any new HD rumors for 5.1.08?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Ok back from my meeting and from taking my wife to the hospital.

Again here is what I said.

I was told by a few Dish contacts earlier in the month that because of the AMC-14 situation Dish wanted to show the world they were still serious about their HD additions and that the AMC14 issue would not delay any of the planned HD rollout (which was scheduled to happen before AMC4 was going to be ready to use anyways)

I was told that by the end of the month we would see a lot more HD on Dish.

And Dish HAS delivered on the HD locals side of things and that has been a good thing. However I personally do not consider 3 new national HD channels "a lot."

I am the one who set the May 1st date to give Dish time to make good on what I have been told (i.e. by the end of the month)

I do NOT know what Dish has planned for tomorrow if anything. This week has been a strange week and it has been VERY quiet from my contacts. Normally by now I get a copy of this weeks planned uplinks but have not received it from any of my contacts. (which is also very strange)

I do know there are about 6 HD channels up there ready to go. I dont know whats currently on them but I can tell you that they are up and showing something. (and its not a static slate)

Willl they get turned on this week? Your guess is as good as mine.

I got the following email from Dish Network tonight with a list of HD channels coming soon...
Untitled Document

I got to be honest looking through the list of upcoming channels, none of them really interest me. I have most of them on DirecTV (and a few of them are not on the air yet) I got to admit I was very happy with the addition of USA HD (I really dont watch SCIFI channel)

Again looking at that list most of those channels dont show more then 5% of their shows in HD. My question is, is a channel really HD just because you are told its an HD channel? How much true HD should a channel show before it is called a true HD channel.

But I digress, this is about what will Dish do this week.

I am not making excuses for Dish Network, nor am I Dish Network. It seems as some folks get mad at me because of Dish Networks doings, something I have no control over. Again I just report to you what I am hearing. I could just not report anything, but how dull would that be. If you dont want to hear the rumors and be one of the mindless drones I cn suggest another satellite forum where you will fit in fine. However I will continue holding my er to the ground and reporting what I am hearing.

I am like Fox News, I report, YOU decide.

Tomorrow should be interesting, and like you I will be waiting for the uplink just like you.

Come on Dish, show us what you can do. :)

I see from the untitled document, that the Smithsonian Channel HD has disappeared.
It was one of the two that I was interested in, the other being MGM HD.

I see from the untitled document, that the Smithsonian Channel HD has disappeared.
It was one of the two that I was interested in, the other being MGM HD.
I likesd Smithsonian when it first came to DirecTV, but now it repeats more then the VOOM channels do.

I haven't really havent watch MGM HD yet, none of the movies have even peaked my interest.

Do you know which channel they're re-branding? I have looked at all the tv schedules and can't find any evidence of this new channel. However, I have noticed that Film Fest seems to have a very bizarre line up. Really, as long as they don't touch Monsters or Film Fest, I don't care. :D

I believe it's WorldCinemaHD to become VoomHD Movies. I just looked at it, pretty good.

I likesd Smithsonian when it first came to DirecTV, but now it repeats more then the VOOM channels do.

I haven't really havent watch MGM HD yet, none of the movies have even peaked my interest.

Thanks, I guess none of them interest me then!!!!:)

I think Dish may have shot themselves in the foot with the email that they sent out today. It's almost like thier saying "we don't know when anything is coming but stayed tuned". I'm afraid a lot of people are not going to stay tuned. Directv is eating lunch right now both with locals and nationals.

This is not good.

Just got an email from one of my good contacts informing me of no new national HD channels this week. :(

For once I hope this contact is wrong.

they may have shot themselves in the foot.but lets hope they turn on more by friday.they do need to add more national hd not just 3 this month since direct is eating them bad:)

This is not good.

Just got an email from one of my good contacts informing me of no new national HD channels this week. :(

For once I hope this contact is wrong.

lets hope scott or dish maybe in alot of trouble with people talking about switching to direct but lets see

Thanks Scott! I really appreciate all the info you can tell us, even if Dish changes their plans. Even if all of it doesn't come to be.

I just see people whining for HD channels that really don't exist. Don't let them get you down!

See ya
Tony

Thanks Scott! I really appreciate all the info you can tell us, even if Dish changes their plans. Even if all of it doesn't come to be.

I just see people whining for HD channels that really don't exist. Don't let them get you down!

See ya
Tony

+1:up

Anything in HD is better than nothing in HD.

Weather Channel in HD is near the top of my list. I've probably watched all of the listed channels at some point in SD, so I would do the same if they were in HD even though my viewing interest is sporadic.

Thanks, Scott, for your interesting post. Boredom Avoidance is certainly my goal. And so, on to the NBA playoffs in HD.

Regards,
Fitzie

Don't worry Scott, I don't think anybody is blaming you for any of this. If they are then they are just flat wrong. What I don't understand is the local thing. Dish's customer base here in Memphis has eroded probably 50% over the past few months purely over local coverage. As more people panic over the DT switch over, it will probably get worse. I respect Charlie (I wouldn't want his job for what he gets paid), but it's time to let people know what is what. Loyal cutomers will understand. It's the feeling that no one knows or everything is a secret that is starting to get to me. The emails from the excutive office stating that no one knows when or if a certain thing will happen does not bring confidence to the table. As someone who has been a vice-president for a fortune 500 company, I will state point blank: someone better know.

Don't worry Scott, I don't think anybody is blaming you for any of this. If they are then they are just flat wrong. What I don't understand is the local thing. Dish's customer base here in Memphis has eroded probably 50% over the past few months purely over local coverage. As more people panic over the DT switch over, it will probably get worse. I respect Charlie (I wouldn't want his job for what he gets paid), but it's time to let people know what is what. Loyal cutomers will understand. It's the feeling that no one knows or everything is a secret that is starting to get to me. The emails from the excutive office stating that no one knows when or if a certain thing will happen does not bring confidence to the table. As someone who has been a vice-president for a fortune 500 company, I will state point blank: someone better know.
50%- you really know or think it's that high. It amazes me that people think dish is run by idiots, and it may well be, but how does anyone here really know. Just because a minute number of their customers bitch and moan here most people have no idea of whats going on. I'm not saying they aren't losing some but is it that bad that they are circling the drain? Sorry about the bitching , just all this bitching (ironic ain 't it) is depressing me. Well not really but...

50%- you really know or think it's that high. It amazes me that people think dish is run by idiots, and it may well be, but how does anyone here really know. Just because a minute number of their customers bitch and moan here most people have no idea of whats going on. I'm not saying they aren't losing some but is it that bad that they are circling the drain? Sorry about the bitching , just all this bitching (ironic ain 't it) is depressing me. Well not really but...

Easy, simple observation over a 8 year period. Also very familiar with the Omaha, Lincoln Nebraska market, the Jackson, MS market and the Twin City market. I also own Dish and Sat stock and get quarterly reports. By the way, I along with the local Fox channel, identified and cornered the encoder problem that Dish was having some time back with OTA transmission and Dish receivers. I am not a Idiot. Dish's Program Management team sent me a thank you award and jokingly offered me a job in their program management.

I really wish E* would improve their picture quality before they add any more HD. My guess is, if adding more HD is the priority, then the HD picture quality will get worse instead of getting better. I have seen many of the so called HD channels on D* and I'm here to tell you that, you can keep most of them. I can wait.

See ya
Tony

+2:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)