Any Changes for RTV and PBJ lineup for the 4th Quarter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
I don't know why RTV is showing that newer crime drama, and the A&E investagative show. Also, that Daytime show is just terrible. These shows do not belong on a retro station. They have too much competition to be shooting themselves in the foot. It's no wonder some markets have replaced it with ME-TV.

I agree ME TV is basically real retro tv and has the good classic shows, while RTV has become a mix of recent shows (that were hardly a success) and some old shows, that are not the best.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
I agree about the RTV programming not being the best, but...

What I do like about RTV compared to Antenna TV, MeTV, COZI, etc is that they air rare programming that is not often seen on the other channels such as "The Real McCoys", 'Hopalong Cassidy", "The Colgate Comedy Hour", "Ozzie & Harriet", "Soupy Sales", "Route 66", etc.

Shows such as "The Brady Bunch", "Happy Days", "Little House on the Prarie", etc that some of the other channels air we all seen a zillion times and can often be found on other channels as well.

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
At my dad's home there has been a dish pointed at 83W for RTV for several years and he stopped watching RTV a long time ago since we have MeTV and Antenna TV networks OTA.

I was thinking about switching him over to 103W for COZI TV.

KMRichards

Dec 14, 2012
San Fernando Valley, CA
I don't know why RTV is showing that newer crime drama, and the A&E investagative show. Also, that Daytime show is just terrible. These shows do not belong on a retro station. They have too much competition to be shooting themselves in the foot. It's no wonder some markets have replaced it with ME-TV.

I did some "detective work" for a post on another message board I belong to that has a discussion going on the digital sub-channel networks, and here's what I found regarding RTV's present dismal schedule:

1. The bulk of their schedule comes from two lesser program syndicators: SFM Entertainment and the Peter Rodgers Organization. SFM provides "The Real McCoys", "The Joey Bishop Show", "Hopalong Cassidy", "Jim Bowie", and the Martin & Lewis "The Colgate Comedy Hour" kinescopes (all of which they also sell on DVD). Rodgers provides "Movin' On", "The Cisco Kid", "The New Zorro", "The Bill Cosby Show", "Tarzan" (both versions), "Robin Hood", "Black Beauty", "The Comedy Shop", "The Saint", "I Spy", and "The Campbells". Apparently Luken has managed to run off all of the major syndication companies and is now scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel.
2. The "Daytime" show originates from WFLA-TV, which is owned by Media General, who run RTV on most of their stations' subchannels, so I'm sure Luken has it on the schedule to keep them happy.
3. "DaVinci's Inquest" and "Cold Squad" come from Program Partners, who also provide the reruns of "Merv Griffin's Crosswords". Apparently they are half-owners of the Griffin show.
4. Most, if not all, of the pre-1964 "Ozzie and Harriet" shows' original syndication prints inadvertently fell into the public domain and Shout Factory syndicates those. They also claim ownership of "Route 66" and "Naked City", which is the subject of some controversy as Sony Pictures Television also claims ownership; this is why both of the latter two shows also appear on the MeTV schedule, with Shout syndicating to RTV and Sony syndicating the same episodes to MeTV.
5. Also in the public domain are the entire first season and about half of the season two episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" and these are the ones shown on RTV. I haven't been able to determine where they got them, but there are apparently tons of 16mm prints of the 55 public domain episodes floating around, so it could have been anywhere. (CBS Paramount syndicates the non-PD episodes to MeTV.)

The above covers better than 90% of the non-infomercial schedule of RTV and I hope it answers some of the questions people have had.

Last edited:

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
I agree about the RTV programming not being the best, but...

What I do like about RTV compared to Antenna TV, MeTV, COZI, etc is that they air rare programming that is not often seen on the other channels such as "The Real McCoys", 'Hopalong Cassidy", "The Colgate Comedy Hour", "Ozzie & Harriet", "Soupy Sales", "Route 66", etc.

And the Joey Bishop show

Keith Brannen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 2, 2006
Southwestern Ontario
Did a quick look at the first week of January schedule for RTV on titantv.com. They have shuffled some of the shows around, and have added home, food, and travel shows. Basically, nothing retro now on the channel until 1 p.m.

EDIT: Weekday shows gone: Black Beauty, Tarzan, Cisco Kid, and I Spy. No new retro shows added (just the above other shows).

Last edited:

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
A game show will be shown on weekday afternoons also, and I don´t see any new retro shows, it looks like it will be even less retro tv starting next year.

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
What a shame. Plus we never saw RTV 2 appear. I was looking at the list of shows available as public domain and there are many that a channel such as RTV could be showing if money is tight.

Good point, I wonder how come they want to work on TNN becoming a success and launching other channels (car tv, etc) when they went asleep with RTV, and instead of working on keeping a pole position they have lost market to ME TV.

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
Did a quick look at the first week of January schedule for RTV on titantv.com. They have shuffled some of the shows around, and have added home, food, and travel shows. Basically, nothing retro now on the channel until 1 p.m.

Those travel shows are on now.

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
Well we are now down to the last month for the first quarter of 2013. Hopefully the Luken channels will have some changes in their programming for the second quarter and add some more retro programming and not newer shows. While I do enjoy a few of their retro shows that they currently air, a rotation of their lineup is greatly needed.

DJdish

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 20, 2010
Mexico City
Well we are now down to the last month for the first quarter of 2013. Hopefully the Luken channels will have some changes in their programming for the second quarter and add some more retro programming and not newer shows. While I do enjoy a few of their retro shows that they currently air, a rotation of their lineup is greatly needed.

I totally agree with you that they are in desperate need of some changes in their programming if they want to stay watchable, even though they have let ME TV, Antenna TV and COZI TV take lead positions in retro programming, and if they don´t want to lose more affiliates to ME TV.

Currently I just tune RTV for Lassie, Joey Bishop show, and once in a while for The Saint.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
They really need to return to the programming that got them started in the business. I can remember with fondness looking forward to Saturday nights on RTV. Now I rarely watch anymore.

kodaz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
North East PA
i feel the same way as tron, i turn to rtv and there seldom seems to be anything of interest on there to me .
even 3 years ago, i watched rtv sat nights

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts