Any New Channels Today 4-18-08

Maybe they took it down to allow for bandwidth on something somebody would really care to watch!

;) , I was thinking of a four letter word that equaled amazing.

haha i feel ya on that one. man..i'm glad i was already jaded towards dish before i signed up, people on this forum take it to a whole new level.

love to hate ya dish :cool:

I have a theory on why Dish is having a hard time adding channels, and it may not be "just" money.

Normally, a content owner does not let a cable / satellite provider carry primary stations (in standard def OR high def) unless that provider agrees to carry secondary channels as well. And those content owners want those "secondary stations" to reach as many customers as you can get them to.

IE... if you own a cable / satellite company and want to carry The Disney Channel, be prepared to also agree to provide your basic cable / satellite customers with ABC Family, Toon Disney, ESPN and many other Disney owned channels to everyone in your "basic" programming tier.

Now, this works fine for Dish in most cases because they follow these rules with top 100, top 200, etc.

However, now that they have added the HD only pack, there is a disparity. Disney wants you to provide every customer with ABC Family, Toon Disney, etc. if you are going to give that customer the Disney Channel (in HD or SD). But, Dish only wants to give "HD Only" customers just the HD channels -- in Dish Network's plan, while the HD only customer would get Disney HD, they would NEVER get Disney owned stations that aren't in HD.

So, in contract negotiations, everything goes fine until someone at the content provider realizes that all these "HD only customers" won't get the secondary channels. They then tell Dish to "give the HD only customers the secondary channels, or we won't give you Disney HD (or USA HD, or SciFi HD, or whatever). And Dish responds by saying "No, we only are providing HD channels to HD only customers". The content provider then responds by not signing the contract to allow Dish to carry Disney HD.

I have subscribed to the HD Only package since Feb. 1, and I personally love it. However, I do think it is precisely what is holding up Dish from getting new HD.

Comments, anyone?