Any BOSTON metro VOOMers?

alsie731 said:
What's this new software upgrade thing?
There is a new software upgrade in the works (has been for a few months) which will allow us to scan for channels so that we can get all of those channels not mapped by VOOM. The date has changed many times for this update. The software is supposed to correct the "microstutter" problem others have reported among other issues.

subdude212

Is this microstutter the picture freeze when you go from one channel to another?? Subdude are you a engineer or in that catagory. I guess I shoulda keep up with that new word a day thing I dropped 30 years ago. I got the old Webster out.

(So, north of Boston they celebrate a day of flatulence? I'm hoping my kids celebrate my paternity and give me a break from the bilabial fricatives. Hey; don't know how to do a quote)

alsie731 said:
Is this microstutter the picture freeze when you go from one channel to another?? Subdude are you a engineer or in that catagory. ... Hey; don't know how to do a quote)
I'm not an engineer, just another VOOM customer.

The "microstutter" issue is found in numerous threads here. You can find an analysis here - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=18894&highlight=microstutter Apparently there is a timecode issue which causes a frame to be displayed for 1/30th of a second longer than it is supposed to thereby giving the effect of a momentary freeze or "microstutter". It isn't the freeze that occurs when you surf from channel to channel. FWIW, in the earliest version of the VOOM software the channel changes took about 6 seconds, the latest code cut that down to about 2 seconds which is about par for satellite systems (cable systems change channels like lightning in comparison). Anyway, some people have actually cancelled VOOM because of the microstutter issue and others tried to spot the problem on their screens and just don't see it. Either way the new software push is supposed to make it history. Then people can get back to compaining about why we don't have the SciFi channel, HGTV or why VOOM is cropping their signal and it couldn't possibly be their HDTV's overscan settings.:eek:

I'm in Nashua, NH.

Got installed a week ago. Due to directionality of the OTA I am set up to receive the boston channels, but don't get WMUR or WENH.

My installer was out of Hudson, NH. Did a great job putting the system together and running the wires in a discreet manner. The inside wiring was already RG6 so that made the install easier.

So, we enjoy a wide selection of local programming and it is nice having several feeds to choose from on WGBX.

subdude212

Finally weather good enough and I moved Locals antenna to a chimney mount and am now getting 15 stations including 38.1 good. No go on 7.2 - 9.1 - 11.1 - 50.1 - 52.1 - 60.1 - 66.1. Lousy mount for chimney from rat shak. Wineguard isn't a bad antenna. I wish they would let us do our own installs. If I end up keeping Voom I will change location of dish. Wish I could see a occasional Sox game on HD. Same with the Pats this fall. I found out they cut my DT* lines at the LNB & used one of them to come in the house for Voom. I ran new lines just in case I switch back. They did tell me if I cancelled and he came back he would switch it back for me.Did give me his home #. I got till Nov to make up my mind. I hope they will make some programming changes.

I am vooming now!!!

It was a super smooth install. No problems at all! The installer did use the diplexer. I am getting all SAT & OTA channels I am supposed to receive.
In almost all respect the Voom Box is superior to Dish 811 which I had before. Its much more stable. There are only two aspects of 811, which I will miss
1. The HD PQ of Voom is definitely inferior to dish 811.
2. For locals, which send out 1080i signal (but pillarboxed), there is no way to strech and fill the screen (Dish 811 * button on the remote) for my 16:9 sony 34XBR910 TV.

No WGBH

smodak said:
It was a super smooth install. No problems at all! The installer did use the diplexer. I am getting all SAT & OTA channels I am supposed to receive.
In almost all respect the Voom Box is superior to Dish 811 which I had before. Its much more stable. There are only two aspects of 811, which I will miss
1. The HD PQ of Voom is definitely inferior to dish 811.
2. For locals, which send out 1080i signal (but pillarboxed), there is no way to strech and fill the screen (Dish 811 * button on the remote) for my 16:9 sony 34XBR910 TV.

I have been getting all these locals until last night.
2.1 - WGBHDT---------->OK
2.2 - WGBHDT2--------->OK
4.1 - WBZDT----------->OK
5.1 - WCVBDT---------->OK
5.2 - WCVBDT2--------->OK
7.1 - WHDHDT---------->OK
25.1 - WFXTDT---------->OK
38.1 - WSBKDT---------->OK
44.1 - WGBXDT---------->OK
44.2 - WGBXDT2--------->OK
44.3 - WGBXDT3--------->OK
44.4 - WGBXDT4--------->OK
56.1 - WLVIDT----------->OK

We had a big thunderstorm last night and now this morning before I left for work I am no longer getting
2.1 - WGBHDT
2.2 - WGBHDT2
All other channels are fine. I tried re-setting the box but no luck. Any pointers as to what should I do next? Anybody else having the same problem?

For Sodak

2.1 & 2.2 are working for me this AM. When I first had install I did not have all locals on my list and sent e/mail after no luck on phone call to Voom and don't know what or who fixed but I had all locals listed on my menu in around 24 hrs. (channels missing were 4.1 & 4.4 for me) Boomers were bad last nite, could your antenna moved a little? Curious; are 2.1. & 2.2 still listed on your menu? Good Luck.

alsie731 said:
2.1 & 2.2 are working for me this AM. When I first had install I did not have all locals on my list and sent e/mail after no luck on phone call to Voom and don't know what or who fixed but I had all locals listed on my menu in around 24 hrs. (channels missing were 4.1 & 4.4 for me) Boomers were bad last nite, could your antenna moved a little? Curious; are 2.1. & 2.2 still listed on your menu? Good Luck.

Thanks alsie731!
I am not sure of the antenna moving but 2.1 and 2.2 are still listed in the guide.
UPN38 , CBS, ABC are all on 44 degree along with PBS, and I am receiving all the other channels.
I have to re-check everything when I go home.
Is there any way to check the signal strength for individual channels in the voom box (like dish 811)?

Thanks Sean!
Since alsie731 is receiving 2.1 and 2.2, I assume they are in the Air.

smodak

Over my head on finding signal strength for locals on our voom box. I have noticed at times I will get the thing stating "No signal" but when I go up 1 channel or down 1 and then go back it comes in. Very frustrating when have had another service with very little trouble to have this happening. Don't be surprised if everything pops back like nothing happened. Everyone talks about a update coming - maybe if it ever does it will straighten things out.

alsie731 said:
Don't be surprised if everything pops back like nothing happened.
You are absolutely right! Everything is working now! And I did not do anything. I just can't explain this!

25 and 56 in eastern MA

I used to get these but now 25 is super weak and 56 appears to be off the air all together. I get all other channels mapped for eastern MA ok. I suspect that 25 may be running low power and hopefully 56 is actually off the air today. Can anyone confirm?

owlbox said:
I used to get these but now 25 is super weak and 56 appears to be off the air all together. I get all other channels mapped for eastern MA ok. I suspect that 25 may be running low power and hopefully 56 is actually off the air today. Can anyone confirm?
I was receiving 56 tonight no problem. However, for the past few weeks I haven't been getting channel 4 nor 25. Anyone else? I was hoping we'd get channel scanning soon so I could scan for these channels and perhaps avoid another round of tweaking my antenna.

Receiving locals

Did not watch Voom last night - was watching dam cable to see Sox play but checked this 9AM. No channel 25 but getting 4, 56. (also 5,7 & others) While doing so I had another freezup and had to reboot. A real P.I.T.A.

Fox 25

Received the following from Fox25.
"WFXT is in the process of upgrading our channel 25 transmitter to a newer more efficient transmitter. To facilitate the process, WFXT will be operating our DTV channel 31 transmitter using a lower power backup transmitter during construction. We are working with all HD cable providers to make sure that they can still receive our signal for their cable systems. However, if you receive WFXT-DT using Over the Air reception you may have difficulties receiving the lower power signal. We apologize for this and hope to complete this process as quickly as possible. There will be some minor service outages on both channels during construction but we hope to keep those to a minimum and during non-peak viewing hours.

We will also be upgrading our DTV facilities during this construction to bring
you the new Fox 720P HDTV programming that is scheduled for this fall. Again we apologize for the inconvenience but hope to have the entire process completed as quickly as possible."

Sweet! :D

chiming in from arlington

just claiming my seat, here in arlington. installs inc (integrisis) did the installation, had some issues at first with one receiver and the local channels, got a new box, and all seems well.

OTA Information

Hello,

I wanted to pass along my experiences with OTA. I live in Oxford 35 from Boston towers. Purchased a DB8 bay UHF from antennasdirect.net out of California....I have spent many many hours playing around with the antenna install with different heigts/locations/cable adjustments/Tuners etc.

I currently have it about 30' up pointing NE. I was hoping to get PROV stations and or Hartford signals knowing that I would have to use a rotor,but am surround surrounded by trees S-SE/SW. Luckily I get a pretty good shot East towards Boston.

I pickup 2.1/2.2/4.1/5.1-2,7.1/25.1/38.1/56.1/68.1-4/44.1-4 all at (81-83dg) where I am....I cannot pull in local Worc stations 29.1/52.1/23.1 at 40deg, I think it has to do with Multipath problems as my tuner has signal that bounces and or the stations are just transmitting power is too low, going to install a RS Yaggi and direct it at 40deg combine the signals and see if I can get them also.

Things that I have found that can make a difference..... I made my own cable with out any splitters in line except a grounding block. Tried a 7775 pre in hopes of boosting my FOXand 56 signal, but as I read here, Fox is working on a new tower (good news). The Preamp actually made everything worse.

I tested and tried several OTA receivers. Tried the Samsung terrestrial and the Terres/DirectTV combo, LGs terrestrial/DVD combo and finally settled on a USdigital brand. USDigital in conjunction with LG/Zenith, introduced one that cost only $190 at Walmart, I liked the LG tuner, but could not justify $350. The tuners sensitivity with all them seemed to be the same

LG/Zenith is supposively working on software the compresses the transmitted signal differently so that in the future hard to pull in stations that are possibly caused by Multipath / bad reception area may be easier to tune by OTA in hard to get areas. Ive read this won't be implemented in the tuner boxes unitl later 04 but also read the technology might not be available commercially until 2005/06

I have though about VOOM but heard that there is not much content still to fill all the stations and that there is a lot of repeat. Any comments on this?

My only advice is that an a great OTA setup takes patience and trial error. Weather can defintely affect the signals with dropouts etc. Line of sight is critical. I am glad to hear that Fox 25 low signal is due to the Tower updates and I suppose 56 will boost there signal soon too.

I hope this helps.

Placonto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)