Antenna Help

rrmtx

Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
NC
I am looking for suggestions on selecting an antenna. Not even sure it is worth trying to use an antenna.

Looking at:
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 2.15.18 PM.png

and (TVFool):

1574190852346.png

I know I need to point to the SW. I tried an indoor antenna (before looking at the info above) and didn't get anything. I think I really need a roof mounted antenna. I have no idea what brand model antenna to use. I know anything that claims to go further than 70 miles is wrong. Based on some simple searches I was considering the following: "RCA ANT751R Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna" I would prefer something 360 degrees in the small chance I can pick up anything.

Can anyone offer informed suggestions?

Thanks,
Randy

Forget the 751, way too small. No Omnidirectional antenna will help either. Few are line of sight either it is not hopeless here, but you have to think big. Height will be critical at least 30 feet. Do the VHF low stations interest you (Real channels 2-6), that will determine selection. You could get a real flamethrower VHF low and high/UHF and use a rotator with a good preamp. Option 2 is 2 antennas, without VHF low. A high gain UHF Yagi along with a high gain VHF high Yagi, combined together and run through a preamp. Tough location, have to watch out for preamp overload with those few close in station that are LOS. Attached is a photo of the 2 antenna idea, high gain Yagis for VHF high and UHF. And an all band Winegard HD8200U. Remember receiving 360 degrees means NO GAIN, there is a saying in the radio biz that Omni antennas receive equally poorly in all directions.

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 31PkXrznxHL.jpg
    31PkXrznxHL.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Forget the 751, way too small. No Omnidirectional antenna will help either. Few are line of sight either it is not hopeless here, but you have to think big. Height will be critical at least 30 feet. Do the VHF low stations interest you (Real channels 2-6), that will determine selection. You could get a real flamethrower VHF low and high/UHF and use a rotator with a good preamp. Option 2 is 2 antennas, without VHF low. A high gain UHF Yagi along with a high gain VHF high Yagi, combined together and run through a preamp. Tough location, have to watch out for preamp overload with those few close in station that are LOS. Attached is a photo of the 2 antenna idea, high gain Yagis for VHF high and UHF. And an all band HD8200U. Remember receiving 360 degrees means NO GAIN, there is a saying in the radio biz that Omni antennas receive equally poorly in all directions.

Thank you. I don't "need" 360 just figured I might pick up an extra channel or two. Looking at the above info looks like channels 2-6 would not matter. Mainly trying to pick up something to watch some sports.

Reactions: 907TECH
Don't rule out the RCA 751 it isn't a perfect antenna for your location but it is low cost. Mounting will be important. I have one that is performing at 63 miles just above roof top.

Get the largest antenna you can find. I use a Radio Shack VU-190-XR Antenna (160" boom with 57 elements) with a mast mounted Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp. I do have a rotor on mine but seldom use it as almost all transmitters are in a straight line for me. Yours are spread all around the compass so a rotor would benefit you. At every rescan I lock nearly 70 channels.

antenna-1.jpg

Get the largest antenna you can find. I use a Radio Shack VU-190-XR Antenna (160" boom with 57 elements) with a mast mounted Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp. I do have a rotor on mine but seldom use it as almost all transmitters are in a straight line for me. Yours are spread all around the compass so a rotor would benefit you. At every rescan I lock nearly 70 channels.

View attachment 141814
It might be nice if Radio Shack wasn't out of business. There is no direct replacement for a VU190 so it is back to the drawing board to find something currently in production that will work. The RCA 751 will probably get the 4 major networks and many other channels even if they come from off center of the antenna.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
To achieve your goal of watching sports I’d start by considering an antenna that would get CBS and FOX. FOX from Charlotte has a noise margin of +7 dB. The smallish ANT-751 is marginal for that NM. The angles of 94&101 degrees suggests a DB-4e UHF only antenna. Use a TV-PRAMP-1R preamp. If you’re lucky you might even get NBC with a NM of -4.

Next, consider adding a VHF antenna aimed in another direction. Use the preamp listed in the dual band mode to couple the two antennas. The VHF only antenna could be an ANT-751 as the preamp will filter out the UHF. Aim that antenna at 201 degrees for WSPA and WNTV or at 270 degrees for WLOS.

You could go even further with a second DB-4e aimed at 233 degrees, another ANT-751, and a preamp with its own coax connected to an external tuner that feeds the HDMI input of the TV set.

Reactions: k.r.
You need a medium gain antenna that works on 2-6, 7-13, and 14-36.
The Channel Master CM3018 or RCA3036 and a Winegard LNA-200 preamp would be a good choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)