Another retrans fight. This has gotten very old

I got the scrawl again on my local ABC and NBC stations again last night. IF they don't have an DISH agreement by 6:00pm central time Friday, we lose our two stations. SUCKS that companies can own more than one station in a market . We have two companies in our area and they both do two network stations. The company that does CBS and FOX also does CW on the sub channel. So anytime there is a disagreement we face potential blackouts. IF I lose my locals, I will "move" back to Houston.

No, this is a dispute with a a company that happens to own some NBC stations. They have no say in that type of matter, only NBC does.
Oh that's good. Just seems like since they own the channel and are working the contract, they have some control over the terms (and I doubt they are very happy with commercial hopping).

Oh that's good. Just seems like since they own the channel and are working the contract, they have some control over the terms (and I doubt they are very happy with commercial hopping).
Maybe in their own home areas, and channels they own, but they have more than just NBC.

I got the scrawl again on my local ABC and NBC stations again last night. IF they don't have an DISH agreement by 6:00pm central time Friday, we lose our two stations. SUCKS that companies can own more than one station in a market . We have two companies in our area and they both do two network stations. The company that does CBS and FOX also does CW on the sub channel. So anytime there is a disagreement we face potential blackouts. IF I lose my locals, I will "move" back to Houston.
Wow that does suck.

I have a media PC with 8 OTA tuners (4 internal and 4 HD Homerun) ready to take over if they pull the trigger. This just happens WAY too often. I assume we could also do some limited recording with the Hopper OTA tuner (probably have to be manual timers w/o a program guide -> Yuk).

Seems like the 1 week extension implies they are talking and will probably get a contract. There's also not much to record Fri/Sat so a short turn-off wouldn't be too painful.

Just in case, I took screenshots of my upcoming timers for the next week so I could recreate the timers on the PC (if necessary).

(and I doubt they are very happy with commercial hopping).
The commercial hopping only occurs during primetime hours, which is predominantly national advertisers who pay NBC, not the local channel.

Besides, Nielsen only tells the networks and the advertisers how many people watched a show. They don't know if you skipped a commercial. If 5 million people watched a show, advertising dollars are based on that, not "5 million watched, 1/2 a million skipped commercials, so only pay for 4-1/2 million viewers".

The commercial hopping only occurs during primetime hours, which is predominantly national advertisers who pay NBC, not the local channel.

Besides, Nielsen only tells the networks and the advertisers how many people watched a show. They don't know if you skipped a commercial. If 5 million people watched a show, advertising dollars are based on that, not "5 million watched, 1/2 a million skipped commercials, so only pay for 4-1/2 million viewers".
I was actually shocked to see this in my marketing class last night, but Nielsen also gives how long a tv is watching a channel. I don't know how this is possible, as they use Nielsen Homes, but according to the book, it is.

How current is that Nielsen info? Years ago, if I'm not mistaken, they had a "box" that tracked stuff like that (vs the hand-written record keeping method). I've no idea how they operate today.

I believe it said 2011. I'll have to pull it up and check it out. Might be 2012. But it listed shows newer than that. I'll check it out and get back to you later. I officially have no school work for the day and plan on leaving it all alone.

Just watched blacklist which of course is wcnc nbc 36 in Charlotte and the crawl banner said 7 pm tonight 10/9... Guess we will find out when i get home

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)