Antenna Array Building & Signal Measuring?

thauge

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 19, 2014
Indianola, IA
Ok, I'm new to SAT stuff entirely, but I do know a thing or two about radio communications, but most of that falls into what you can do with it and not how it all works. Background: I worked EMS/Fire for a decade before changing to IT (better pay, but I've always been a computer geek anyway), so I've worked around different radio systems and signaling a decent amount. So, I pulled the plug on cable when I realized that I was typically streaming everything anyway. Since then, I've been working on and building/tweaking a antenna for my TV (I love tech and have no life) and am in need of advice on antenna configurations. Right now, I'm trying to find a signal meter (or another method) to measure the signal I'm getting from my array and/or individual components without breaking the bank. This isn't a true from scratch homebrew, just combining a couple purchased antennas on a custom mast... for now. ;) Also, any other tips or experience on antenna/array building would also be appreciated.

Setup Description:

2 Antennas Direct ClearStream 2V (VHF/UHF) mounted side-by-side on a custom mast head with the VHF dipole units centered just above and below the UHF reflectors. Essentially, it's 4 separate antennas (2 VHF dipoles and 2 UHF double loops) sitting on a mast head attached to a rotor. I know this is completely overkill for where I live, but hey, it's fun!

I have a Sencore SLM-1456CM, which can be had on eBay used at decent prices. (Mine was less than $600 shipped, others have done better than me.)

- Trip

Using zip code 50125 on www.tvfool.com you are definitely doing overkill you don't need a rotor virtually all receivable channels are 359 to 2 degrees from the zip code. The distance is 16-33 miles.

I like to have options. ;) The main reason for a rotor is that I live in a second floor south facing apartment, and my antenna is on my deck (no LOS north). I depend heavily on signal bouncing off buildings to my south and some channels are better pointing in different directions. The managers are extremely accommodating, but I doubt I can mount a mast on top of the building. Besides, I've really started getting into electronics hardware and RF transmission, so this is more of a hobby project than a true necessity.

The finished product. Lol. I was able to pick up a UHF Iowa Public Television station (KHIN) roughly 110 miles away a couple times. Not that I need that station since locally it is VHF on channel 11, but still pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_20140626_204640_520.jpg
    IMG_20140626_204640_520.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 220
Have you checked your TV to see if it has a signal strength meter? Most do, hidden somewhere in the menu options.

With digital signals, be aware that when turning your rotor, you'll see a delayed response on the signal strength meter, so make small incremental changes, and then wait a few seconds to see the results.

Your antenna set up seems to be working well if you're occasionally receiving a station 110 miles away.

Larry
SF

Picking up "skip" from 110 miles away is more related to signal tunneling (concentration by atmospheric conditions ) that the quality of your antenna - especially on UHF.

In many instances skip is receivable on rabbit ears as well as an outdoor antenna.

Oh yeah, I know it's skip for that tower. Might be different if I had an elevated LOS on it, but I must adapt with apartment life for the moment. Sadly, I get the best signal when I point it almost due south, almost 180 degrees from where the towers are. For now, I tend to get most stuff pretty good at any time. Still have some issues with VHF depending on the weather. Not sure of the signal gain as of yet. I haven't gotten a signal meter yet, and if my TV has one, I haven't found it. If I snag one of the job positions all the IT recruiters have been beating on my door with, I should be able to get another house and that means a nice antenna tower. :) Speaking of impressive atmospheric skip, back when I was dispatching a rotor-wing air ambulance, I once picked up a ground ambulance calling for Ft. Leonard Wood hospital in MO. Pretty impressive for a what was probably an 4-8 watt VHF mobile unit.

Several of my friends have expressed interest in switching to antenna as well, and a couple of them want to try out an Antennacraft HD1850 on a rotor. I'd be interested to see what all it would pick up consistently. Who knows, maybe someday I'll have the room/spare cash for a small tower and put up a Wade parabolic on it for giggles.

I have a Sencore SLM-1456CM, which can be had on eBay used at decent prices. (Mine was less than $600 shipped, others have done better than me.)

- Trip
Before I get a $600 signal analyzer, I need a Fluke MicroScanner² Cable Verifier and IntelliTone Pro Probe first. I can use that to generate money either at work or on a side job or two. I'm suprised Fluke doesn't make a signal meter/analyzer. Maybe I need to read up on the capabilities of some of their more pricey gear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)