Another Phone Line thread

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FixrUpr

Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
NC
OK, this thread is for DirecTV installers. We all hate the fact that they make us run phone lines for free, but that isn't what this thread is about. I have heard a few tricks to get around the system and would like to verify a few of them and hear some new ones. Im sure most of us could use better responder stats, I know I could.

1. If you activate a receiver using the order id box on the receiver, and a phone line is connected, it will count as a responder right away and you will get credit for that receiver right when it activates.

2. If you activate a receiver and then initiate a self-test with a phone line installed, that receiver will count as a responder right when you do the self test because it pings the phone connection.

3. We should all know this one, but in a SWM install, you only have to have a phone line connected to the PRIMARY receiver, it can even be a standard, as long as it is the primary.

Now, I know #3 is true, but I would like to know if #1 and 2 are correct. Also, I have tried activating through the receiver using the OMS order id with a phone line connected a few times and can never get it to work, anyone have any luck activating that way? By the way, I always check phone jacks with a tester, so its not that the phone jack wasn't working or was reverse-polarity.

Also, anyone else have any other tricks for getting better responder rate(other than running home runs to the nid and leaving 25' jumpers laying accross the floor)?

Thanks

OK, this thread is for DirecTV installers. We all hate the fact that they make us run phone lines for free, but that isn't what this thread is about. I have heard a few tricks to get around the system and would like to verify a few of them and hear some new ones. Im sure most of us could use better responder stats, I know I could.

1. If you activate a receiver using the order id box on the receiver, and a phone line is connected, it will count as a responder right away and you will get credit for that receiver right when it activates.

2. If you activate a receiver and then initiate a self-test with a phone line installed, that receiver will count as a responder right when you do the self test because it pings the phone connection.

3. We should all know this one, but in a SWM install, you only have to have a phone line connected to the PRIMARY receiver, it can even be a standard, as long as it is the primary.

Now, I know #3 is true, but I would like to know if #1 and 2 are correct. Also, I have tried activating through the receiver using the OMS order id with a phone line connected a few times and can never get it to work, anyone have any luck activating that way? By the way, I always check phone jacks with a tester, so its not that the phone jack wasn't working or was reverse-polarity.

Also, anyone else have any other tricks for getting better responder rate(other than running home runs to the nid and leaving 25' jumpers laying accross the floor)?

Thanks

If it's only temp. and it sees the ringer right away, whats the problem with running the cord, if it only takes a few minutes ?

If it's only temp. and it sees the ringer right away, whats the problem with running the cord, if it only takes a few minutes ?

Because sometimes you can do the test with the phone line over AC adapters instead of running a new cable from the POTS box to the receiver, or you can do it by running a temp patch cable from a jack to the receiver.

And everything that has been added to the standard, free install is being sold to the techs as "it only takes a few minutes" but those few minutes add up over the day, and even on the job.

To the OP, I know #2 used to work when I was a tech, because that's the way I would do it.

#1 is not true anymore.It might've been a while ago.I did it for a good number of installs and it didn't work.
#2 from what i heard the ird pings 10-15 minutes after you do the test.I've been curious myself about this.

OK, thats actually good that #1 doesnt work anymore because I can never get them to activate that way. Anyone else confirm that #2 works? It sure would help especially on some of these mobil homes that have the tiny crawl spaces and the nid is on a pole with the meter base away from the house.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

I would point out a correction on #3 the box that is plug in to the phone does not have to be the primary for it to work. right now my R16 is labeled as a 2ndary and it dials out via that phone connection. So it can be any box on a swim install

OK, thats actually good that #1 doesnt work anymore because I can never get them to activate that way. Anyone else confirm that #2 works? It sure would help especially on some of these mobil homes that have the tiny crawl spaces and the nid is on a pole with the meter base away from the house.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.

I see you wouldn't make it as a Phone co. installer.....

Oh im perfectly capable of running phone lines, but Im here to install satellite systems and sometimes don't have the extra two hours to run home runs to the phone box for 3 or 4 receivers that don't have a jack near by. I wish I was a phone guy, last time I checked, they don't have to install satellite dishes while they are hooking up their phone lines. But that has been beat to death, I am just trying to see if there are any tricks to make my life a little easier

Oh im perfectly capable of running phone lines, but Im here to install satellite systems and sometimes don't have the extra two hours to run home runs to the phone box for 3 or 4 receivers that don't have a jack near by. I wish I was a phone guy, last time I checked, they don't have to install satellite dishes while they are hooking up their phone lines. But that has been beat to death, I am just trying to see if there are any tricks to make my life a little easier

Actually you'd probably make a lot more money and work less hours ..... From what I've seen you guys pretty much work from sunrise to after dark.

We are generally a 40 hour week .... usually.

fwiw, I've placed plenty of dishes, just not for the phone co. :)

The reciever does come back right away as a responder, but D* pings the reciever again anytime from 2 weeks to 30 days after installation. My HSP also counts this against my responder rate. So, if the customer decides to use your phone line for their use we still lose that responder. We have recently been told that D* and the hsp's know which accounts are cell phone and which are landline numbers. **Make sure the primary number on the account is the same as the house your are in or it might not count** (Side note- activate the account and close the job before you call D* to change phone number as the customer may have a past due balance. D* will not activate if this happens and you won't get paid for install). Also, for you to get credit for all recievers in a SWM install, the primary DOES have to have the phone connection. If not, only the reciever that is connected will respond. All D* wants to know is that all of the customer's recievers are in their house and not the neighbor's.

Hasn't D* come up with a better way of doing this yet ?
It's ridiculous that they expect you guys to run phone jks.

A std. phone jk runs $129 in the phone business industry.

So I take it that I did my installer a favor by telling him to not bother running two extra phone lines to get to my receivers? Or does that count against him somehow? I do have a landline, but my cell phone is primary and it is what is listed on the account and the boxes are networked if that matters.

So I take it that I did my installer a favor by telling him to not bother running two extra phone lines to get to my receivers? Or does that count against him somehow? I do have a landline, but my cell phone is primary and it is what is listed on the account and the boxes are networked if that matters.

If your boxes are networked, you don't need the phone jks.

As for what it does for the installer, I don't know if they gig him for that if you say you don't want them or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)