Another S-10 hardware problem found

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
This one was discovered by "register1957" on a U.K. message board. Seems the power supply IC regulator part # SD 4841 is only rated for 10 watts. Barely enough to run the receiver let alone any external motors or switches. This might be why some people have had re-boots, especially when moving a motor. Other S-10 are using a #SD4844 that specs out at 16 watts, may be why some users say "whats the big deal, mine works fine". It is not known if changing out this IC will boost the power but a few guys want to try. Trouble is no one has found a source for the SD4844. If any of you resourceful people can find where these (or equivalent) can be purchased please post here. This might get some of these S-10s going that the thermistor didn't fix.

DSC02260.jpg

We need to do something similar that you did with the Termistor is to get an engineer from a US IC company who can do a cross reference with a local part.

I was on the phone with Digi-Key this morning. He does not have the part or a substitute that he could find. Only the specs of both original parts are available. He did tell me it was manufactured by Silan Microelectronics.

Hangzhou Silan Microelectronics Co, LTD does not list those parts on a search on their site. ?????
RT

Yea, I even sent an e-mail to a Distributor in India. No word back yet as it is middle of the night there.
Could use some help from you guys on this one. Going to take some creative Googling.

my s10 has the newer one (sd4844)
power supply was made 09-2011
It may just be an s9 thing I believe register1957 had.

demo

a demo board pdf,in this case just used for 12v

Attachments

• The Demo Model of SD4844P?12V1.5A)20091126030028633948.pdf
    416.4 KB · Views: 956
my s10 has the newer one (sd4844)
power supply was made 09-2011
It may just be an s9 thing I believe register1957 had.

Well you should be ok with a SD4844.
The S-9 uses a much larger device mounted on a heat sink. The SD 4841 is only found in SOME versions of the S-10.

DSCF0409.jpg

copy1.jpg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure this is what is wrong with my box. Any time you try to drive the motor you can hear it try to move then the box completely shuts off and reboots. Also on dvb-s2 channels it will shut down which I would imagine would be caused by more hardware being required to show dvb-s2 signals. I will probably take my box apart tomorrow to see which chip I have.

I was on the phone with Digi-Key this morning. He does not have the part or a substitute that he could find. Only the specs of both original parts are available. He did tell me it was manufactured by Silan Microelectronics.

I do like to deal with Digi-Key. They generally have what you need, but sometimes no one has it.

I wish Digi-Key would be a sponsor here, it would be good for both them and us.

RADAR

i honestly regret buying an openbox s10....junk in my opinion. i thought my pansat 9200's had issues. Pansat is a cadillac compared to the opencrap.

i am very satisfied with my solomend/s9. yes, i have had issues with the power supply, electrolytics going out, but the operation is very good. i do have the azbox but the solomend is so much easier to operate and so much faster on the scans. but i have the dsr200c and it works fine except it doesn't do dvb-s2 so i am looking forward to getting the microhd. charlie

it doesn't really surprise me that these receivers have problems when you consider the price....the old phrase comes to mind "you get what you pay for"....if these receivers are being sold for a hundred bucks or a bit more that means they cost about 25 or 30 bucks to mass produce....what kind of quality can we expect for that money?

Another Openbox unhappy customer who cant deal that when Openbox's were released to the market they made the FTA hobbie a much more interesting one!! No matter price or where is made the Openbox's is the most non 4:2:2 reliable, friendly user, handy etc etc out there. I owned 2 Solomend for more than 2 years, 2 S9 for a year and half and recently a S10 all 5 without any big issues at all. I owned in the past multiple brands (Coolsats, Pansats, Viewsats, Neusat, Captivework etc etc). Once I found the firm that was suitable for my needs they work great!!! All others similar boxes (by the way most of them are made in China and or Korea) cost 2 or 3 times more. You want to go 4:2:2 then you really need to pay for. Nobody will guaranted that those higher brands ($) were completely/ partial built in those mentioned places. Besides that, read on their forums and you will see the noumerous bug that have being corrected thru the years and still new firms are released. So, why complaint?? I got more than I pay for and happy with every Penny I spend!!!

it doesn't really surprise me that these receivers have problems when you consider the price....what kind of quality can we expect for that money?

Mikey, I started this thread to help out people that own these boxes. What part of your OpenBox bashing contributes to this?

How about using that keyboard of yours to locate a place we can buy the SD4844 so a few people can fix their S-10.

Does anyone work for a company that specs and/ or builds electronics? If I was still at The Boeing company, I could probably find an engr. that could locate a supplier? But I retired and many of my friends have also. Even my broadcast engrs friends have retired!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Are there any India Channels FTA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)