Any New Receivers Coming?

Yes, 722 have new chip 7412 instead of 7411, but it not prevent 622 have DISHOnline and you can use it with 622 now.

From what I recall the 622 will not do hd Dishonline, the 722 will due to this chip. Again, they have to get the bugs out of the Dishonline first.

Dish is waiting as long as possible for attrition, usually upgrades at the customer's expense, before they swap out, and they will swap out. Right now, they aren't in a hurry as it will cost them money, but when the time is right and they can no longer put it off, a swap-out of all legacy boxes will probably occur. Of course, it will take time to swap-out. Right now it makes more economic and logistical sense for Dish and Direct to invest in the multiple satellites and slots and multi-LNBF dishes they now offer as a solution for 8PSK-MPEG4. I'm guessing the by the end 2012 (I think even Charlie has mentioned 2012 as a target) Dish will probably no longer support Legacy boxes, in this case meaning QPSK-MPEG2. I believe the reason all these "leased" Dish slots and the few leased sats mean that at some point Dish intends everything to be available at the 110 &119 slots. Of course, improvements in technology, more efficient MPEG4 encoders and things we don't even know about might make this possible.

Last edited:
From what I recall the 622 will not do hd Dishonline, the 722 will due to this chip. Again, they have to get the bugs out of the Dishonline first.
Could someone post a picture from DISHOnline menu where is the "HD" version of movie marked or described.
I did scroll thru 439 movies on 622 yesterday and checked a few items like Transformers, but don't see any hint if it HD or SD.

Charlie's PPV is too darn expensive for us - we have a 622 with a 750GB external drive (Seagate HD + external case - both from newegg.com) and we are quite happy.

--Doug

Why would Dish upgrade to a new DVR?

They got just about one of the best DVR's in the industry. Have you ever had to put up with a Time Warner or DirecTV DVR?

Dish has the best equipment hands down in my opinion.

As the saying goes... if it ain't broke...

I think its too early to worry about legacy equipment until Dish stop selling it. Heck with mandatory $7 HD enable fee they are actively keeping people from running the newest equipment.

And don't expect to see a box with 2 HDTV outputs. As has been discussed many times in many threads, feeding a second HDTV "in the clear" over a coax cable just isn't going to happen. Content providers won't allow it, they're worried about their HD being stolen and passed around the internet. And if you're going to send it encoded and encrypted over coax to a second box at that second HDTV, might as well just have a regular receiver there.

There are some sling media receivers coming out.. but i sadly wasnt there enough to get info on that :( i was part of the executive resolution team but well.. i was THIS close .. but i quit LOL

What about the new 612's? back to single boxes for each tv...HD capable for each tv(not like the 722 HD tuner one, SD tuner two) not haveing to worry about my TV2 changeing channels when a recording starts..plus the ability to record one program while watching another...) even though they are dual tuners they are designated to 1 tv which means you should be allowed to have at least a 4 room hook up as before.

What I do not understand is why is Dish still selling or leasing Mpeg2 receivers. Even there basic receivers should be mpeg4.

What I do not understand is why is Dish still selling or leasing Mpeg2 receivers. Even there basic receivers should be mpeg4.

Because MPEG 4 equipment carries a higher price point than the el cheapo customers want to pay. As usual they think they should get upgrades to the newest equipment for free. By maintaining the legacy equipment, you are offering them a choice: stay with the legacy equipment you have or upgrade at your expense.

This goes back to the "if you buy a car" analogy... Unfortunately, there's a lot of people that DO think since a company releases a new "2009" model, they should get to have it for free since they bought the 2008. Must be nice to live in that kind of fantasy world.

What about the new 612's? back to single boxes for each tv...HD capable for each tv(not like the 722 HD tuner one, SD tuner two) not haveing to worry about my TV2 changeing channels when a recording starts..plus the ability to record one program while watching another...) even though they are dual tuners they are designated to 1 tv which means you should be allowed to have at least a 4 room hook up as before.

Those receivers the 612s are coming back in late april early may. They are not being sold march in dius. They basically ran out and are making more.

because not all of us want hd, actually around 75% -80% of dish subscribers dont have hd or want it. Around 30% of those are latino customers and like 15% dont watch english channels.

Accidentally came across those stats when surfing their starbase homepage.

Dont quote me on the percentages.. but it was close.

VIP622 problem using manual timers on PPV Sports DirectKick

322 & Lost Locks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)