This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Antenna questions

I've Tried one of these , and got around 7 channels. BUT I never mounted it because i don't want one that needs to rely on a motor/rotor.

Do NOT buy one of these- they claim "150 miles" but they are just cheap Chinese junk. Many threads on here related to this. Beware
Ive already had one, It only cost $35 and it actually did work.
Not 150 miles of course.
But 30.
My towers are around 30 miles away, But I'm in a valley which puts me at the poor scale for OTA.

I'm just wondering about the Antenna in Post 1.
I also found a Pre Amp thats looks sufficient.

I can't speak from experience about the 8-bay antenna pictured in Post 1, but with regards to your question about an amp, I like the RCA TVPRAMP1Z. Works very well, and is only about $25 or less. I'm 50+ miles from my towers and I'm getting everything including some low-power stations

This is what I'm thinking of going with.

Yea, That's not going to happen here.

View attachment 124281
You have several VHF channels a UHF antenna isn't going to get all the local channels. Buy a good branded such as a Winegard or Channel Master antenna designed for VHF/UHF. The more signal the antenna captures the more effective a preamp. will be if needed. All your signals are 2 edge so you are most likely in a valley or on the back side of a hill UHF signals will bend more easily than VHF does. NBC 11, CBS 13 and Independent 9 will be harder to receive. A Winegard 7694 might work for you but don't expect small antennas to be very successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: pamajestic
I use a Channel Master CM-4228 and the CM-7778 pre-amp. I have no trouble receiving VHF-Hi and UHF signals from 45 miles away. Actually, I get Philly on the front side and Baltimore from the back. The CM-4228 is no longer available but the CM-4228HD is.
Amazon product ASIN B000FVVKQM

Reactions: Troch77
The ones in my pictures are both UHF and VHF.

If all his stations are coming from the same direction (West), wouldn't a more directional antenna help him?
I don't want a big antenna and I don't want one that I have to move.
Its going to be 28-30 feet up.

I've heard great success with these, with over 400 and 700 reviews and the both get a 4 +star out of 5 thats good enough.

Yea, That's not going to happen here.

View attachment 124281

You must be from Wayne or Pike county.
I'm from Allentown (Lehigh county) and I have that antenna. Actually, I kept it in two for an indoor setup to Philadelphia, for now.
However, I prefer NEPA stations, and I've been able to get WNEP and WVIA with this antenna. The reason I couldn't get WOLF is because they are on RF 45 and WFMZ is on RF 46 (co-channel int.). I'd need a more directional unit to pull that off. The reason I couldn't pull in WBRE and WYOU is because the distance to Mountain Top is too far for Hi-VHF (WBRE is RF 11, WYOU on 13). The antenna is apparently capable of 25 mile Hi-VHF. You're location is pushing it, but with an outdoor setup and pre-amp, you might be okay.

For the record, I can't get WQPX and WSWB because they broadcast from Scranton, as opposed to Mountain Top (south of Wilkes-Barre)... their signals don't reach Lehigh Valley.