Antenna height imperative?

hoophead

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Wisconsin
I live in Watertown, WI and have a Winegard HD 9095P UHF Yagi style antenna on a 5ft(?) mast, whatever came with it.
It is aimed at 100 degrees toward Milwaukee which is about 40mi or so away easterly.
There are normal times when I lose the signal for no apparent reason.

Could it be I need a longer mast, maybe that makes a difference??

OK, looked at and read the referred to post and you are saying go to a longer mast? If so, what size are we talking about??
It is now sitting on the peak of a bungalow roof.

With TV antennas the general rule is higher is better. That is not always true but generally it works. As Iceberg said try a 10 foot mast if that dosen't work add your 5 foot mast to give you 15 ft, beyond that you will definitely need guy wires to support the masting even at 15 ft. you may need to guy the mast for support in winds.

With TV antennas the general rule is higher is better. That is not always true but generally it works. As Iceberg said try a 10 foot mast if that dosen't work add your 5 foot mast to give you 15 ft, beyond that you will definitely need guy wires to support the masting even at 15 ft. you may need to guy the mast for support in winds.
I don't want to spend much on a new mast. What store would you all suggest for a cheap price? Not suggested to use a PVC, like for plumbing, due to wind??

I don't want to spend much on a new mast. What store would you all suggest for a cheap price? Not suggested to use a PVC, like for plumbing, due to wind??
Home D or L*wes ....top rail for chain link fences around 1" in diameter and swagged at the end so you can piece together... around 10 bucks for 10 feet.
As mentioned your asking for trouble if you go more than 10-15' without support brackets or guide wires.

Home D or L*wes ....top rail for chain link fences around 1" in diameter and swagged at the end so you can piece together... around 10 bucks for 10 feet.
As mentioned your asking for trouble if you go more than 10-15' without support brackets or guide wires.
Thanks for that advice; Menards was the closest to me (9mi) for a reasonable price. My concern I found out is that top rail is 1 3/8" and, according to my notes, my original mast that came with the antenna and tripod is 1 1/4". Will that pose any type of problem anywhere trying to put up the ten footer ??

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks for that advice; Menards was the closest to me (9mi) for a reasonable price. My concern I found out is that top rail is 1 3/8" and, according to my notes, my original mast that came with the antenna and tripod is 1 1/4". Will that pose any type of problem anywhere trying to put up the ten footer ??

Thanks in advance :)
You should be able to just replace the whole mast w/ the top rail tubing(if you use more than 1 piece I recomend self tapping screws on the swagged end). Or you might be able to U- bolt the two size masts together......

A few weeks back I had a friend take the purchased 10' top rail (Menard's $7.99) and replaced the 5' and re-pointed the uhf-only antenna to 260 degrees for Madison channels (I have been in a cast/on crutches for the past few months). The channels come in 95-100 on most days. This also appears to help my satellite channels from tiling so far (utilizing Dish 722 HDDVR). Also, the Madison Fox affiliate will be switching to a uhf signal by the end of October so I should be all set. I already receive Milwaukee locals with Dish so for football there are times two different games are on Fox, one in Milwaukee and the other on Madison.

Thanx for all the help.

Securing a regular antenna mast is pretty much common sense.

If you get it up close to a building, you may be able to clamp it up against the structure near the top of the pole and avoid guy wiring. Plus you'll have the added advantage of being able to spin the pole to pull in weak signals from other broadcasters.

You'll be able to see how your array behaves in strong wind.

There was a time when I'd run outside before and during storms to make sure everything was okay. But I'm satisfied now, thank goodness!!!

Happy television station hunting!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)