Another VS2000 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

azebra

Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
USA
Hello,
After a brief thunderstorm yesterday I lost video [OSD gone also] on my Viewsat, all other functions work...still have audio. After talking to Viewsat tech., they said to send it in for non-warranty repair [$70 minimum]....when I include shipping with that, I'm getting pretty close to a new receiver price.
Without the schematics I'm lost trying to track down the problem and I haven't been able to locate them on the net.....anywhere. So I thought I'd inquire here....got schematics or suggestions?

Thanks,

Did you try reloading the factory software from viewsatusa.com? Also, have you unplugged the receiver, then unplugged your satellite-in cable, then powering up? Sometimes if lnbf goes bad, or possibly a switch in the line goes, will cause receiver to act strangely.

If you can't get it going I would toss it. Ebay is full of good deals on SD boxes right now. Not worth getting VS to fix it.

Did you try reloading the factory software from viewsatusa.com? Also, have you unplugged the receiver, then unplugged your satellite-in cable, then powering up? Sometimes if lnbf goes bad, or possibly a switch in the line goes, will cause receiver to act strangely.

Tried all that.......I can only assume the factory software loaded, Since I don't have the OSD to look at I was going by memory with the remote. I noticed the receiver is now showing "noCH" instead of my G19 channels, so I think it's safe to say the new install had no effect on my problem.

If you can't get it going I would toss it. Ebay is full of good deals on SD boxes right now. Not worth getting VS to fix it.

SD? I'm not up to date on what's the best for the money out there, all I know is everyone seems to be making Ku receivers these days.

If you have another LNBF try it and see if you can get signals.

I dismissed the lnbf as the problem since I was receiving audio on all the G19 channels....I do have a meter that will show signal strength, but even with a good signal it still wouldn't fix the missing OSD.

Have to agree here. SD receivers, (or SD ANYTHING) are like VCRs now:
throw-away items that are usually not worth fixing. Take the money you would have spent, put a little more with it, and you can get a nice HD box! :)

When viewsat says noCH it usually means it has lost its channel memory. If you can't get it going again with a reset, or unplug, it's prob toast, like the others have said. Auctionsites will be full of cheap receivers for awhile, find a diff box like Coolsat 5000/6000-they have more sensitive tuners in them anyway.

I think tossing it might be a bit extreme, but yeah, set it aside and get you a new toy. Your CFO cant argue the need to allocate fund to replace it......or can she? See, you should have sent her those 'Just Because' flowers.....lol
With all the info that is and will be released on these legacy boxes, I wouldnt be surprized to see more tech data on some of them find it's way to the 'net. If you are a tinkerer, a successful resurection might just be a released/leaked schematic away.
If you had sent the big arrangement and the box 'o chocolates, you might could have upgraded to an AZ box.
And who says investing doesnt pay:cool:......lol

Your right, time to set it aside and thank everyone who tried to help [Thanks Ya-All]. The CFO is currently planning a vacation for us, so i'll have to wait a few weeks before I embezzle any funds<grin>. This will give me some time review what I want and what I need....heck, might even cut down a few trees and put the bud back in service.

Your right, time to set it aside and thank everyone who tried to help [Thanks Ya-All]. The CFO is currently planning a vacation for us, so i'll have to wait a few weeks before I embezzle any funds<grin>. This will give me some time review what I want and what I need....heck, might even cut down a few trees and put the bud back in service.
Now that sounds like a plan!:up:up
I'm not a big fan of wholesale deforestation, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do!
Embezzle?.....Naaaa, it's called short term reallocation of capital resources to minimize long term expenditures, or at least that my plea if I ever get caught!
Then I plan to submit as exhibit a, b and c my daughter's Comcast bill, my brother's Dishnet bill, and my expenditure balance sheet. Even the most pennywise CFO cant argue with the math. I expect a speedy dismissal.....
I just might countersue for extracirricular favors and compensation due to pain, suffering and mental anguish, but I've never won that case in the passed..........lol

"short term reallocation of capital resources to minimize long term expenditures"

Excellent!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA equipment store(s) in the Bay Area

g10r vs. g18

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts