Another successful Voom deinstall!

dclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Well, to recap, I never got locals and so canceled within the 30 days to get my $ back.
The installer didn't show up until 6:45pm tonight. I was getting peeved as I was hungry and wanting to head out to my local mexican food place for shrimp fajitas.
He came, took the book and attennas, asked me about my problems with voom. He let me keep all the cables, even the DVI cable (yippee!). When he installed, he did a great job (at no extra cost) of running coax under my house. I can use it for something later in the future.
All in all , I though VOOM was a diasppointment. Picture quality varied, no locals, bugginess, etc. However, in my case, the install was done quite well, and the extra cable runs and connectors I have been left with are a plus.
My installer said he has installed 10 systems and deinstalled 8.He has gotten more install orders recently, but alsot thinks a lot more will go back unless they improve. He also felt that although VOOm should be blamed for a lot of the problems, 50% of the blame should be given to Motorola. He thought that the VOOM box is a piece of krap. For those who are on the fence about getting VOOM, for me, it wasn't a nightmare, just a little irritating. I'd suggest waiting a little for them to get there act together. I'll also post when I get my refund for the equipment. If I don't get it, I'll scream and rant about it here. If I do get it within a month, I post about it and praise them (gotta be fair!). Lastily, I remarked to the installer that I could always try them again in a year. My wife hated the lack of sd channels, my kids dislike lack of a DVR. If these things were to be rectified, then yeah, I could see giving them another shot a year from now. Goodluck to all....

dclark said:
Well, to recap, I never got locals and so canceled within the 30 days to get my $ back.
The installer didn't show up until 6:45pm tonight. I was getting peeved as I was hungry and wanting to head out to my local mexican food place for shrimp fajitas.
He came, took the book and attennas, asked me about my problems with voom. He let me keep all the cables, even the DVI cable (yippee!). When he installed, he did a great job (at no extra cost) of running coax under my house. I can use it for something later in the future.
All in all , I though VOOM was a diasppointment. Picture quality varied, no locals, bugginess, etc. However, in my case, the install was done quite well, and the extra cable runs and connectors I have been left with are a plus.
My installer said he has installed 10 systems and deinstalled 8.He has gotten more install orders recently, but alsot thinks a lot more will go back unless they improve. He also felt that although VOOm should be blamed for a lot of the problems, 50% of the blame should be given to Motorola. He thought that the VOOM box is a piece of krap. For those who are on the fence about getting VOOM, for me, it wasn't a nightmare, just a little irritating. I'd suggest waiting a little for them to get there act together. I'll also post when I get my refund for the equipment. If I don't get it, I'll scream and rant about it here. If I do get it within a month, I post about it and praise them (gotta be fair!). Lastily, I remarked to the installer that I could always try them again in a year. My wife hated the lack of sd channels, my kids dislike lack of a DVR. If these things were to be rectified, then yeah, I could see giving them another shot a year from now. Goodluck to all....

I would have to agree that the STB is a piece of crap!

dclark said:
My installer said he has installed 10 systems and deinstalled 8.....

Thats probably an exageration and a bit unbeleivable, but even if per chance it's a 50% ratio then V* is in big trouble. If a big part of their deinstalls is due to the finicky STB and/or PG interface, they better do something mighty quick to stop the bleeding.

Well, I am still on the fence, and I will stay on the fence. I appreciate all the reports of good and bad service and good and bad installs. But I don't have enough confidence yet to sign up.

The installer said that the over riding reason for people cancelling was the lack of of locals. Translation- had we been able to recieve the locals that we should be getting, VOOM, rather than spending$3200 to hook and dehook us, would be recieving $320+ a month from us for continuing to subscribe. That's one hell of an extremeIt all adds up and that's why VOOM is churning through cash.
For the fence sitter, assuming that I get my $ back, I'll have been out not nary a penny and will have recieved free HD programming for 27 days.

I still don't understand why Motorola isn't shipping out receivers to Installs, Inc. with the latest software preinstalled.

There must be some percentage of customers that make up their mind to cancel on the spot, or within the first 2-3 days, after using the STB. Reports on other forums indicate that it can take 2-3 days for a new subscriber to get the latest software.

Ken F said:
I still don't understand why Motorola isn't shipping out receivers to Installs, Inc. with the latest software preinstalled.
Mine had the latest software. there was no 45 minute wait period. I have no problems with my boxes. The previous posters, Jay and the initial complaintant calling the only box I know of that is Mpeg4 capable a "piece of crap" is really flaunting their ignorance. The "crap" lies in the software programming which is continually improving. My hughes box is a POS. hot enough to fry an egg on, no DVI output, no button to select 1080i,720p etc. All of the outputs are active on the moto box at the same time, amazing. IT runs cooler than a dvd player. It even has USB for expansion. You people need to stop whining and wake up.

Mr. Biggles said:
Thats probably an exageration and a bit unbeleivable, but even if per chance it's a 50% ratio then V* is in big trouble. If a big part of their deinstalls is due to the finicky STB and/or PG interface, they better do something mighty quick to stop the bleeding.
does anyone have subsciber numbers? I mean something other than someone on a thread telling you that tehy heard an installer say something? LMAO. Shouldnt actual "facts" be considered before we make these kinds of statements? I mean shouldnt it be based on more than "well ive heard many horror stories....","well my installer said.."

vurbano said:
Mine had the latest software. there was no 45 minute wait period. I have no problems with my boxes. The previous posters, Jay and the initial complaintant calling the only box I know of that is Mpeg4 capable a "piece of crap" is really flaunting their ignorance. The "crap" lies in the software programming which is continually improving. My hughes box is a POS. hot enough to fry an egg on, no DVI output, no button to select 1080i,720p etc. All of the outputs are active on the moto box at the same time, amazing. IT runs cooler than a dvd player. It even has USB for expansion. You people need to stop whining and wake up.

vurbano, if walks like a duck...the STB, while it may be advanced with mpeg4 capability, is still a piece of crap. My point is that it is way too sensitive, gets all screwey when just trying to use the thing some times. The box can't even handle flipping channels quickly. I have never used another stb *EVER* that has been this buggy.

I disagree it is 99 % the Moto box...MY Sammy 160 weighs twice as much and has not had this much trouble....Almost all cable companies use this box because it is cheap and works ok for sd channels...But Voom is a HD company and needs to rethink about a better box to handle HD ......I am tried of rebooting every time we change channels.....It is so senitive...the PG is outdated like old cable guide and not enough info listed about the movie and what actors are in it etc....If mpeg 4 is better than add it ........If the DVR is anything like this box I think it will turn alot of people off...0 problems with my Tivo...I just hope they improve the box and remote to handle hometheater recievers , dvd, tv, and vcr like my Sammy 160.....My 2 cents...HD=Voom

not nof nothing, but since the last software update, the receiver has been pretty much flawless, except for no audio sometimes when flipping channels. On the other hand using my E* 6000 is like going back , the thing is unbelievably slow, there is no picture while browsing. Looking at all your posts Gene, it seems like you expect too much sometimes, nothing is ever perfect, I agree with you that the PQ has to improve, but thats only thing VOOM has to work on. If you want to try a buggy receiver try the dish 921 or 811, then you will realize what buggy is, as far D* i cant comment because i never had it.

Strange, and cablevision, VOOMS parent uses Scientific atlanta and sony and MOT for it's IO-digital HD service..see the light and switch the STB! unless this is the only mpeg-4 compatable one out?

neo0285 said:
not nof nothing, but since the last software update, the receiver has been pretty much flawless, except for no audio sometimes when flipping channels. On the other hand using my E* 6000 is like going back , the thing is unbelievably slow, there is no picture while browsing. Looking at all your posts Gene, it seems like you expect too much sometimes, nothing is ever perfect, I agree with you that the PQ has to improve, but thats only thing VOOM has to work on. If you want to try a buggy receiver try the dish 921 or 811, then you will realize what buggy is, as far D* i cant comment because i never had it.

expecting too much??? LOL, get real! I am only expecting the box to function *properly*! Changing channels quickly should be expected of an STB! Especially one that was "ahead of the game", and "designed with future technology, like Mpeg4 ", yet it can't even handle normal channel surfing! D*'s boxes aren't perfect either, but they are much more well designed than this thing. Besides I'm not the only one complainig about this buggy box. By the way My posts that are negative are a good thing actually, as VOOM is listening! IF you don't say anything, they won't fix it! You should be thanking me for being a big voice about this stuff. It will only help VOOM in the long run.

pdqbobe said:
I disagree it is 99 % the Moto box...MY Sammy 160 weighs twice as much and has not had this much trouble....Almost all cable companies use this box because it is cheap and works ok for sd channels...But Voom is a HD company and needs to rethink about a better box to handle HD ......I am tried of rebooting every time we change channels.....It is so senitive...the PG is outdated like old cable guide and not enough info listed about the movie and what actors are in it etc....If mpeg 4 is better than add it ........If the DVR is anything like this box I think it will turn alot of people off...0 problems with my Tivo...I just hope they improve the box and remote to handle hometheater recievers , dvd, tv, and vcr like my Sammy 160.....My 2 cents...HD=Voom
Cox cable uses a different moto box. check your facts before posting

GeneWildershair said:
vurbano, if walks like a duck...the STB, while it may be advanced with mpeg4 capability, is still a piece of crap. My point is that it is way too sensitive, gets all screwey when just trying to use the thing some times. The box can't even handle flipping channels quickly. I have never used another stb *EVER* that has been this buggy.
your box is a piece of crap mine is fine. trade your duck in

neo0285 said:
Amen to that. finally someone that doesnt need a pacifier as well as a new box.

vurbano said:
Amen to that. finally someone that doesnt need a pacifier as well as a new box.

read my reply to that post your commenting on vurbano. You belive that is expecting too much? Does you stb work fine when flipping thru the channels fast? go from say 100 all the way to 201 quickly then leave it there, does it not get all messed up? It does for me. I can do this with the Samsung TS160 with D*, and it works fine.

I did get the update. It did help surfing. However, it made other things worse.
SOmetimes, you would have to slect the same channel more than once to not get a "channel unavailable" message. I got glitches and reduced pq.

Overall, I' liked it better before the "update". The picture was consistently better. Yeah, the surfing was slow, but how often do you channel channels anyhow?

I could care less about the USB port or MPEG 4- I only care about how it works NOW, not promised future features.

I still have a first generation Direct box. I paid $900 for the higher grade model because it came with an extra port which, they promised, could be used to upgrade it to HDTV! Haha!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)