Any info on SAMI 8ft Mesh Dish?

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
I recovered this 8ft mesh today and was glad to see it was Made in the USA by SAMI. Does anyone here currently use one for C-Band? I am hoping it is a solid performer. This dish seems to be in good condition, considering how long it has been out of service. It has an old EchoStar LNBF.

Attachments

• dish sami 8ft.jpg
    dish sami 8ft.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 334
Reactions: EmCommSat
Had one of those a few years back and it was, well, AN EIGHT FOOTER! Meaning that it's just not big enough and I replaced it with a Unimesh 10 footer. Sold that SAMI to a guy in Charlottesville, Va for cheap that included a receiver and never heard anything from him again??

But, when you're just starting out I guess any dish is better than no dish! Just keep your eyes open for at least a 10 footer to replace that one.

I'm using one in mid-Michigan, and I get nearly everything out there on C-band. In my case, at least 95%+ of what's possible. There's only a few signals I can't keep locked, but most of those are scrambled signals and unusable anyway.

I really recommend a 10 footer if your lot can accommodate one and there's one available to you, however if all you have is that 8 footer, it's worth putting up to try it. I recommend that you put a pole up tall enough and strong enough to eventually switch to a 10 footer though. That way you are covered in case you eventually decide to go larger.

P.s. It's NOT all that good at getting KU signals, with a dual C/Ku lnbf however.

I recovered this 8ft mesh today and was glad to see it was Made in the USA by SAMI. Does anyone here currently use one for C-Band? I am hoping it is a solid performer. This dish seems to be in good condition, considering how long it has been out of service. It has an old EchoStar LNBF.

LNBF?

That blue box is a skew motor (for changing polarity), you have an LNB.

Also, look at all that extra wiring by the feedhorn, an LNBF does not need that. Why is it there?

I have a semi 7.5' and a semi 10'. Both are excellent. The little 7.5 pulls in most of the c band up there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: primestar31
I'm using one in mid-Michigan, and I get nearly everything out there on C-band. In my case, at least 95%+ of what's possible. There's only a few signals I can't keep locked, but most of those are scrambled signals and unusable anyway.

I really recommend a 10 footer if your lot can accommodate one and there's one available to you, however if all you have is that 8 footer, it's worth putting up to try it. I recommend that you put a pole up tall enough and strong enough to eventually switch to a 10 footer though. That way you are covered in case you eventually decide to go larger.

P.s. It's NOT all that good at getting KU signals, with a dual C/Ku lnbf however.
I'll get a long enough pipe to allow for a 10ft. This is just what I have found so far, except for an old friend who has a black mesh dish up in her back yard. She said it is either 8 or 10ft, so maybe I'll get a 10ft for free...

Either way, my Primestar 75 has Ku covered fairly well. I'll just go straight C-Band on the SAMI.

Reactions: primestar31

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts