The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

I've read that ATT is not just demanding an increase for each HBO subscriber at Dish but wants to charge a fee for each and every Dish subscriber whether they get HBO or not.

Makes it sound like it's more of an ATT attack on Dish to support it's Direct TV than an attempt to get more revenue for HBO.

Reactions: TheKrell
I've read that ATT is not just demanding an increase for each HBO subscriber at Dish but wants to charge a fee for each and every Dish subscriber whether they get HBO or not.

Makes it sound like it's more of an ATT attack on Dish to support it's Direct TV than an attempt to get more revenue for HBO.
That was discussed in the old thread. It was one of my gripes, and was part of my argument that a provider should not be allowed to own a network. I argued that this shows an attempt to eliminate the competition, and others stated that there are more than two options.

In the end, with HBO Now, honestly Dish would be foolish to give in to that demand.

...until Locast expands to more markets. ;)

Yes, I have wondered once Locast hits the Portland OR market, will any viewer in their DMA get the channels? Or will it only be the immediate Portland area? If I do qualify for it, Portland have a low power station (KUNP-16) that carries Univision that was on Dish, as well as Direct and cable. As Locast expands what will they be carrying in the future, diginets?

Reactions: pattykay
Never say never, we waited years to get Disney and some of the ESPN channels in HD. Those were a running joke around here for years, with them topping bluegrass and others' lists of channels they want in HD, over and over and over. The same happened for 24/7 RSNs. My bigger question is what returns first, HBO/Cinemax or Univision?

I would guess HBO.

Never say never, we waited years to get Disney and some of the ESPN channels in HD. Those were a running joke around here for years, with them topping bluegrass and others' lists of channels they want in HD, over and over and over. The same happened for 24/7 RSNs. My bigger question is what returns first, HBO/Cinemax or Univision?
Disney XD HD will return before either of those.

Reactions: The Fat Man
Because the final season of Game of Thrones starts on April 14th...
Do you think a TV show would be the game changer? That is hard to believe. I feel if Dish & AT&T can get to some reasonable agreement without over charging for viewers the HBO through Dish does not have, maybe something will happen. If Direct TV can offer HBO for $5, then AT&T should offer the same for any satellite or cable service. But what is fair is this day and age.Oh course with streaming, the viewer can sub directly to HBO & Cinemax.

Do you think a TV show would be the game changer? That is hard to believe. I feel if Dish & AT&T can get to some reasonable agreement without over charging for viewers the HBO through Dish does not have, maybe something will happen. If Direct TV can offer HBO for $5, then AT&T should offer the same for any satellite or cable service. But what is fair is this day and age.Oh course with streaming, the viewer can sub directly to HBO & Cinemax.
I answered your question “why April?” GOT has a cult following and has been called the greatest TV series, ever. Your question was in reply to a prior statement that said if HBO is not back by April it never will be. There are many ways for GOT to be had without Dish and Dish knows it. They are not going to be held hostage or lose money with a bad deal. They will just walk away....

Reactions: Kay Eissler
Do you think a TV show would be the game changer? That is hard to believe.
It worked before. Look at when the AMC dispute finally ended, only a couple of weeks into the season of The Walking Dead. (AMC had already made the first episode of that season available streaming for free.) Of course, in that dispute, Dish's position was that they could give each subscriber who complained about missing The Walking Dead (or any other AMC show) a bill credit to cover the cost of streaming that show, and it would be cheaper than paying AMC what they were demanding. If the same principle holds true here, any Dish subscriber who complains about missing Game of Thrones could get an additional credit on their Dish bill to cover the cost of streaming HBO. :)

It worked before. Look at when the AMC dispute finally ended, only a couple of weeks into the season of The Walking Dead. (AMC had already made the first episode of that season available streaming for free.) Of course, in that dispute, Dish's position was that they could give each subscriber who complained about missing The Walking Dead (or any other AMC show) a bill credit to cover the cost of streaming that show, and it would be cheaper than paying AMC what they were demanding. If the same principle holds true here, any Dish subscriber who complains about missing Game of Thrones could get an additional credit on their Dish bill to cover the cost of streaming HBO. :)
Actually they already are, those that subscribed to HBO. They are getting a $15 reduction, per month. That just happens to be the cost of HBO Now. I don’t see them crediting non subs $15 because they weren’t paying for it to begin with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)