The OFFICIAL DISH / HBO Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It looks like Dish may be preparing to go at least another whole month without HBO and Cinemax, based on the channels they have chosen to put in free preview for the month of February: Free Channel Previews | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support

Comedy Central, Fox Movie Channel, MGM HD, and Viceland

This sure looks like an attempt to replace the missing HBO content, for subscribers who do not already have the above-listed channels in their base package. Also, with two movie channels (Fox Movie Channel and MGM) in free preview, that makes me wonder if the HDNet Movies free preview will finally end, or if it will end up getting extended for another month like Dish has been doing with HDNet Movies every month since the HBO dispute began.

Comedy Central seems like an odd choice. Are there any packages that don’t already include it?
I am pretty sure Smart Pack doesn't have it, and maybe some of the lower-tier Latino packages. Dish has done free previews of Comedy Central before, and that was also around this same time of year, so the timing could just be a coincidence in this case. I was thinking maybe Dish saw it as a replacement for HBO Comedy, for the few HBO subscribers who do not already have Comedy Central.

True Detective premier is now and HBO Now is unresponsive. Probably overloaded. How is this better than what we had before with Dish?

To be honest, by this point Dish has proven that they can get along just fine without HBO and Cinemax. In fact, it looks like Dish is doubling down on this approach by no longer promoting Starz, either, which means that the Starz channels may be next to disappear. If that happens, Dish might as well just drop all of the premium movie services when each contract expires, and be done with it. Starting with Univision, then HBO/Cinemax, then whatever gets dropped next, we may very well be in the era of "permanent" channel removals.

I was going to say the same thing.

I don’t think HBO is coming back unless Charlie gets it on his terms.

I don’t think AT&T cares they are back on dish either and would rather see customers slowly convert to Directv or drop Dish all together.

It’s a win win for both parties

Reactions: Kay Eissler

I don’t think AT&T cares they are back on dish either and would rather see customers slowly convert to Directv or drop Dish all together.

Now if Direct is not going to stay with satellite in the distant future, Dish may be our only choice for satellite.

I agree. This can't be a very comfortable spot for Charlie. He's kind of like a Chevy dealer who has to put Fords on his lot at an inflated price with a minimum sales quota. Nobody likes to promote their competition.

I think it boils down to those who care about HBO, and those who don't. I only care about it when Westworld seasons come out. Otherwise, it makes zero difference to me.
Remember. At&t owns both HBO and Directv.

So they can fiddle with total billing to raise HBO package costs for competitors.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

It looks like the normal money issue to me. AT&T wants more. My DISH package for both Showtime and HBO is or was $15/month. HBO through Amazon Prime is $15/month by itself.

And how much do you suppose it would be if Dish has to pay AT&T for significantly more subscribers than they actually have?

The US Justice Department was right to try to block the purchase of Time Warner by AT&T last summer for 85 Billion as anti-trust. The Justice Department said the purchase "would harm competition and raise prices for consumers." Yep. They didn't wait long did they?

To reply to your question though, I would guess AT&T would like something approaching what Amazon Prime charges or some guarantee in that neighborhood. I have a suspicion that what they would actually prefer is having a direct to consumer streaming model so they don't have to split the take with anyone. Something like CBS with Star Trek, ad-free FX, et.al. are trying to establish.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
AT&T wants Dish to pay for a guaranteed number of subscribers that exceeds the number that Dish had before the take down. Someone has to pay for those non-existent subscribers, and I wouldn't expect Charlie to pay it from his lunch money. I absolutely agree that AT&T wants a streaming model, they've made that quite clear. One way they can do that is to price the product offered to other carriers out of reach, making it more economical for the competitor's subscribers to subscribe directly with AT&T. Mandating an unrealistic subscriber count is just one way to raise the price without actually changing the per subscriber price.Yes, the DOJ was right to try to to block the deal. Too bad they failed...

The US Justice Department was right to try to block the purchase of Time Warner by AT&T last summer for 85 Billion as anti-trust. The Justice Department said the purchase "would harm competition and raise prices for consumers." Yep. They didn't wait long did they?

To reply to your question though, I would guess AT&T would like something approaching what Amazon Prime charges or some guarantee in that neighborhood. I have a suspicion that what they would actually prefer is having a direct to consumer streaming model so they don't have to split the take with anyone. Something like CBS with Star Trek, ad-free FX, et.al. are trying to establish.

Which brings us back to what has been discussed before on this thread. Those who can stream will do so a month or two a year, and those who can’t stream won’t.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts