dishes in the yard but said nothing about number of LNBs :) ).

From other post I have figured out how to get multi LNBs (I think up to 64) but how do you get 4 receivers to see over 8 LNBs and the motor. I know 1.1 would help and a couple receivers have it and a couple don't so I will have to use the motor setting for those.

I have checked out the web and forums but there are a select few that have mastered this and I know nothing works all the time for all receivers. I am just trying to limit spending money on parts that won't work, I have a nice collecting of parts now :)

So is there a way to do this or did my brain just go into wishful thinking mode???

Thanks

it is possible...what you need is to have all dual LNB's. You put a 3x4 (or 2x4) multiswitch on the dual LNB's. This gives you 4 outputs on one dual.

How many LNB's are we talking here? If the receiver can support 1.1, get a Digiwave 8x1 uncommitted switch. This allows you to add 4x1 switches off those ports on the 8x1 with no issues. I have a 4x1 switch off port 7 of my Digiwave 8x1 switch giving me 11 LNB's :)

If it supports only Diseqc 1.0 or 1.2 then there are issues.

Thanks Ice

Lets say 10 or more sats plus motor on the 90(I am thinking that I will need a manual switch on the motor since you don't want 2 receivers trying to move it) with ability for each receiver to see the same or different sat. So I can't loop it. I already know I will need the dual LNBs to make it work after that I am at a loss.

receivers are CS5000, Sonicview 8000HD(I don't think this has 1.1 or I haven't been able to find it, guess they didn't make this box to see more than 2 sats) and I have a Supra on the way for analog sports feeds, and will add another HD 422 receiver once I find one for a good price (700.00 is a little high).

The way I look at it everything electronic has a work around I just hope it doesn't cost a arm and a leg :) .

I need a link that explains commited and uncommited switches in the 1.1 world maybe that will help me figure out this problem.
I see Sadoun has a link for 4 receivers and 8 LNBs but it says picture coming soon. Wonder if any of the dishnetwork switches would work in 1.1??

Ice
You stated a 8x1 but those only are for one receiver right?
Would I need a 9x4 or or 9x8 and branch all the other switches (4x1 or 8x1)off that into a web of wires to the lnb's then figure out the commited and uncommited and I will be set. HAHAH I think monoprice will get some business for cables. Good news is the ceiling in my tv room isn't finished yet so I can run all cables above to a switch board and back out to the sats.

Correct the 8x1 is for one reciever but if you have 4 boxes you could use 4 of them for 4 boxes :)

Ice
I am starting to get it well not yet your answers are like a college prof giving you a little info so you think for your self :)

If each box has its own 8x1 off the 8x1 you use 4x1 like you have done on your port 7-1 7-2 7-3 7-4, then how do you tie into the LNBs if you have 4 receivers and want to see H and V.
Thanks

Thanks
Been there I Just don't know what will happen if I go from the 8x1 to a 4x1(on one or 2 ports of the 8x1 to get more then 8 sats) to a 2x4 then to the LNB if it will play nice and work?

Ice
I am starting to get it well not yet your answers are like a college prof giving you a little info so you think for your self :)

If each box has its own 8x1 off the 8x1 you use 4x1 like you have done on your port 7-1 7-2 7-3 7-4, then how do you tie into the LNBs if you have 4 receivers and want to see H and V.
Thanks

sorry...I think but sometimes its hard to type what I'm thinking.

The LNB's need to be duals. This allows you to add a 2x4 multiswitch on them for 4 outputs. If you have 4 boxes and they have Diseqc 1.1 setup get a 8x1 diseqc per box. Run the outputs of the multiswitch to the diseqc

so setup would be as such

receiver-----diseqc 8x1 port 1-----port on multiswitch---LNB
---------------diseqc 8x1 port 2-----port on another multiswitch---2nd LNB
etc

you would repeat the same thing for the other recievers...I'll try to draw something up tonite :)

Same here don't worry won't be back home until late have to do the first Turkey day thing tonight and it is snowing so it should be a fun drive. Time to play car hockey maybe fill a deer tag or two since the car seems to get them really good after dark :) .
Thanks all..

OK...here goes. These were drawn up at work between calls :D

I posted the pic with 12 LNB's to get the jist but I now see I goofed....should only be 11

-on each LNB (dual) put a 2x4 multiswitch on it. This gives 4 outputs
-run a cable from the first 4 LNB's to a 4x1 diseqc and hook that output to one of the ports on the 8x1
-run the other lines to the ports on the 8x1

repeat for the other receivers

again, this only works if your receiver has Diseqc 1.1 protocol.

The next two will work with Diseqc 1.2 protocol (setting it up as a motor)

The 2nd option is to run the LNB lines to 2 8x1 switches and combine those 2 with an ecoda 22k switch. The ecoda will pass diseqc commands. I have it this way but for 4x1 switches.

Third option is scrap the 2x4 multiswitches and get 4x4 switches. Run 2 LNB's into each of the multiswitches and hook an output from each multiswitch to a 8x1 diseqc. This gives you 16 LNB's

If your receiver does 1.1 its MUCH easier because no fussing with the motor :)

Hope this helps

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 226
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 182
  • untitled3.JPG
    untitled3.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 196
Thanks Ice your pics look a lot better then mine I just draw on a piece of scrap paper between calls;).

I will have to figure out a way to do it without breaking the bank :eek: time to make a shopping list guess it is my x mas gift to myself.

Did you get much snow we got enough to make my hour and fifteen drive just a tad over 2 1/2 hours but only 2 hours coming back, lots of driving for quick turkey meal.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks Ice your pics look a lot better then mine I just draw on a piece of scrap paper between calls;).
thanks. I do a lot of drawing up them by hand..this one just used paint program. That's the hardest thing. I know what I'm thinking but its hard sometimes to send those signals from the brain to my fingers to type :)

I will have to figure out a way to do it without breaking the bank :eek: time to make a shopping list guess it is my x mas gift to myself.
seriously....check ebay for the switches. I've been able to find people selling multiple multiswitches in auctions (2x4 & 4x4) for very inexpensive.

Did you get much snow we got enough to make my hour and fifteen drive just a tad over 2 1/2 hours but only 2 hours coming back, lots of driving for quick turkey meal.

Thanks again!!!

here in Minneapolis we have a coating...enough to make the roads (non main roads) kinda slick

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)