Any new hd channel additions coming soon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, slightly worse HD is not better than no HD IMO. But I have everything I care about short of BBCA. I can handle having that one channel look worse, as opposed to most of the HD channels looking worse. I also prefer Directv's service, and I have had both several times.

Isnt "hooper" a movie with Jan Michael Vincent?

So I'm with D* and thinking about switching to E* as my promo pricing has ended and they won't give me any more... Plus a few channels my wife and I watch aren't in hd but are on at E*. Plus the new hooper is cool.

I see here that d* has better PQ. But isn't slightly worse HD better than no HD. Hmmm this has me thinking now....

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm with D* and thinking about switching to E* as my promo pricing has ended and they won't give me any more... Plus a few channels my wife and I watch aren't in hd but are on at E*. Plus the new hooper is cool.

I see here that d* has better PQ. But isn't slightly worse HD better than no HD. Hmmm this has me thinking now....

You won't notice the difference....

I find it quite interesting that people with high quality HDTV sets cannot see a difference, or see only a slight difference. To my eyes there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in picture quality, with D*'s being much better.

And I am not a D*-bigot. I was with Dish for almost 10 years and was a happy customer, loved their DVRs. Would not have switched if not for their degraded HD image quality. My neighbor still has Dish and I check it from time to time. They have tuned it so that for bright images and low motion, it looks decent. But all of that compression really shows up in scenes with low light or low contrast or lots of reds & oranges with motion, amongst other times. On some movies and programs, I think it is terrible.

I don't care how many more HD channels Dish offers, or if their DVRs completely blow D*'s away. If Dish offered twice as many HD channels for 50% less per month. If the difference in image quality remains the same as it is now, I'm sticking with D*.

All of that said, the best broadcast HD I have ever seen was a few years ago when Dish was giving HDNET about half the bandwidth off of one transponder, around 15-16 Mbps. It was incredibly detailed. Akin to a high quality Blu Ray. Recording a movie ate up a lot of hard drive space. The early days of the VOOM channels were very good too.

I find it quite interesting that people with high quality HDTV sets cannot see a difference, or see only a slight difference. To my eyes there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in picture quality, with D*'s being much better.

And I am not a D*-bigot. I was with Dish for almost 10 years and was a happy customer, loved their DVRs. Would not have switched if not for their degraded HD image quality. My neighbor still has Dish and I check it from time to time. They have tuned it so that for bright images and low motion, it looks decent. But all of that compression really shows up in scenes with low light or low contrast or lots of reds & oranges with motion, amongst other times. On some movies and programs, I think it is terrible.

I don't care how many more HD channels Dish offers, or if their DVRs completely blow D*'s away. If Dish offered twice as many HD channels for 50% less per month. If the difference in image quality remains the same as it is now, I'm sticking with D*.

I feel the same way, but it's not worth going back and forth about. It's proven (people watching satellite in vivid mode vs a calibrated set) that PQ arguments just cause ill will. I think the folks who truly care about PQ and not quantity just about all agree Directv is better. I just think about all my relatives watching tv in torch mode...

When it comes to PQ, it is too bad that we can no longer subscribe to the master feeds from C-Band like back in the VCII and even 4DTV days. Some of the HD feeds that are FTA are outstanding when it comes to quality.

I was a long time E* customer also and now have D*. I think the HD picture quality is much better on D* than what I had on E*. I also think the SD quality was actually better on E* than it is on D*. I miss some of the channels that I watch that are not in HD, H2, BBCA, on D* but I'm enjoying the better HD video quality on D*.

Earl

The problem with PQ is everyone has a different setup. TV's are not all equal and when you throw that with view distance, size and eye sight there is way too much variance.

Personally I agree that D* does have a better HD picture. You can see it side by side. Not flipping inputs, but side by side it is obvious. Does that mean the average user should see it or care when its not side by side? I don't think they would. Especially if your set isn't retardly huge for the room size.

There are plenty of reasons to choose D*, PQ wouldn't be on my list I don't think its THAT much better when not side by side. If Dish was 20% cheaper ( they are not) and didn't pork you so much for every box I'd probably be with them instead.

Why do those "vivid" (my Samsung TV calls it "dynamic" - I assume we're talking about the same thing) modes exist? They're just unwatchable!

I find DirecTV HD PQ to be comparable to slightly better than Dish but SD is noticeably worse, almost unwatchable on some programs. I have not regretted switching to DirecTV for a second but if they can't improve the quality of their SD content, I wish they would add more HD versions of channels carried only in SD currently.

My wife doesn't see any difference at all between D* and E* HD quality. But then she also doesn't see any difference between Blu-Ray and upscaled DVD. There are millions upon millions of people who believe that DVD is HD. So I don't doubt for a second that a lot of people don't notice the difference between D* HD vs E* HD. If I didn't, I'd go back to E*.

But if they started removing HD channels they could really crank up that picture quality on the few that remain..... Quality over quantity.... we need as few HD channels per transponder as possible

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts