The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

Actually they already are, those that subscribed to HBO. They are getting a $15 reduction, per month. That just happens to be the cost of HBO Now. I don’t see them crediting non subs $15 because they weren’t paying for it to begin with.

So they aren't charging subscribers for something they aren't receiving? :boom

Reactions: pattykay
The reason why Dish won’t agree to a minimum subscriber count for HBO is because they are bleeding satellite customers and replacing them with less valuable sling customers who subscribe to smaller packages.

If this was 18 years ago, Dish would have agreed to a minimum subscriber count.

But Charlie is partially right in this fight. The content providers need to stop making their content available online. It’s killing the entire pay Tv industry as more and more networks go to streaming services.

The bigger Issue is we are about to see a mass number of channels go dark. Without the contracts from the traditional pay Tv providers, the less popular channels will not enough subscribers and be forced out of business.

Many channels are only in business because they are bundled with more popular channels.

If you really care about HBO, you would have subscribed to HBO Now months ago , not sitting around waiting for Charlie to cut a deal.

Who the heck cares if Dish ever gets HBO back? It is available online, there is no satellite monopoly anymore.

Reactions: jannah and mwdxer1
The reason why Dish won’t agree to a minimum subscriber count for HBO is because they are bleeding satellite customers and replacing them with less valuable sling customers who subscribe to smaller packages.

If this was 18 years ago, Dish would have agreed to a minimum subscriber count.

But Charlie is partially right in this fight. The content providers need to stop making their content available online. It’s killing the entire pay Tv industry as more and more networks go to streaming services.

The bigger Issue is we are about to see a mass number of channels go dark. Without the contracts from the traditional pay Tv providers, the less popular channels will not enough subscribers and be forced out of business.

Many channels are only in business because they are bundled with more popular channels.

I don't see content online going away, and I don't really care if 80% of the "bundled" channels go away. I kind of feel like this day of reckoning is overdue in the industry. Once again, the Internet has disrupted another industry. As someone who worked in the news media during its disruption, my experience tells me some companies will adapt and stick around while others will go away or be so transformed by the process that they become a pale shadow of what they once were and probably lose/sell their soul (if they had one to begin with).

Last edited:
If you really care about HBO, you would have subscribed to HBO Now months ago , not sitting around waiting for Charlie to cut a deal.

Who the heck cares if Dish ever gets HBO back? It is available online, there is no satellite monopoly anymore.

Perhaps, but streaming just isn't a viable option for tens of thousands of households that don't have quality high speed internet simply because it doesn't exist where they live. One of the primary reasons satellite service is still an important option for the market.

Actually they already are, those that subscribed to HBO. They are getting a $15 reduction, per month. That just happens to be the cost of HBO Now. I don’t see them crediting non subs $15 because they weren’t paying for it to begin with.

If a sub calls in and tells them "I would have subscribed during Game of Thrones...", Dish will pony up the 30 dollar credit.

Reactions: pattykay

That is what I did. However, there are viewers that do not have access to High Speed internet and they have little choice.
For content with streaming, the sky is the limit. There are the regular premium movie channels, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, Prime, just to name a few. HBO is not everything. Some of the other streaming services may have access to HBO material too.

Well, if you don't ask for the credit, you definitely will not get it. Dish uses the number of complaints to gauge the popularity of the affected channel(s) and determine whether it is financially worth it to add them back. Again using the AMC dispute as an example, subscribers who complained got a monthly bill credit and a one-time credit for each show they were missing (and a free Roku) so that kind of seems like double-dipping on credits, but Dish did it anyway. If that is what it takes to keep the subscribers happy (or keep them as Dish subscribers at all) and it is still cheaper than paying the extortion demanded by the content owner, Dish will do it. Of course, these days, it is possible to build the streaming app into the Dish receivers, so there is no longer any need for the Roku. Dish just has to be clever enough to partner with someone else who has streaming rights to the HBO content, without Dish needing a contract directly with HBO.

Well, if you don't ask for the credit, you definitely will not get it. Dish uses the number of complaints to gauge the popularity of the affected channel(s) and determine whether it is financially worth it to add them back. Again using the AMC dispute as an example, subscribers who complained got a monthly bill credit and a one-time credit for each show they were missing (and a free Roku) so that kind of seems like double-dipping on credits, but Dish did it anyway. If that is what it takes to keep the subscribers happy (or keep them as Dish subscribers at all) and it is still cheaper than paying the extortion demanded by the content owner, Dish will do it. Of course, these days, it is possible to build the streaming app into the Dish receivers, so there is no longer any need for the Roku. Dish just has to be clever enough to partner with someone else who has streaming rights to the HBO content, without Dish needing a contract directly with HBO.
The difference between AMC and HBO is very distinct. AMC is one channel that fit into many subscriber tiers that included a multitude of other channels. HBO is a standalone premium channel that you must subscibe to to view.

Reactions: sam_gordon
I still say that if Dish knows for sure that they will not have HBO back in time for Game of Thrones, then it would be better for Dish (from a public-relations standpoint) to go ahead and make an announcement while removing the placeholder channels from the 300-311 range (if not next month, then in March at the latest) and stop giving everyone false hope that HBO and Cinemax will return. This would give subscribers enough advance notice to make other arrangements if necessary.

It also occurred to me that perhaps one of the things holding up the Starz negotiations may be that Starz is trying to take advantage of the HBO/Cinemax dispute to negotiate for better channel placement. With the entire 300-317 channel range basically vacant, that would give Starz and StarzEncore the opportunity to move to the beginning of the premium movie channel range, instead of being tacked on near the end. Of course, Epix may want the same thing. With Epix Drive-In already on 292, moving the other Epix channels to 300-302 would put them all in close proximity.

Reactions: joewhite57
I still say that if Dish knows for sure that they will not have HBO back in time for Game of Thrones, then it would be better for Dish (from a public-relations standpoint) to go ahead and make an announcement while removing the placeholder channels from the 300-311 range (if not next month, then in March at the latest) and stop giving everyone false hope that HBO and Cinemax will return. This would give subscribers enough advance notice to make other arrangements if necessary.

It also occurred to me that perhaps one of the things holding up the Starz negotiations may be that Starz is trying to take advantage of the HBO/Cinemax dispute to negotiate for better channel placement. With the entire 300-317 channel range basically vacant, that would give Starz and StarzEncore the opportunity to move to the beginning of the premium movie channel range, instead of being tacked on near the end. Of course, Epix may want the same thing. With Epix Drive-In already on 292, moving the other Epix channels to 300-302 would put them all in close proximity.
It doesn't matter to me what channel placement Stars/Encore has...I already have it memorized anyway. If they moved them, I'd have to re-memorize their channels and redo my TitanTV listings...

What is it that you are disagreeing with? Both of his statements are 100% factual.
The statements are true, but imo far from the greatest tv series ever.
tried to binge watch it two different times, both times was done after a season and a half. I suppose if you liked Harry Potter or Lord of the rings it is for you.
Fantasy just ain't for me...lol

Do you really think that a company is going to put out some news that would cause their customers to leave? Yes it would be nice to know but Dish (or DIRECTV or Comcast or Spectrum) wants to keep as many as they can, not give them a reason to leave.

The statements are true, but imo far from the greatest tv series ever.
tried to binge watch it two different times, both times was done after a season and a half. I suppose if you liked Harry Potter or Lord of the rings it is for you.
Fantasy just ain't for me...lol
Sorry you don't like good TV ;) GOT is nothing like Harry Potter. There are some similarities (the fact that there are dragons and that it takes place in a world with no modern technology) to LOTR, but it is also VERY different.

It is very difficult for me to completely judge a series until it is done. Unless they completely fumble the ending there is no way that it will be outside the top 5. To me, Breaking Bad is still the best television ever produced start to finish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts