Another turbo 8psk card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

merkin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2009
illinois
Hey guys a Dish381 just fell in my lap and I want to make use of it.

There is a picture attached. It doesnt take a genius to realize connecting lnb controller, eeprom, and fx2lp to the i2c bus and the fx2lp also to the mpeg bus. Its all documented at cypress here Implementing an 8 - Bit Parallel MPEG2 - TS Interface Using Slave FIFO Mode in FX2LP - AN58069 - Cypress Semiconductor and a real world example here FX2LP DMB - T/H TV Dongle - Cypress Semiconductor

I was aware of Genpix and DVBTech, but did not realize the developer of TSReader also made turbo 8psk product.

After searching some satguys archives, I found references to a USB turbo 8psk adapter made by others. I have never owned any of the three USB products, but I am not surprised they also use the fx2lp.

I am at a crossroad here. The second paragraph in this post sums it up best. http://www.satelliteguys.us/57617-8psk-usb-adapter-pcs-2.html#post497995

If I have to analyze the I2C bus then so be it, but I thought I would ask here if these BCM4500 datasheets have since become public?

Also if anyone can sum up other DIY 8psk>USB adapters mentioned here and on other forums besides dvbtech and genpix products please do.

Attachments

• 100_0140.JPG
    100_0140.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 655
turbo 8psk only works on dis hnet /ecko* hd. Or is there some other use I missed?

Re-engineering their boxes I think is a big no-no.... Even if it is to be used on unencrypted signal. I think thats a DCMA deally-jobber. (Best legislation money can buy)

Last edited:
Well no one seems worried about the DCMA anymore on this site, they are permitting the 4DTV people to have open discussions about re-engineering and hacking into and downloading the software in those recievers to regain the satellite maps that are no longer being sent. I do not see where this is any different than what they are doing, I was told as long as its for non encrypted reception it is ok.

Charlie Ergren vs. Motorola tech they are abandoning. Charlie grinds up and snorts copies of the DCMA. Motorola is letting those go like they gave up on 8-track. Allowing hobbyists to play with them keeps them out of a landfill. The "Dishy" stuff is still current. Charlie doesn't even need to prove intent, just capability. I would avoid anything to do with Turbo.

Last edited:
u can flah a reciever if u own it for fta,the card however is the property of dn... mess with it & u might get in that bad area... turbo is just another way to send a signal, if they dont want u to see their signal they need encryption on it (dont forget to hit the button charlie)

here's some info...
IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a leading provider of silicon solutions enabling broadband communications, today announced that EchoStar Communications Corp. (Nasdaq: DISH) is using Broadcom's 8PSK (Phase Shift Keying) turbo code technology across EchoStar's newest line of DISH Network™ satellite TV receivers, including the DISH 111, DISH 311, DISH 322, Dish Player-DVR 522, DISH 811 and Dish Player-DVR 921 products.
Broadcom's 8PSK turbo code is an advanced modulation and coding technology that increases information throughput by 35 percent in a given bandwidth or radio frequency link with no additional power requirements. This capability allows EchoStar's DISH Network to provide more programming services to subscribers using their current dish antennas. With the help of Broadcom® turbo code technology in DISH Network's new line of satellite set-top boxes, DISH Network hopes to expand the wide variety of available video and audio programming to include local stations for additional geographic areas, international programming and bandwidth-hungry, high-definition TV programming.
"Our customers want access to more channels and are increasingly requesting targeted programming and HDTV channels," said Mark Jackson, Senior Vice President of EchoStar Technologies Corporation. "Broadcom's turbo code technology enables us to deploy a field-proven solution meeting the technical performance that our service offering requires. We can provide our customers expanded services while continuing to provide them the variety and premium quality channels they have come to expect from DISH Network."
"The fact that EchoStar, one of the leading DBS service providers in the U.S, has begun to use our technology across its satellite receiver product line is a clear indication of Broadcom's ability to bring advanced technology solutions to the cost-conscious consumer electronics market," said Daniel A. Marotta, Vice President of Broadcom's Broadband Communications Group. "We've invested over 3 years of effort working with EchoStar to take our 8PSK turbo code solution from the initial specification to a rigorously tested production ready product. It is satisfying to see our solution going into volume deployments today which allow EchoStar to provide even more services to their DISH Network customers."
Product Features
The BCM4500 is a highly integrated, all-digital satellite receiver that supports BPSK, QPSK, and 8PSK modulation, operating with both advanced modulation satellite systems and legacy QPSK systems. The advanced modulation turbo-code forward error correction (FEC) decoder delivers extremely high performance, approaching theoretical capacity limits, with no requirement for external RAM. This versatile receiver provides full variable rate operation from 1-30 Mbaud, providing multiple operating points for optimal system deployment. Other features include an integrated microcontroller for configuration, acquisition and performance monitoring, and a host interface that operates via a high-level application programmers' interface to reduce host software development time and simplify system integration.
The BCM3440 Direct Conversion Satellite Tuner delivers superior performance for the direct broadcast satellite market, and offers all the advantages of standard logic CMOS process. The fact that the BCM3440 is fabricated in CMOS technology is significant because it is a widely available, cost-effective technology and provides a path for integration with other Broadcom satellite products.
The BCM4500/BCM3440 chipset is available and is priced at $20 for volume quantities. The BCM3440 is packaged in a 48-pin TQFP, while the BCM4500 is offered in a 128-pin MQFP. The BCM94500 Advanced Modulation reference design, which integrates the chipset, is available today for system evaluation, test and design.
About Broadcom
Broadcom Corporation is a leading provider of highly integrated silicon solutions that enable broadband communications and networking of voice, video and data services. Using proprietary technologies and advanced design methodologies, Broadcom designs, develops and supplies complete system-on-a- chip solutions and related hardware and software applications for every major broadband communications market. Our diverse product portfolio includes solutions for digital cable and satellite set-top boxes; cable and DSL modems and residential gateways; high-speed transmission and switching for local, metropolitan, wide area and storage networking; home and wireless networking; cellular and terrestrial wireless communications; Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) gateway and telephony systems; broadband network processors; and SystemI/O™ server solutions. These technologies and products support our core mission: Connecting everything®.
Broadcom is headquartered in Irvine, Calif., and may be contacted at 1-949-450-8700 or at Broadcom.com - Home.
Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995:
All statements included or incorporated by reference in this release, other than statements or characterizations of historical fact, are forward- looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations, estimates and projections about our industry, management's beliefs, and certain assumptions made by us, all of which are subject to change. Forward-looking statements can often be identified by words such as "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "predicts," "believes," "seeks," "estimates," "may," "will," "should," "would," "could," "potential," "continue," similar expressions, and variations or negatives of these words. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future results and are subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions that could cause our actual results to differ materially and adversely from those expressed in any forward-looking statement.
Important factors that may cause such a difference for Broadcom in connection with the BCM3440, BCM4500 and BCM94500 products include, but are not limited to, general economic and political conditions and specific conditions in the markets we address, including the continuing significant economic slowdown and volatility in the technology sector and semiconductor industry, trends in the broadband communications markets in various geographic regions, and possible disruption in commercial activities related to terrorist activity or armed conflict in the United States and other locations; the rate at which our present and future customers and end-users adopt Broadcom's technologies and products in the markets for satellite set-top box applications; delays in the adoption and acceptance of industry standards in those markets; competitive pressures and other factors such as the qualification, availability and pricing of competing products and technologies and the resulting effects on sales and pricing of our products; our ability to retain and hire key executives, technical personnel and other employees in the numbers, with the capabilities, and at the compensation levels needed to implement our business and product plans; the availability and pricing of third party semiconductor foundry and assembly capacity and raw materials; fluctuations in the manufacturing yields of our third party semiconductor foundries and other problems or delays in the fabrication, assembly, testing or delivery of our products; the risks of producing products with new suppliers and at new fabrication and assembly facilities; the timing, rescheduling or cancellation of significant customer orders and our ability, as well as the availability of our customers, to manage inventory; the loss of a key customer; our ability to specify, develop or acquire, complete, introduce, market and transition to volume production new products and technologies in a timely manner; the timing of customer-industry qualification and certification of our products and the risks of non-qualification or non- certification; the volume of our product sales and pricing concessions on volume sales; the effects of new and emerging technologies; changes in our product or customer mix; intellectual property disputes and customer indemnification claims and other types of litigation risk; problems or delays that we may face in shifting our products to smaller geometry process technologies and in achieving higher levels of design integration; the quality of our products and any remediation costs; the effectiveness of our expense and product cost control and reduction efforts; the risks and uncertainties associated with our international operations, particularly in light of recent events; the effects of natural disasters, public health emergencies, international conflicts and other events beyond our control; the level of orders received that can be shipped in a fiscal quarter; and other factors.
Our Annual Report on Form 10-K, subsequent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, recent Current Reports on Form 8-K, and other Securities and Exchange Commission filings discuss the foregoing risks as well as other important risk factors that could contribute to such differences or otherwise affect our business, results of operations and financial condition. The forward-looking statements in this release speak only as of this date. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statement for any reason.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and SystemI/O™ are trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. EchoStar® and DISH Network™ are trademarks of EchoStar Communications Corporation. All other trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.

Mods delete this thread at will, even though this road has been traveled its not even worth the kilobytes of space. What hypocrisy.
Search the archives.
Three other members have shared their projects using 8psk module and the FX2LP for USB support. This is no dfferent.
If your goal to troll and play satelliteguys police thats your loss.
Plus it infers you dont think the mods are doing their job correctly.
If you want to discuss DMCA then make a new thread. And then ask Apple why we can legally jailbreak our iphones? (pssst its because they are OURS)

Thats the last I will say here. If someone is interested in the completed project let me know.

from what I read Broadcom makes the BCM3440 tuner module that does turbo 8psk. It also has other modes that Disnet does not use. So I would say go ahead with your project. All I was getting at was Disnet was seizing Eye-Patch vendor's computers and going after end users unlucky enough to be on the vendors hard drive. Legal use or not. In the litigation Disnet claimed that those devices were made only to illegally decode their signal. I apologize for mucking up your thread. I'm not trying to be a cop. I was hoping to help. I'm done

Last edited:
Many of the sample receivers available for testing and production by manufacturers have support for unencrypted turbo 8psk. Turbo 8psk is only a modulation scheme and there is nothing illegal with receiving and privately viewing or listening to unencrypted programming (unless a law has been passed to restrict it.... I.E. listening to cell calls). While a court filing in the Pansat lawsuit listed the presence of turbo 8psk decoding in a receiver as an indication for intent for theft of service as they claim that there is no legit reason to include turbo 8psk, it was the firmware containing proprietary Dish Network code enabling decryption of encrypted content which decided the case.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)